I want to be a writer and document the human experience

This weekend has given me revelations that have impacted the foundation of my being, causing me to question my beliefs of my life. The oddity of the world that we live in brings fantastic joy to me, it is breathtaking in itself as we strive for meaning in a world that seems devoid of it. And yet, the act of living in our confusing existence is spectacular. Going to a nudist party last Friday, experiencing the animalistic sexual drive, orgasm after orgasm, and then, riding back home watching the freeway as the cool, refreshing breeze glazed against my naked body, realizing that this moment will never come again, and only I will ever truly understand what occurred here, and even then, I feel it was more of a spiritual experience. I want to document life as I feel it is in my eyes, I was writing a passage based on this experience, and as tears poured from my eyes, I knew I was changed forever. It is as if God whispered in my ear my true purpose in the strangest moment.

The problem I have is that my parents wish for me to be a scientist, and I love science and I am very talented in it, but I need this emotional drive in my life. And while this experience I had last Friday will most likely never occur again, my life feels transformed. In the first time in months, I feel alive instead of existing, crying and letting out past fears and regrets instead of suffocating by them. How can I convince my parents that I need this instead of the path that they wish for me?

Edited by Bishop556
  • Like 2

The problem I have is that my parents wish for me to be a scientist, and I love science and I am very talented in it, but I need this emotional drive in my life. And while this experience I had last Friday will most likely never occur again, my life feels transformed. In the first time in months, I feel alive instead of existing, crying and letting out past fears and regrets instead of suffocating by them. How can I convince my parents that I need this instead of the path that they wish for me?

You have to balance what you feel to be your purpose with REALITY.

You need a career which will allow you to make enough money for a home, security, and to be able to do the things you want to do.

Writing is a cruel career, and you won't likely get anywhere with it. No offense, but it just doesn't happen for most people.

The best option would be to boil down the essence of what is making you feel alive to a way to make MONEY and a career for yourself. So if you are interested in human sexuality and are good with science, maybe getting co-degrees in science and psychology could get you a career in psych research. Or if you are interested in "the human experience", some other type of research degree.

Why don't you spend some time on Google, job hunt sites, etc., and write down the job title of any job that sounds intriguing to you. You'll start seeing a pattern... then you can work backward and figure out what degrees or education is needed to land those jobs.

It is a great thing that you are beginning to find your passion, but you can't lose your grip on reality. You have to stay balanced.

And it may just end up that your sexual escapades become an important HOBBY for you, and your career is the vehicle which allows you to afford your hobby... in which case it benefits you to get the most lucrative career possible, because a rich playboy has many more and better options than a homeless one. :)

• Like 5

Why can't you pursue both? Or choose a scientific field such as behavioral psychology that blends both? Being a successful writer can be very difficult, so it may make sense to work towards that goal and keep science - at least for now - as a day job. Having credentials can always add weight to your opinions, even if you' want to write fiction.

Being a scientist does not preclude excitement outside the walls of the lab or academia. I can speak to that from experience!

• Like 3
  • Author

I see your points. I just have always been a creative individual and have always needed some sense of deeper meaning to feel alive in life. I loved writing when I was a kid, I wrote notebooks full of poetry and stories, and then I stopped. I felt school killed the passion I had for story telling. I felt this come back again once I started to write again for myself, and only myself. It started to come back when I began studying philosophy, but it exploded when I tried to write for my enjoyment, and only my enjoyment. I felt alive again which I have not felt in a while. Recently, I have felt as if I was living a dream of a life people want for me, not the life I want for myself.

• Like 3
  • Author
Sounds like the OP finally lost his virginity. Congrats!

I had a long time ago. I just felt truly transformed by this particular experience.

This weekend has given me revelations that have impacted the foundation of my being, causing me to question my beliefs of my life. The oddity of the world that we live in brings fantastic joy to me, it is breathtaking in itself as we strive for meaning in a world that seems devoid of it. And yet, the act of living in our confusing existence is spectacular. Going to a nudist party last Friday, experiencing the animalistic sexual drive, orgasm after orgasm, and then, riding back home watching the freeway as the cool, refreshing breeze glazed against my naked body, realizing that this moment will never come again, and only I will ever truly understand what occurred here, and even then, I feel it was more of a spiritual experience. I want to document life as I feel it is in my eyes, I was writing a passage based on this experience, and as tears poured from my eyes, I knew I was changed forever. It is as if God whispered in my ear my true purpose in the strangest moment.

I would go for the waves of orgasms. The only one you need to answer to is your own self. Let your parents make their path.

• Like 2
it exploded when I tried to write for my enjoyment, and only my enjoyment. I felt alive again which I have not felt in a while.

No matter what you choose as a career path, you don't have to stop writing for enjoyment.

Recently, I have felt as if I was living a dream of a life people want for me, not the life I want for myself.

