Need career/educational guidance

I'm feeling lost. I need direction with where to go with my life and I feel my current education isn't fulfilling, not what I want to do for the next 5-10 years, and I am feeling my biological clock ticking closer to death.

I haven't accomplished much, and I feel like burning out from school right now. I think I would be better recharging, and taking a stab at something else in rather than my current major.

I'm done with relationships for now. I need to establish myself and do something I enjoy.

Any advice out there? I'm feeling really lost.

• Like 1

If you are close to finishing - stay focused and finish.

If you are far from finishing - do some thinking and figure out what you want.

Don't focus on what you don't want. Focus rather on what you do want.

• Like 1

It would be easier to offer suggestions if you told us what your current major is, what you want to do for the next 5-10 years, what you want out of life, etc.

• Like 1
  • Author
It would be easier to offer suggestions if you told us what your current major is, what you want to do for the next 5-10 years, what you want out of life, etc.

Current major is in accounting and finance. I don't have any idea what I want to do in the next 5-10 years, which I think is the issue.

If you are close to finishing - stay focused and finish.

If you are far from finishing - do some thinking and figure out what you want.

Don't focus on what you don't want. Focus rather on what you do want.

I am close to finishing, but several changes have put me back with getting the professional designation I'm going for. I have serious doubts that I will enjoy the work having done some articling experience at firms.

I know I want a lifestyle that I can't have. I had lost myself in a relationship in the past where I had put her needs above my own, being the clueless idiot I was. I feel the urgency to recover and recover fast.

VeronicaRoss

I work for a Fortune 50 company, have changed whole careers three times, and I am very confident saying this:

Finish the degrees, with joy. Why? You made a brilliant choice! It will enable you in business, any kind of business. No matter what you do as a career, it's all about business in the end. You could run a non-profit, go into art or marketing or technology, or landscape architecture -- whatever! Anything plus your degree makes you that much more valuable. You are not locked in to working in finance. Even if it is what you do at first. Technical companies are very amenable to allowing you to switch departments too, you might start there in finance and explore. Choose a company that will let you do that, or is so small you have to do more than one job.

Sounds like you are depressed over the relationship, that too is normal. Don't let yourself down, this degree is not fate. It simply says you're willing to do rote and often stupid things to achieve a goal. Very important to demonstrate in life, seriously! :)

• Like 3
I work for a Fortune 50 company, have changed whole careers three times, and I am very confident saying this:

Finish the degrees, with joy. Why? You made a brilliant choice! It will enable you in business, any kind of business. No matter what you do as a career, it's all about business in the end. You could run a non-profit, go into art or marketing or technology, or landscape architecture -- whatever! Anything plus your degree makes you that much more valuable. You are not locked in to working in finance. Even if it is what you do at first. Technical companies are very amenable to allowing you to switch departments too, you might start there in finance and explore. Choose a company that will let you do that, or is so small you have to do more than one job.

Sounds like you are depressed over the relationship, that too is normal. Don't let yourself down, this degree is not fate. It simply says you're willing to do rote and often stupid things to achieve a goal. Very important to demonstrate in life, seriously! :)

I agree, a business degree is very versatile. Accounting is especially in demand. Stick with it. May I also ask how old you are?

• Like 1

Business degrees are good but some of them are accesories, and not actually 'main' degrees.

Yours is actually good OP, accounting [with some finance] will get your foot in the door.

Otoh, i can't tell you how many ppl are finishing or have finished a degree in 'economics' or 'management' [bachelor, not MBA], and are waiting to be hired as 'managers'.

I kid you not, i heard this argument from them several times ... :p

Also, from someone who ****ed up when he was 23 and abandoned school with 5-6 classes left, only to return when he was 30 to finish.

Finish that degree, no matter what.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm feeling down also because of the competition and rejection from firms. I need articling experience to get my license to practice as a CPA.

