LoverOfDance

I've been taking classes and trying to learn how to pick up choreography faster(I'm a training professional in dance) for 18 months now and to be honest, it's been my biggest challenge in life so far. It's really difficult and I struggle a lot not to sink into sadness and depression because it's just really hard.

I'm focusing better now(much better than when I first started) but I feel like after working so hard in class to get the choreo, when it's time for us to perform it, a good percentage of the time, I forget the entire thing. It's so depressing because it happens so many times. It's really difficult because I do this almost every day and I spend A LOT on classes as well. I really don't know how to deal with this.

I have promised myself that I'll never stop until I reach my goal(picking up choreography fast and performing it successfully at the end of class) but honestly I'm just fighting depression right now. How do I avoid the sadness and disappointment I feel whenever I'm not able to reach my goal. How do I avoid depression. I don't want this to drive me into that miserable state. What do I do?

You are putting yourself under a lot of pressure to do this, but I understand the necessity to try to remember the sequences.

Do you think you could be depressed? Depression can affect memory and focus, so that might be affecting your overall performance. Maybe you could see your doc and get some sessions with a counsellor to see if that helps.

When you are performing, more adrenaline is rushing through the body and this affects performance too. I play a musical instrument and find this happens. I find I need to have practiced until I'm 50% better than I was in order to play OK on the day. It's really frustrating!

• Like 1
whichwayisup

Stop pushing yourself for perfection. You're going overboard and the fact that you can't focus is your body and mind telling you to slow down.

Each day take time for yourself. Go for a peaceful walk, do some yoga..it'll help relax you and calm you down.

• Like 1

You set smaller goals and complete those first to build up your motivation and momentum into achieving the bigger ones.

Focus on baby steps. For example, a section of choreo rather than the entire routine. Small wins lead to big wins.

Work out the bare minimum you have to do every day and focus on doing those things. If you complete those, then you get to reward yourself at the end of the day. If you can do more, do more. If not, just focus on the bare minimum.

And if you are not already doing so, I'd seek professional help for your depression.

• Like 2

Stress adversely affects your memory. You are also worrying about what other people think. Dance for yourself, not for them.

• Like 1