Considered, attempted or completed a PhD programme?

Anyone?

Are you glad you did it? Regret doing it? Was it worth it?

I have been considering continuing into a doctoral programme but am really hesitant. I don't want to be confined to academics, and am a bit unsure if I would even see it through. I got pretty restless during my masters..

At the same time I am still really passionate about my masters subject, and still actively involved in research.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I completed it and I am on the fence if I regret it.

It's a VERY hard, long road. I wasn't prepared for how difficult it would be on all levels. I also don't see much use of PhD beyond academia. Long days, evenings and weekends spent working for years on end. I also wanted to quit many times. There is only around 50% completion rate and I can see why.

If you are not passionate about academic career it's hard to see the point.

I didn't have a plan. I got offered a scholarship and went with it.

So I would recommend thinking ahead and having a clear purpose and career path.

Ask me in about 5-10 years if I regret it or not :)

• Like 3

I've been considering it.....I've been fortunate since I was in the military to have the govt. fund my education, but now that the pot is dry I'd have to fund it myself. However, I LOVE the idea of being called Dr.

Self serving reason, I know :D

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine
I've been considering it.....I've been fortunate since I was in the military to have the govt. fund my education, but now that the pot is dry I'd have to fund it myself. However, I LOVE the idea of being called Dr.

Self serving reason, I know :D

That was my main motivation too :o

As for funding, there are ton of scholarship supported places. It's not much money...about 20K per year (if you are lucky) but it's just enough to live on.

• Like 3
regine_phalange

Studies tend to make me restless too, but there I am, like a mazochist. I was also thinking about a PhD, since I love my field and I would love to give things to humanity (I don't have a big idea of myself, it's just my personal ambition/wish :o). But the thing is sometimes this whole research thing is limited only to running behind funds and then producing an artifact that probably no-one will use because it's complex or unrealistic (at least in my field). I don't think I like research as a job, even though it has a certain "something" as a word. I prefer to apply what I have learnt all these years, on commercial products. It makes me happier and I like this type of creativity better.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks everyone. I have had a lot of encouragement to do it from the professor that supervised my masters, but the idea of actually having to do it makes me cringe. I would have two thirds of it funded, so it is not so much the cost, more that I could completely see myself giving up part way through- don't want to take funds away from someone that is really passionate about doing it, and I'd feel like s*** if I gave up.

Maybe my enthusiasm will return in a few years and I'll consider it again. Thanks again, the replies were really helpful.

• Like 1
crosswordfiend

I've got one. I went into the PhD programme directly from my Bachelor's degree and it was a very rocky road. The first year was fun, but things started going down hill after that. Depending on your field of study, you will find that you will need to isolate yourself to get any real work done. I was fortunate enough to have a supervisor who insisted on weekly meetings so I managed to get out in just over 4 years, but I can't say I got out unscathed. I can't say if the PhD triggered my quarter life crisis, or if it would have happened anyways, but it was a pretty depressing couple of years.

Looking back however, having the credential has been a boon. I'm a freelance consultant now and when I tell people where I got my PhD they are impressed. I get to charge a higher hourly rate as a result, and I'm still doing some research as well.

• Like 2

OP, I think it may be good for you to try working in the industry for a bit before doing your PhD. That may help you decide what path you want for yourself.

I plan on doing that after I finish my Masters this midyear. I'd initially intended to go straight for a PhD assuming I can get a scholarship (it's really competitive, but my GPA is reasonably high, so I'm crossing my fingers here). But after some thought, I think full-time work in the industry would help me decide better on whether or not the additional 3 years writing obscure papers would be worth it. :laugh:

Good luck, whatever you decide!

• Like 1
That was my main motivation too :o

As for funding, there are ton of scholarship supported places. It's not much money...about 20K per year (if you are lucky) but it's just enough to live on.

ES, any idea what the cutoff GPA was for scholarships in Aussie universities?

Eternal Sunshine
ES, any idea what the cutoff GPA was for scholarships in Aussie universities?

Yes - it's around 85% (not GPA but overall % mark, that's how it's counted around here). But even then you are about half/half on getting a place. You really need 90%+ to be sure. Other things are considered as well, but only if you have 85%+. Like any research work experience and in particular first author publications. It's pretty awful.

I am right now considering leaving academia and opening my own consulting business. PhD definitely helps charge a higher hourly rate - and there seems to be unlimited consulting work around.

