"Any idiot can face a crisis...

...it's this day to day living that wears us out".

I adore this quote, apparently from Anton Chekhov.

I have it framed in my bedroom because at the time I stumbled across it (my most recent depression) it was incredibly meaningful for me.

I have been stretched to my limit many times in my adult life by stressful situations; and been so ill that sometimes I have desperately wished I could stop coping and finally tip over the edge and be taken in to care so I could rest and accept some help.

And yet, with no crisis to deal with and no focus to cling to, THAT is when the depression has engulfed me. It amazes me the capacity that I (and people in general) have to cope with such enormous pressures on mind and body. It's extraordinary.

I found the quote comforting and I just wondered whether any others identify with it?

:)

• Like 1
Ross MwcFan

So experiencing regular crisises makes you feel better/less depressed? :confused:

For me it's the opposite.

• Author
So experiencing regular crisises makes you feel better/less depressed? :confused:

It becomes a shelter. Like when I was working 75hrs a week, being bullied at work, and going through a break-up. I had no chance to feel depression. Surviving each day took every ounce of everything I had.

Does that make a bit more sense? :)

whichwayisup

Why the opposite, Ross?

Surviving each day took every ounce of everything I had.

I know that feeling too..

I'll add, (as cliche as this expression is, it's true!) What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

If life was simple and nobody went through tough and stressful times, how does one grow and become stronger?

There's always enlightenment and reward when one pushes through rough times and come out on top.

• Like 1
Ross MwcFan
Why the opposite, Ross?

When I go through really bad things it makes me feel really bad. Just being aware of the fact that something really bad could happen in my life anytime soon stops me from ever properly being able to be happy. When I don't go through really bad things I feel a lot happier and at peace.

I have heard about how some people feel like they have to go through suffering often in life in order to feel happy/have enriched lives, but I'm not one of them.

• Author
When I go through really bad things it makes me feel really bad. Just being aware of the fact that something really bad could happen in my life anytime soon stops me from ever properly being able to be happy.

Ross, I think the fear of something bad happening is often worse than it happening. Not all people, but many people find that they cope far better than they could previously gauged they would. At an extreme you see this in accidents or natural tragedies, people find strength and sense where they never could have predicted it.

When I don't go through really bad things I feel a lot happier and at peace.

That makes practical sense. My own experience has been that sometimes other 'stuff' can disguise internal, longer-term problems.

I have heard about how some people feel like they have to go through suffering often in life in order to feel happy/have enriched lives, but I'm not one of them.

I don't think I have to go through $hit to be happy, but I am very appreciative and grateful of a lot in my life, small and large, because I can think back to the crappiest times and feel good I'm not there.

whichwayisup
When I go through really bad things it makes me feel really bad. Just being aware of the fact that something really bad could happen in my life anytime soon stops me from ever properly being able to be happy. When I don't go through really bad things I feel a lot happier and at peace.

I know what you mean. And nobody wants to go through bad stuff, or feel bad, but that's the thing, stuff happens that's totally out of our control. That's life. You can't avoid it and you need to try not to let it scare you from living. Enjoy the now. Things are good, you're feeling happy..Thoughts that are into the future or having worrisome thoughts/fantasies, the what if's etc, will only make you feel worse. Why worry about something that hasn't happened? I know it's easier said than done, but really try hard to push yourself and those thoughts out of your head. It prevents you from living life happily.

Ross, you've some issues going on, the driving thing. To you, that's a big thing..Imagine you mastering all your fears, facing them one by one and fighting through it. YOU WIN by learning how to control your anxiety. That's growth and it makes you stronger. Maybe that bit of suffering and angst you feel IS your lesson to learn from..Not as big as what others may have to deal with, but enough to make you push harder to work through your own issues. Hope that makes sense.