Budgeting in COllege

Recently, I have not had much time to go food shopping since I have been busy with many issues such as classes and finding a subleaser. I have been spending about 15 dollars per day on food. I feel like I have been wasteful. Is living on 15 dollars a day wasteful? I just don't know how to conserve money and not eat crap like Ramen.

Best thing to do is to get a job, from the money you make from that, budget and pay yourself. Do that and eating junk shouldn't be an issue

• Like 1

$15 a day is a lot for a college student on a budget. You really should not be spending more than $50 a week on food for yourself. My husband and I have made it off $200 a month for food. Buy inexpensive staples such as rice, beans, chicken, cereal etc. Also think discount grocers...Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Grocery Outlet etc. At $15 a day, that adds up to $420 a month on your food budget, which is way too high for a college student.

Edited by pink_sugar

Do you cook? Make things in bulk & eat them through out the week. If you rely on fast food & prepackaged stuff your costs will be higher because you are paying for the convenience.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

I worked a lot of different jobs in college, everything from a landscape crew to a temp at the post office, but most frequently I'd work in the food industry (dishwasher, delivery, fry cook, and waiter). One advantage is that I always knew where my next meal was coming from.

My last semester was working in a Chinese restaurant as the lone white guy. It was a buffet that close at 10:00 p.m., and they were GREAT about loading me down with the leftovers to take home. My wife and I practically lived on Moo Goo Gai Pan and Kung Pao chicken.

Fifteen bucks a day, or $450 a month, seems like a high food budget for one person in college.

• Like 3

It's really a balance between time and money (and how much your time is worth). When I was doing my fast-track degree, yes, I sometimes did spend $15/day on food, especially during exam times when there was no time to cook. But it was worth it because my grades enabled me to get a full scholarship for grad school. That was worth much, much, much more than saving $10 a day.

If you really need to save the money and don't have any time to cook, then cook big portions, freeze up some and reheat them on a daily basis. Of course, that depends on how averse/non-averse you are to eating the same thing 5 days in a row.

• Like 1
It's really a balance between time and money (and how much your time is worth). When I was doing my fast-track degree, yes, I sometimes did spend $15/day on food, especially during exam times when there was no time to cook. But it was worth it because my grades enabled me to get a full scholarship for grad school. That was worth much, much, much more than saving $10 a day.

If you really need to save the money and don't have any time to cook, then cook big portions, freeze up some and reheat them on a daily basis. Of course, that depends on how averse/non-averse you are to eating the same thing 5 days in a row.

I hear you on this. I am one of those gals that prefers to cook a quick meal each day, versus eating the same thing all week. I know people who do that, but I am a total foodie and I need something different each day. :D

For broke college students, I always recommend the food pantry if your budget really only allows ramen. At least there you can get some basics. It really pays to learn to cook. When crammed for time you can always throw some fish and garlic on the pan...makes a tasty meal. Or whip up some tacos or burgers.

• Like 1