Eternal Sunshine

This may sounds weird but I do get a lot of sense of accomplishment from it. It's something that was tough, that not many people have and something that nobody can ever take away from me.

I also come from a family where my grandfather attempted a PhD and failed to complete, my dad attempted a PhD and also failed to complete so in a sense I have done it for all of them :)

I realize that it's an emotional thing but still, it really makes me feel capable and confident.

• Like 3
Yes - it's around 85% (not GPA but overall % mark, that's how it's counted around here). But even then you are about half/half on getting a place. You really need 90%+ to be sure. Other things are considered as well, but only if you have 85%+. Like any research work experience and in particular first author publications. It's pretty awful.

Oh, that would be 7.0 here, I think, which I can hopefully make. Half and half chances aren't great though. :(

I am right now considering leaving academia and opening my own consulting business. PhD definitely helps charge a higher hourly rate - and there seems to be unlimited consulting work around.

It's interesting that having a PhD helps you in consulting in the industry. I was thinking that industry experience would be prized more greatly in consulting?
Eternal Sunshine
Oh, that would be 7.0 here, I think, which I can hopefully make. Half and half chances aren't great though. :(

It's interesting that having a PhD helps you in consulting in the industry. I was thinking that industry experience would be prized more greatly in consulting?

It's both but somehow potential clients feel more confident seeing that qualification next to your name. They are even prepared to pay more.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
Anyone?

I have been considering continuing into a doctoral programme but am really hesitant. I don't want to be confined to academics, and am a bit unsure if I would even see it through. I got pretty restless during my masters..

At the same time I am still really passionate about my masters subject, and still actively involved in research.

Yes. It is very difficult, yet highly rewarding. You sacrifice a lot, so to enjoy it (if you don't enjoy it, you will not be happy) you have to have a passion for your work. IMHO you also have to be sort of insane and a bit nerdy. Basically, you should be the type that gets fascinated and geeked out by things the rest of the world probably never thinks about.

Then to top it off, you will have to go from working on a research project to having to teach freshman (total shift in thinking) that ask "Did I miss anything important during your 2 hour lecture" :mad::mad::mad: ajakjdlsjdklfjs how could you ask that about this super important topic of my research...then in dawns on you no one else cares. So you have to have passion for it within yourself. But not too much passion you can't overcome the politics...

As Kissinger said, "academic politics are so fierce, precisely because the stakes are so low"

:D

Do I sound pessimistic? haha Academia is just like any other profession. There are pros and cons. To me it is like an entrepreneurship, within an umbrella organization. You basically create your own brand *you* based on your teaching, research, and service. There is a lot of autonomy. I don't go into the office everyday, and write a lot from home. Other days we have to go to all day meetings and functions. In a way you are your own boss, until the tenure process starts ticking. If you make tenure, you have made it in academia. You no longer have the publish or perish and unless you do something insanely illegal the job is secure. Going from asst. professor to full professor takes about 10 years. Add on the five from grad school. So you've given up 15 years of your life and can spend the rest of your time sipping wine, wearing your night robe, and watching masterpiece theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YUqWe1z5Iw&t=1m31s

On a serious note, my main advice is not to seek a school, but seek a researcher you want to work with. Being called Dr is not that important...all of your colleagues will have the same title. :)IMHO, there are way easier ways to gain respect.

• Like 2
NoMoreJerks

I am in my 4th year of a PhD program. I can't say I am enjoying it at this point. I've passed through so many stages, and most of them are just a form of hazing. I wish I had not gotten into it, but I'm at the point where I've invested too much time and energy at this point to be giving up on it.. :( I definitely feel like there's been diminishing returns..

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
Anyone?

I am not 100% sure if you are doing your PhD in US or Europe? I see you are spelling program "programme" so I am assuming non-US :D There may be differences in how programs are structured and what the job market is like for you based on your location. In the US, you can basically do consulting, work for a research organization, or academia. Most jobs you will be overqualified.

