How can I improve the ability to self-discipline? Develop leadership skills?

It seems like I'm going nowhere in life. I work as a case manager and it's a relatively low paying and dull job. I've never been promoted in my life because I don't have leadership skills to speak of. Making a decent living is difficult, if not impossible without landing a leadership position, especially in the field of social work. My job is enough to pay the bills and afford luxuries like going out to eat sometimes. But it wouldn't be enough to start a family or own a home. I make 35k in NYC and live in the outer boroughs. Not that I have anyone to start a family with. I was in a 10 year relationship but he ended it last year because of my lack of ambition. He felt that I was holding him back financially and he was right. I did try going into a grad program but couldn't get in because my overall undergrad GPA was 2.6. I know, ouch. My Psychology major GPA was 3.4 but I had failed several calculus courses in my old major. My concentration and motivation issues have affected me since grade school.

I have a hard time being motivated to be productive at work and in general. There's so much I can accomplish but I think I must be terrible at self-discipline. It seems that when it comes to getting anything done, I can only really focus under pressure. I do my best work when I leave it until the last minute but that's very stressful for me. and has led to late, shoddy work and missing deadlines. If I have a large, unstructured span of time looming ahead, my brain has me convinced that I have all the time in the world. Then I can't concentrate at all. How can I improve my self-discipline and focus? And how do people develop leadership abilities?

Edited by garfish99
  • Like 1
It seems like I'm going nowhere in life. I work as a case manager and it's a relatively low paying and dull job. I've never been promoted in my life because I don't have leadership skills to speak of. Making a decent living is difficult, if not impossible without landing a leadership position, especially in the field of social work. My job is enough to pay the bills and afford luxuries like going out to eat sometimes. But it wouldn't be enough to start a family or own a home. I make 35k in NYC and live in the outer boroughs. Not that I have anyone to start a family with. I was in a 10 year relationship but he ended it last year because of my lack of ambition. He felt that I was holding him back financially and he was right. I did try going into a grad program but couldn't get in because my overall undergrad GPA was 2.6. I know, ouch. My Psychology major GPA was 3.4 but I had failed several calculus courses in my old major. My concentration and motivation issues have affected me since grade school.

I have a hard time being motivated to be productive at work and in general. There's so much I can accomplish but I think I must be terrible at self-discipline. It seems that when it comes to getting anything done, I can only really focus under pressure. I do my best work when I leave it until the last minute but that's very stressful for me. and has led to late, shoddy work and missing deadlines. If I have a large, unstructured span of time looming ahead, my brain has me convinced that I have all the time in the world. Then I can't concentrate at all. How can I improve my self-discipline and focus? And how do people develop leadership abilities?

Hi Garfish,

Firstly, sorry your relationship broke up over that. Or at all. Obviously not your match.

Glad you didn't get into that course (unless you need to).

Buy "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey. Get into and WORK this.

It works absolute miracles.

Lion Heart.

Does your employer offer training to employees? Sign up.

There are opportunities for low & no cost training all over NYC. Check out the offerings at places like the New School, your local community college, your local adult education classes at the local high school etc.

I found this group: Workshops | Citizens Committee For New York City Granted their focus is more community activism but the skills transfer.

If you have the money, try a Dale Carnegie seminar.