I wanted to work at a large firm, having worked at two small firms previously. Finding a job has been very difficult, and with the changing landscape of the accounting and finance industry (i.e. limited job growth, computer skills are either very valuable to have or an asset) I worry where I am headed.

This is a bachelor's degree. I noticed that masters degrees are becoming more of the norm for entry level jobs, but sometimes a master's is too overqualified for some jobs. Some jobs even require designations or a masters, which is a catch-22 because I would need a job in order to do the articling.

I have considered an MBA or Master's in Finance. Problem is, my academics aren't up and I've struggled with depression for the past few years. Everything just blew up with the relationship disintegrating when I needed her most.

Edited by jonsnuh
  • Author
I agree, a business degree is very versatile. Accounting is especially in demand. Stick with it. May I also ask how old you are?

I'm currently 25. Many of my classmates have already moved on with finishing their masters, post-grad/post-doc degrees, worked for 3 years, and have been promoted in their firms.

I know I shouldn't be comparing to my ex, but she was my role model and also very much had momentum and her success. It's not healthy to think this way, but I should have been more selfish and not given her the opportunity when she needed it when I could have used that opportunity for myself.

Also another note, I want to work in an industry that I can see myself for the next 5-10 years. I did also do a degree in Economics. The profs harped about how the industries have shifted to technology and healthcare, and I can't see healthcare go away anytime soon as the world's population ages.

Edited by jonsnuh

Finish your degree in accounting, get a job in that field, and see how it suits you at that point. It would be unfortunate to switch gears without getting the degree after you've spent so much time working towards that and are almost at the point of getting it. Then do some investigation into what you are passionate about. You can always work on a higher degree in another field, or exercise your passions with your hobbies rather than your main career.

• Like 1
Business degrees are good but some of them are accesories, and not actually 'main' degrees.

Yours is actually good OP, accounting [with some finance] will get your foot in the door.

Otoh, i can't tell you how many ppl are finishing or have finished a degree in 'economics' or 'management' [bachelor, not MBA], and are waiting to be hired as 'managers'.

I kid you not, i heard this argument from them several times ... :p

Also, from someone who ****ed up when he was 23 and abandoned school with 5-6 classes left, only to return when he was 30 to finish.

Finish that degree, no matter what.

Are you telling me my Econ degree isn't going to land me a high paying job right away??? But my supply/demand graph says otherwise! Wait, maybe I'm looking at it upside down...

• Like 3
I'm currently 25. Many of my classmates have already moved on with finishing their masters, post-grad/post-doc degrees, worked for 3 years, and have been promoted in their firms.

I know I shouldn't be comparing to my ex, but she was my role model and also very much had momentum and her success. It's not healthy to think this way, but I should have been more selfish and not given her the opportunity when she needed it when I could have used that opportunity for myself.

Also another note, I want to work in an industry that I can see myself for the next 5-10 years. I did also do a degree in Economics. The profs harped about how the industries have shifted to technology and healthcare, and I can't see healthcare go away anytime soon as the world's population ages.

I'm the same age and only a few of my friends have bachelor degrees, let alone masters. The ones with bachelors are unable to find work as their degrees aren't useful. I'm also thinking about grad school myself. Don't feel bad, everyone's goals are different.

Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm feeling down also because of the competition and rejection from firms. I need articling experience to get my license to practice as a CPA.

I wanted to work at a large firm, having worked at two small firms previously. Finding a job has been very difficult, and with the changing landscape of the accounting and finance industry (i.e. limited job growth, computer skills are either very valuable to have or an asset) I worry where I am headed.

This is a bachelor's degree. I noticed that masters degrees are becoming more of the norm for entry level jobs, but sometimes a master's is too overqualified for some jobs. Some jobs even require designations or a masters, which is a catch-22 because I would need a job in order to do the articling.

I have considered an MBA or Master's in Finance. Problem is, my academics aren't up and I've struggled with depression for the past few years. Everything just blew up with the relationship disintegrating when I needed her most.

If you don't have the bolded, get it.

It's cheaper than an MBA/master.