You have to realize that your parents want what is best for you. It isn't as if they want you to be a doctor because your dad is a doctor, or because they want to be able to boast about you to their friends. They see your talents, and they want you to go into a career that makes the most of those talents. They have known you for your entire life, after all. :D

That said, you have to listen to their opinions, then make your own choices.

And it is fine to want a certain life for yourself, but as I said before, it has to be realistic. Having a life where you go out and have amazing sexual experiences and come back and write about them for personal enjoyment doesn't pay the bills. Well, unless you decide to FILM the experiences... but you also have to be able to look your parents in the eye and say "This is who I am." and be ok with that.

So I still stick to what I said in my first post. Try to find a career that lights you up and makes you feel alive. Or if that just isn't possible, find a career you will be ok with, and get your joy after hours.

• Like 3
  • Author
No matter what you choose as a career path, you don't have to stop writing for enjoyment.

You have to realize that your parents want what is best for you. It isn't as if they want you to be a doctor because your dad is a doctor, or because they want to be able to boast about you to their friends. They see your talents, and they want you to go into a career that makes the most of those talents. They have known you for your entire life, after all. :D

That said, you have to listen to their opinions, then make your own choices.

And it is fine to want a certain life for yourself, but as I said before, it has to be realistic. Having a life where you go out and have amazing sexual experiences and come back and write about them for personal enjoyment doesn't pay the bills. Well, unless you decide to FILM the experiences... but you also have to be able to look your parents in the eye and say "This is who I am." and be ok with that.

So I still stick to what I said in my first post. Try to find a career that lights you up and makes you feel alive. Or if that just isn't possible, find a career you will be ok with, and get your joy after hours.

Of course having sexual experiences and writing about them does not pay the bills. I wish it did. *does perverted laughter*

I just want to describe what life is, how humanity is able to interact with a world that seems utterly devoid of meaning, and yet find beauty and horror through it. I just felt in this moment that I was not pursuing what I was meant to pursue.

• Like 1
Of course having sexual experiences and writing about them does not pay the bills. I wish it did. *does perverted laughter*

I just want to describe what life is, how humanity is able to interact with a world that seems utterly devoid of meaning, and yet find beauty and horror through it. I just felt in this moment that I was not pursuing what I was meant to pursue.

There truly is a lack of meaning within much of this world. This is even more of a reason to find your own. You have to make yourself happy. No matter what anyone else may suggest.

My parents passed away at an early age. I went to live with an ignorant aunt and abusive uncle. Everyone and his/her spouse was in the family business. This is what was forced upon me. Sure, it would have been taking the easy way out and I would have had more money than one would ever need.

I chose to take the road less traveled. Struggling with money for many years now. Having had lived in multiple states. Shunned from all of my family. Living in a new house and looking for a teaching position once again. Not one single asset to my name.

Yet, I could really not be any happier at all. Because, I have finally found a wonderful woman. The one I have been waiting for all my life. Not that the other issues will go away. They just happen to be secondary. Happiness has to be primary.

Sometimes, the safe way is not always the best route for us. You cannot live your life for anyone except your own self. Life is definitely not a dress rehearsal. Live without any regrets and go out there and make the most of it. On your own terms.

• Author

I think I understand what I am going to do. I do have a passion for physics as it is beyond beautiful to udnerstand how the universe works. However, the root of all my concerns is based on the philosophical nature of the world. I don't think it is writing that is truly the passion I am seeking, as I have multiple passions in my life, I feel it is the pursuit of understanding the world in a deeper way as I felt, through emotional resonance. I think this solidified my decision to double major in philosophy and, possibly physics, as I have the unyielding urge to understand this world, or reality, in a more beautiful way. I'm still considering changing my possible career path, but I feel I need to do at least this.

I am going to think long and hard about this as I need to live a life worth living for myself and no one else in whatever that results in.

• Like 3

Write a book. The Story of O was just a series of love letters, until the lover told the writer that she should turn it into a book. It was a huge success.

Not sure what area of science you are looking to get into, but there are professionals who write based on their expertise and experience in the field. For example, doctors sometimes do medical writing.

It's normal to question what you are doing. It doesn't matter what your parents want you to do. What matters is what YOU want to do. I wish that I had figured that out for myself earlier in life.

So write!

Writing is not about you go and study literature

writing is about your talent in engaging reader using the right words and hooks ..

First of all, science can be a HUGELY emotional field. People are often drawn to physics and other science disciplines because of the magic that they feel from looking through a telescope, reading a book, or just contemplating infiniti. And there have been plenty of famous scientists who were inspired by this magic. I do not see a conflict between your desire to be a scientist and the emotional awareness that you've been experiencing lately.

Secondly, there is nothing impractical about writing. I succeeded in becoming a professional writer by finding a real, practical need for writing and pursuing that. There's technical writing, grant writing, reporting, ghost writing, etc etc. Be aware that no one is going to pay you to read about your emotional breakthroughs (you can do this for fun on the side), but they will pay you to write in specific applications.