One other note, and this is something I convey in the master's classes I teach...a PhD is not a super master's degree, where you just take a bunch of extra classes. A PhD is a research degree. So, if you do not like research, you will probably not be happy. With that said, if you liked the research component, a PhD is more likely an option for you. The issue is, the higher you go in education three paradoxes occur (you will really see these in your PhD studies):

--Less structure. In academia you have to be comfortable in chaos. PhDs are the ones generating the knowledge in a field. So there is that constant flux of where the field should go as a whole. You also have students relying on you to mentor them. Then, from an infrastructure position, most university processes are committee driven, i.e. a bunch of really smart people arguing mixed with a lot of politics. So you basically have to like being pulled in a lot of different directions, mentally, and you have to not mind dealing with multiple egos. If you are very structured and need a lot of external influence to stay motivated, you may find it very difficult. Long story short, the unstructured coursework is only the tip of the iceberg!

--You find out how little you actually know. Every research question you attempt to answer, draws out at least three more.

--The more you need other people. You need other PhDs to critique your work and you need more people to help you conduct quality research.

I should balance the above by saying that some students will not care, but then you have really awesome students that pick your brain, are really passionate, and want to help you with your research. There are many parts of an academic career that are highly rewarding. With that said, it is not easy and thinking about what you will do after you get the degree should be the primary reason you do or do not pursue. In my own case, after having worked in both industry and then government, I can say academia is more fulfilling and worth the sacrifice. :) What are the sacrifices? Those should also be weighed. For those five years you are in school, you could be making money and saving for retirement. I know doc students that work and do their PhD, but they are never as productive. Your romantic relationships will likely suffer. I was never able to have a successful relationship during my PhD. A lot of it was my fault b/c I put PhD first. If you are in the US, the uni you get your PhD from will not hire you. You can research academic inbreeding. Basically, you will have to move. So it is probably best not to do your PhD at the place you eventually want to end up.

Sorry, these messages are kind of scattered. As we speak I am preparing to travel for conferences. One perk of the job is you get to travel multiple times a year, and they pay for it. Conferences are basically parties for academics :D Of if you're nontenured, a good chance to go to the beach and type papers on your laptop.:bunny:

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 3
  • Author
I am not 100% sure if you are doing your PhD in US or Europe? I see you are spelling program "programme" so I am assuming non-US :D There may be differences in how programs are structured and what the job market is like for you based on your location. In the US, you can basically do consulting, work for a research organization, or academia. Most jobs you will be overqualified.

One other note, and this is something I convey in the master's classes I teach...a PhD is not a super master's degree, where you just take a bunch of extra classes. A PhD is a research degree. So, if you do not like research, you will probably not be happy. With that said, if you liked the research component, a PhD is more likely an option for you. The issue is, the higher you go in education three paradoxes occur (you will really see these in your PhD studies):

--Less structure. In academia you have to be comfortable in chaos. PhDs are the ones generating the knowledge in a field. So there is that constant flux of where the field should go as a whole. You also have students relying on you to mentor them. Then, from an infrastructure position, most university processes are committee driven, i.e. a bunch of really smart people arguing mixed with a lot of politics. So you basically have to like being pulled in a lot of different directions, mentally, and you have to not mind dealing with multiple egos. If you are very structured and need a lot of external influence to stay motivated, you may find it very difficult. Long story short, the unstructured coursework is only the tip of the iceberg!

--You find out how little you actually know. Every research question you attempt to answer, draws out at least three more.

--The more you need other people. You need other PhDs to critique your work and you need more people to help you conduct quality research.

I should balance the above by saying that some students will not care, but then you have really awesome students that pick your brain, are really passionate, and want to help you with your research. There are many parts of an academic career that are highly rewarding. With that said, it is not easy and thinking about what you will do after you get the degree should be the primary reason you do or do not pursue. In my own case, after having worked in both industry and then government, I can say academia is more fulfilling and worth the sacrifice. :) What are the sacrifices? Those should also be weighed. For those five years you are in school, you could be making money and saving for retirement. I know doc students that work and do their PhD, but they are never as productive. Your romantic relationships will likely suffer. I was never able to have a successful relationship during my PhD. A lot of it was my fault b/c I put PhD first. If you are in the US, the uni you get your PhD from will not hire you. You can research academic inbreeding. Basically, you will have to move. So it is probably best not to do your PhD at the place you eventually want to end up.

Sorry, these messages are kind of scattered. As we speak I am preparing to travel for conferences. One perk of the job is you get to travel multiple times a year, and they pay for it. Conferences are basically parties for academics :D Of if you're nontenured, a good chance to go to the beach and type papers on your laptop.:bunny:

This was very insightful, thank you!

• Like 1