Heart health as metaphor for emotional health?

Okay.

So while posting about my own emotional reactivity, and how after I have taken an emotional "hit" it takes me so long to settle down enough to be able to focus and concentrate on what I need to...

I had this idea.

Could there be an equation or at least a metaphor drawn between the indicator of heart health, about the longer it takes for your heart to recover to baseline after exercise, the less "healthy" it is, and the longer it takes you to recover from baseline, the less "emotionally healthy" perhaps, one is?

let me see if I understand what you are saying

(to get to the heart of the matter)...

you are looking for a relationship between

emotional health <--> physical health

via

the heart rate as indication of the health of two as a whole?

something like heartache related to heartbeat?

You may already be aware that the mind and thought patterns influence the release of hormones and neurochemicals which have effects on the body...similiary when you get grounded and attuned to the body, and via posture, gesture, facial expressions, mediation can have effects on mind via the endocrine system. not 100% this is what you want.

It's not very poetic...

• Author
let me see if I understand what you are saying

(to get to the heart of the matter)...

you are looking for a relationship between

emotional health <--> physical health

via

the heart rate as indication of the health of two as a whole?

something like heartache related to heartbeat?

You may already be aware that the mind and thought patterns influence the release of hormones and neurochemicals which have effects on the body...similiary when you get grounded and attuned to the body, and via posture, gesture, facial expressions, mediation can have effects on mind via the endocrine system. not 100% this is what you want.

It's not very poetic...

I remember reading something about vagal tone being a predictor of good emotional health, (though I didn't remember that until after my OP) but I wonder to, if there wouldn't be some merit to investigating whether the quick ability to self-soothe and get on with things when one is hurting could be a predictor of and or sign of mental health. Perhaps professionals of all healing disciplines might consider creating regimens around reducing emotional recovery time that it takes for one to be able to live daily life and not be consumed by whatever the thing is.

What is vagal tone?

OP, I think there is a healthy way to grieve, but it may look different for everyone. One person may recover quickly, and that's good for them. Others may take longer, and a "quick" recovery might indicate a problem. I think a very quick recovery from a major problem could be very odd.

People want to be prescribed meds these days to get over everything, and bounce right back to the happy days before a loss. But there's something to be said for making it through something difficult...it makes you stronger. It can't be a quick-fix, it just has to run its course.

I definitely see what you're saying Anya. When you're in the midst of stress, anxiety, depression, etc. any little setback is going to feel like a deathblow, and unfortunately that's kinda where I'm at right now. When I'm at "normal mental health" or whatever you want to call it half the stuff right now that's bothering me for a day, a week, a month, probably wouldn't even phase me. Guess it helps to step back and take things into perspective sometimes.