Getting a Second Job

In anticipation of growing expenses in the future years, I am planning to take up a second job. What do you think? I am starting a new job next month which would be my main, Monday to Friday. I see empty slots on Saturday and Sunday, which is obviously unwisely spent. I have no boyfriend, no hobbies (well I used to pay for gym and I love sports but those are pocket-draining activities), and free time on weekends. Do you think I'll survive in this all-work-no-play lifestyle for a year? Part of me feels so excited yet part of me feels..scared? :lmao:

Actually, I probably need advice on juggling two jobs such that this lifestyle feels normal.

Pull your finger out.

Its for a year.

I worked full time and had several part time jobs to get me out of the poo. You talk about free time... I had 6 hours in which to sleep and do all house hold chores etc Monday - Saturday and an extra 4 hours on a Sunday. I did it for a lot longer than a year.

There is no "fear" you just get on with it. Its called "life".

I am more concerned that you don't seem to have hobbies or expenditure on friends/ family to be honest.

• Like 1

Having multiple sources of income is always a good plan. If your time isn't otherwise occupied, it's probably a great plan. I also believe that the taboos against dating in the work place don't apply as strictly to P/T jobs which are more transient anyway.

• Author

I do understand but it's easier to find a second job than to get a social life. Anyway getting a second job is not my motivation to find potential dating mates. Purely monetary. I could possibly meet up with my girl friends for dinner after work? Gym after work? And some bedtime reading after work? Oh my, can't wait. :)

• Author

Is it not cool to work as customer service agent over the counter on weekends, especially you are vulnerable to see someone familiar? There are also housekeepers job which pays really awesome but I doubt they want me for my age.

I have worked up to 3 jobs for close to a year to save money, then I went backpacking across Asia alone, it was amazing. It sucked, but have a goal in your mind, get a social job where you can make friends too, so work won't suck! Good luck!

Another alternative is to find a way in your current job for personal development to increase your long term earnings. Unless your second job is something amazing, I doubt the extra few bucks will make that much different to your life down the line.

For happiness work-life balance is key. Developing hobbies and a social life are as important as work, IMO.

• Like 1

IMO a no-play-all-work lifestyle is not terribly healthy, and there is no real way to make a 80 hour week healthy. Yes for some people it's necessary and there is no way around it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's unhealthy, and if possible I feel you should try to avoid it. Especially if you are only just starting your FIRST job next Monday, I feel you should see whether or not you can perform optimally in that one first before considering a second. And then consider if it would not be more worth it putting in a bit of extra time in your main job to angle for a promotion instead.

If you have no family/children to take care of, could you not scale down your expenses? The only people I know who can't make ends meet with one job are the sole breadwinners of a family with dependents.

bob the brave

There was a single mother in the place I used to work. She worked there 9-5 five days a week and as care taker for elderly people on the weekend. She told me once she hadn't had a day off in over a year and she did this for several years.

Maybe it works for some and not for others, but she seemed to get along fine. She would still socialize after work when she could.