Running away? Your story? Lets hear it!

Ok story time, not just from me, but from everyone. Let’s hear it!

This has to do with running away, and no I don’t mean packing a lunch bag into your school backpack and running down the street until your parents find you or you run home scared…

I’m sure we’ve all felt shrouded from joys in life one way or another, but who here has been so close to leaving EVERYTHING and just jumping on the closest bus, train, car, whatever and off who cares where.

I’m talking about completely running away in your adult years.

Throughout my life I have had several situations regarding this, and today my dream still is to one day run away, this time to a hot tropical spot with a beautiful girl and when all my daemons have been burnt to ash and road blocks crushed to dust.

So here’s your time to share, put it all out on the table, vent a bit, tell us about your almost running away time. Or when you actually did.

I’ll start off with opening up to a bunch of random online strangers/friends.

----OK I was writing and writing and writing… Two pages later I decided “Who has time/wants to read this---- It was a good venting tool, but instead of telling my story of how I got to the point of running away, I’ll tell you what I did after.

So after being away from home for half a year, going through military training, meeting a girl I thought was the love of my life, finding out she was unfaithful and seeing two other people two months into the relationship, completely deleting her from my life, finished training and ran back home half way across country, her contacting me again blaming it on all on me, and me doing a bunch of stupid things hurt from it all. I finally ended it with the thought of running away. I planned to work my way across Canada by bus, train, and hitchhiking until hitting the coast where I’d work on a fishing boat, cruise boat, tanker, whatever floated, until I hit somewhere Europe where no one spoke English. I didn’t care if I was out of money with no way of getting home. I wanted to get SOO lost nothing would be able to find me.

But I stopped it all when I realized how dumb it all was… Instead I told myself two things “Lust is not love!” and “Telling someone you love them more than you really do is the cruelest thing you can ever do.” Oh and signed up for an even harder military course. FUN!

Now I am back home living happy, still dealing with the daemons of my past, but at least this time with a girl I love.

And so that you all know, I did in fact run away, and still continue to do so! Across Europe, Dominican republic, AND all across Canada…

So what’s your story? Have you been close? Have you done it? I think it’s a valuable self-learning experience and in some cases running away can be beneficial.

Note: your reasons don’t have to be relationship wise. Hence the section I put it in!

Thanks guys and gals,

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i have thought about running away yes..to go chase llamas in tibet would be fun and therapeutic not really realistic though..i never do run away....... it gets hard to cope sometimes.....so i run away in my head.......and go on auto pilot...i know this happens because i can be gone for quite a while.....i found a pink slip in my wallet the other day .....a police report for some guy about missing or stolen items from his house.....dont know when or who put that in my wallet but it was me, functioning while running away to heal, someone probably entrusted me to mind it.....its hard when i meet people in this state.....because it takes a while for me to remember who met who when and what was said.....i am however tired of running away i want to experience all my life remember all every little detail.......but i disassociate if there is really bad inner turmoil.....i have at times nto run away and tried to deal with everything ....i normally end up hospitalised on the wrong medication route.......i accept who i am now so if i disassociate it is because i need to......no more running...no more hospital ill just deal with pink slips that dont make sense and leave them in my prayers..and my family do accept i disassociate...i am still me....and i am still here...deb

• Like 1

I was coming off a horrible break up & had just lost my job. I started looking into international graduate school programs & sent away for literature about how to join the Peace Corps. I never got farther than looking. I was in my 30s at the time & owned my own home . Part of the reason I didn't do it was I couldn't figure out what to do with the house. Market conditions indicated that selling it would have been a bad financial move.

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh running away off to never ever land is a common occurrence in my head. I believe it's healthy to dream regardless of how unbelievable they may seem. Digging for who we are in life is SO hard to do when you have no clue what path you're going down.

I also looked into a peace corps, I couldn't find any that didn't involve investing a large sum of money just to do it.

This thread is very fitting at this moment in my life.

At present I am staying at my Aunt's and I have been battling many demons, which has affected me staying with her anymore.

I am very unhappy at the moment and feel it is time for me to leave London. Sadly havent got enough to leave the country, so will have to stay in England and in the next week I will take my 1 bag of clothes + stuff + leave.

Its very scary as it is a big step + Im not sure if I am doing the right thing and dont have much of a plan.

In the depths of my being I truly feel I need to get away and try and rebuild my life and conquer those demons.

• Like 1

The thing that's kept me from actually acting on thoughts of running away in the past, had been the stress I would've put on my family and friends.

There's also the uncertainty and big unknown that could come out of running away. What if it doesn't turn out the way I wanted, into even worse conditions? There are risks involved.

• Like 1
The Like Fairy

Running away doesn't generally solve any problems, but sometimes it's a satisfying fantasy to entertain now and then.

Edited by The Like Fairy
TylerDurdenn

Whilst sitting in my office for 8 hours a day staring at a computer screen I often tell myself 'What the hell are you doing? There is a whole world out there for you to explore!', so then I plan my trip - hitch hiking from the east coast of us to the west, then flying over to Fiji and owning a towel rental store on the beach.

But no I have never ran away, it's definitely something I wish I had the balls to do though!

• Like 1
Whilst sitting in my office for 8 hours a day staring at a computer screen I often tell myself 'What the hell are you doing? There is a whole world out there for you to explore!', so then I plan my trip - hitch hiking from the east coast of us to the west, then flying over to Fiji and owning a towel rental store on the beach.

But no I have never ran away, it's definitely something I wish I had the balls to do though!

I'd love to pull a Walter Mitty.

I've often run away too. Unfortunately, in my current relationship, there's a child involved - yes, my child, and he's the only aspect to my relationship that's keeping me "stuck". Even then, I have days where I just want to get away from it all - it's just too much to have to deal with. Sure, I'll fulfill my financial responsibilities to my baby, but otherwise, I just want to get out. I fear however that I'll miss my son to the extreme. He's too young to know any better, but obviously there will come a day when he's not. Can I live with myself if I "skip base". That's a question I do not know the answer to...

I've been thinking of running away for awhile now. Unfortunately, I have so many responsibilities that it's just unreasonable. And it would take me awhile, and some money to get anywhere, because I live in the middle of nowhere.

Right now, I'm fantasizing about joining WWOOF, and going to farm pineapples in Hawaii for a few weeks, or a vineyard in California. T'would be nice.

Ah. To be young with wanderlust.

• Like 1