Are you telling me my Econ degree isn't going to land me a high paying job right away??? But my supply/demand graph says otherwise! Wait, maybe I'm looking at it upside down...

Maybe the function is to the power -1 ...

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So the last time I was on this thread, I was finishing up courses for a accounting diploma.

I've talked to several career guidance counsellors and they've all reached the same conclusion that I have to decide what I want to do.

I do want to become a professional, but not as an accountant. I know it sounds silly that I've devoted so much of my time and resources into it, but my performance in school has only affirmed my belief that I most likely won't succeed very far in this field.

Not only am I trying to figure out what to do, I am feeling extremely tired and miserable and old. Because of school and co-op work, I missed my cousin's wedding, turned down travel plans to go to the Bahamas, and haven't had a major trip outside of North America since 2007.

I also only recently moved in with my parents back in the major city from my university which is located in a miserable old town and some of the most 'ghetto' student housing ever.

Plans I have but haven't considered in an outline are:

- Law school

- A second undergrad degree to pursue medical school or another professional degree

- a graduate degree

The thing is, my marks aren't competitive enough that were severely affected by depression and severe anxiety caused by my breakup and stress for rushing my degree to meet deadlines. If I were to apply to graduate schools, it is unlikely that I any get into the top universities and could be overqualified for certain jobs (i.e. MBA).

Sigh. I feel like I should just apply for jobs at this point, study for entrance exams like the LSAT, GMAT and/or GRE before jumping or anything else fore that matter. If there's time, I might fit in a trip and borrow from my parents to travel in order to recharge my motivation and happiness meter.

Eunice Carter

You may have fallen into the trap of thinking the sole point of work is to bring home enough money to live comfortably. While adequate compensation is important in any job, it’s not the whole story. If you are unsatisfied with what you do every day, it takes a toll on your physical and mental health. You may feel burned out and frustrated, anxious, depressed, or unable to enjoy time at home knowing another workday is ahead. What’s more, if you don’t find your work meaningful and rewarding, it’s hard to keep the momentum going to advance in your career. You are more likely to be successful in a career that you feel passionate about.

Whether you’re looking to enter the work force for the first time or contemplating a career change, the first step to choosing a fulfilling career is to uncover the activities that get you excited and bring you joy.

lucy_in_disguise

Honestly if you can't decide between law school, med school, or grad school, I would postpone any additional schooling for the time being and focus on finishing the degree you almost have, then joining the workforce to figure out where you might fit in.

As someone else pointed out, finance/ accounting can be very versatile. People often end up in careers unrelated to their majors, but a strong numbers background is valuable.

Have you considered actuarial science? If you enjoy the thought of studying for the next ten years while you work, and are good at math, it may be a good alternative to being an accountant.

All the lawyers I know are miserable. It's not the highly paid profession it once was (at least not for most grads) and law school ain't cheap...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Honestly if you can't decide between law school, med school, or grad school, I would postpone any additional schooling for the time being and focus on finishing the degree you almost have, then joining the workforce to figure out where you might fit in.

As someone else pointed out, finance/ accounting can be very versatile. People often end up in careers unrelated to their majors, but a strong numbers background is valuable.

Have you considered actuarial science? If you enjoy the thought of studying for the next ten years while you work, and are good at math, it may be a good alternative to being an accountant.

All the lawyers I know are miserable. It's not the highly paid profession it once was (at least not for most grads) and law school ain't cheap...

I did consider becoming an actuary. It's ironic, I came from a renowned school that produced actuary degrees, and any actuary courses were quite difficult for most people.

I had initially taken accounting, and there were three streams: finance, actuarial science, and information systems management. Most, if not all of the individuals who went down the actuarial path switched into finance, or did not do well enough to get into a Master's of Accounting program to skip the first two professional exams.

I may have to consider it as a viable career path despite not having the degree. I also know a family friend who works at an insurance company as a director and is an actuary by trade. However, time is ticking and there are just so many exams to do :lmao:.

Thanks lucy :)