How do I get out of it?

A divorced female former co-worker and I have been keeping in touch by email. She has been mentioning for a number of months that she and I should do some traveling next summer. I more or less agreed, saying something like "OK", but not really elaborating. In other words, I don't think I sounded too excited about it. Anyway, for Xmas she sent me two books on Mexico (that is one of the places she wants to travel to with me). She wants to take two trips that are about a week long each. How do I get out of it? When she and I worked together, she was a good co-worker and helped me with projects and was and is a good friend. She knows that I have enough money and time, so I can't tell her that I don't have enough money or time. What should I do to get out of it gracefully? I wouldn't mind having lunch with her every so often, but not two week-long trips. Lastly, she and I are both straight, as this is not a gay situation. Thanks in advance for any help!

WonderWoman911

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like you're a good friend to her and she just chooses you to take the trips with. Since she's divorced, maybe she feels as though you're a great party person to have fun with to take her mind of of her divorce, heartache, etc.You mentioned that the both of you are straight, so you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about her trying to come on to you. If you're not interested in going,I would just tell her that it sounds like a good idea,but you'll pass. But truly thank her for the invitation. If you're concerned about the trip being such a long time span, maybe suggest it can be for only a few days.

• Like 1

Wonder Woman, I believe it is a male writing this thread, that's why he said they are both straight and that him saying no is not because he is gay. I'm not a 100 percent but that's how I took it.

I think Wonder Woman has some good ideas, if you can handle a day or two away instead of a week...suggest that, otherwise..just respectively decline and say I'm sorry but I think I am going to have to pass on the trips, if she insists with having a reason then just say I think we should stick to a lunch from time to time. and give back the books politely. Sometimes it sucks and you lose a friend, or she could take it peacefully and just handle it like an adult and enjoy being simple lunch date friends.

It's a tough place, especially since she's a co worker. the more honest the answer, the better it is. Think of really WHY you don't want to go, sometimes the answers people have to hear suck but lying might only drag it out till someone really gets hurt.