Lost in the sea of life

bob the brave

Since I was young, I always had great empathy fort the pain people feel as a result of unfairness of natural inequities or social injustice. As a young boy I witnessed others bullied and taunted for things they could not control such as skin color or some slight deformity. I never understood that at all. What bothered me more than the pain of the recipient or my confusion was the clarity of the attackers. They seemed in complete bliss bring another down, free of personal conflict.

I don't have the money or time to march to Washington, but all my life, I have always stood up to persecution and protect others who are treated unfairly. I have sought to be good, care for others, respect others. I have seen others throw a party and selectively invite coworkers or schoolmates. I never understood that. What criteria are they basing the selection on? I would invite everyone and be happy and enjoy the presence of all who came, even the ***holes.

My problem is, and I won't go through the stories here, I ironically have been one of the biggest victims of such inhumanity, on a regular basis. Stories of human debauchery, selfishness and ignorance that hurt many people. I see this in almost everyone. People just say, "**** happens." Then they do whatever pleases them without regard how it may affect others. This ranges from dumping their car ash trays out onto the street and downloading illegal movies to rape, murder, slavery, war and genocide. We white-wash a lot of this with our high-tech, high standard of living in the US which gives us more autonomy, but it's still there. I have many examples.

I wanted to help other, help make the world a better place. But as a combination of this environment and my weakness in protecting myself, I have been severely physically damaged, not to mention my spirit and will has been tested greatly. I have run the gauntlet of emotions experiencing some I never thought myself possible of feeling. I am still perplexed why people act this way. I believe it is most likely just a combination of instinct and ignorance. Take down others, even if it is only insults and take what they have even it if hurts them so that they will survive. I have hated and considered revenge. But in the end, whatever I do, it should be whatever results in the greatest good for everyone.

But, I don't know what that is anymore. And I really don't think anyone cares about such things. It seems all that matters is power in all its forms no matter how you obtain it.

I once wanted to do 'good' but I think I was chasing an illusion. Should I just forget about such things and just get drunk, screw whoever I want or whatever people do to just have fun and don't worry about other people?

StalwartMind

You shouldn't measure your success or failure in comparison to others. No matter what your endeavor may be, the goal of that should be to ease and satisfy your own mind. I like to believe that I understand your intentions, however you should not be swayed away from what you truly feel and want to bring to the world, just because the majority or any amount for that matter makes it feel like a potential waste.

It's impossible to do things that will benefit the greater good as we all perceive that in widely different ways. In addition to that you should realize too that more often than not there are multiple paths in order to achieve a certain goal, which again we all may not agree upon which path is the best.

Most people are heavily influenced by others in how they choose to act and behave. It makes sense since in order to function in this world we need to adjust ourselves to what is appropriate in any relevant environment we reside in. This means that most people already compromise themselves in ways that they perhaps would not prefer to. Everything in life is an act of finding a balance that can make you feel the most comfortable in any given situation. This is also why humans have so many conflicts as our ideas of what to do, say, act upon, ignore, etc. is so incredibly vast and varied.

When all comes to all, there really is no "right" or "wrong" with anything anyone does, it all comes down to what is socially accepted and how we perceive things. You'll never be able to please all but that shouldn't discourage you from being the person you want to be and committing yourself to bettering the world as how you see it. Take heart in meeting people that share your values and care about the same passions as you, no matter what they may be or how others look at it. As great as it would be for each of us to have everyone do exactly as we think and would like, it will never be like that and nor should it be. Expand your tolerance or eliminate elements in your life that make you even question if things are worth it. This of course maybe easier said than done but you'll find more peace when you learn to accept all of the above and much more. Humans are finicky at best, in a strange way it's kind of amazing things "aren't" worse.

When asked what he thought mankind's greatest challenge, Steven Hawking said "human aggression."

In my opinion, there is a great deal of negativity or evil in the world but there is also even more beauty and positivity. Its good to make an effort to counter-balance negativity when it is presented.

• Like 1