Career - Stuck but looking to change me not job

scooby-philly

Hey Folks

Any feedback or perspective would be great.

I'm in a rut at work and have been for a while now. I work in a semi-creative field, but one where we should be creating processes and standards while we creatively address issues. I love the field but feel uncomfortable at times trying to juggle multiple projects and also having to pull teeth from people to get them to understand things. I left a full-time job 2 years ago without anything lined up and it's been all for the good - two great learning opportunities via contract jobs and now 14 months in at my latest full-time gig. The company is good, and the majority of people are good, but I feel like I can't win most days. Maybe I'm just too hard on myself or expect myself to be perfect. My girlfriend yells when we argue that no one is judging me. Perhaps that's it - I always expect the other shoe to drop or fearing that people will judge me.

Anyway - I don't think I necessarily want to change but need to find a way to help myself grow and learn rather than change jobs. Anyone ever found themselves in a situation where they were able to work on them and things at work "worked" themselves out?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
scooby-philly

Thanks for the response. Disappointed I didn't get more...

The issue is that I have a very singular focus. The company would pay for tuition reimbursement, but only for course work in my particular area. While I believe in myself and I know I would be good at a lot of things - and I have something else in mind.....not sure I could make the internal switch until I went back.

In terms of a different role inside my larger team, the issue is budget and also experience. The only step up is to manage people, and they are slowly grooming me - I'm just concerned I'm not their "type" and would have to really stay here way too long to get a foot into management.

Regarding what I don't like - it's just monotonous at points. I mean I don't mind routine and repetition. However, in the work I do it's basically just come up with an idea, start to design it, then have it trashed because the client says x, y, or z, and/or because they don't give me enough info to start out with - so I feel I disappoint people. I'm probably 10x harder on myself then they are. I mean first year review and I got the 2% raise. Just concerned that if I stay here too long I'll get tired and rusty as we're not exactly setting the bar, actually we haven't even entered the playing field, of being progressive in my specific area.