Is a beer a day okay?

Nikki Sahagin

I'm quite a high-strung individual. I have suffered with depression and anxiety in the past. I'm mellowing as time passes but I still have that 'type A' personality.

I remember a GP telling me, as he was writing me a prescription for an anti-depressant many years ago, which I only took for 2 weeks, that having a beer a day would probably be far more helpful for me.

I started to wonder about his advice. I am not talking about getting drunk (I don't enjoy being drunk) but is one alcoholic drink a day really bad for you? What are the physical repercussions? I find a cool, refreshing beer helps me unwind and feel great. I don't need more than 1.

I'd think having a beer daily would up your waist size but I can't see it doing much more damage? I've heard a few stories of people living to 100 swearing on a whisky or scotch a day; do you think there could be something to it?

IMO, I'd give non mind-altering substance stuff a try first, like exercise, yoga, watching funny videos on youtube, etc.

Myself, I can take it or leave it but, lately, I find beer to be too filling, at least the ones that I prefer, so I'll have a glass of wine or a shot or two of vodka or a bloody mary, but not every day.

As far as healthy, apart from any potential dependence issues, beer isn't any different than other beverages. Some parts good, some neutral, some not so good. You could say the same thing for drinking a soda or a milkshake.

Nothing wrong with seeing what happens. I did that with anti-psychotics back when stressed by caregiving, didn't like them so they sit rotting away in the pharmacy, er cabinet. Some stuff works and some doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Author
Nikki Sahagin

Thanks carhill :)

I do yoga and meditation intermittently. I also find exercise a great stress release too. I guess I'm trying to introduce more 'mind-chills' into my life. The world we live in can be so stressful. Good advice.

My fav podcaster says she has a glass of wine with dinner every day...

I had a beer today and sure as heck deserve it!!!

While I pretty much only have light beer, I only have like 2-3 a week. Mostly cuz no desire to use beer to unwind and it dehydrates me and I don't want the weight gain that comes with drinking (you also eat more to soak up the alcohol you know).

I think I lean on coffee more to keep me even-keel.

loveweary11

I'm type A like crazy. Sometimes we can get a little high strung and stressed out, right?

I'd agree with your doctor.

If you are concerned with the calories, just do a shot of something. :laugh:

• Like 2