Minimalism - liberation or flirting with disaster

avintagegirl

Hello all,

Recently I have begun to feel overwhelmed by "Stuff". I have been interested in the idea of minimalism for years. My heart is in a happy place when I look around and see...nothing. I love clear surfaces.

However, clear surfaces are not what I see. I see containers and holders of stuff. Some of it is essential - hair ties, bobby pins, headphones, lip balms, and other things like earrings and the daily bits and bobs of life.

Has anyone here adopted a minimalist lifestyle? What were your challenges? Was it worth it?

casey.lives

I only like keeping toe things: things I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT and things I REALLY NEED. I don't necessarily feel liberated.. I just feel socially responsible and happier

• Like 2
Clarence_Boddicker

Almost nothing we possess in life is essential. From the list you mentioned, you could eliminate many by shaving your hair or cutting it & having a short maintenance free do. Headphones are not needed either. Examine your life & it will be filled with non essential stuff. Clothes are a big one. Imo to live a minimalist life, you wouldn't own more than 6-8 outfits for each season - any cross over pieces. A plain uniform or maybe jumpsuits would be true minimalism. Doesn't being a slave to fashion & modern society mean that you are forced to live some form of a materialistic lifestyle with extra stuff. I'm not attacking you idea, just pointing out a few inconsistencies.

To me real minimalism would be getting dropped of on a life supporting deserted island with only a few tools like a knife. Living in society requires the opposite of minimalism. In some places you can be comfortable year round without clothes, yet society requires them.

SammySammy

I have OCD, so having a minimal amount of stuff goes hand-in-hand with keeping things clean, neat and orderly. It's liberation for me. Keeps me sane and at peace. :)

I'm also fascinated with minimalist design and architecture.

• 5 weeks later...

I read a book called ' the joy of living with less by miss minimalist' it was very inspiring. she used to have a blog too. basically paring down belongings also helps you create the space to like and grow in the space not consumed by 'stuff'