miss_jaclynrae

:laugh: Congrats!

I don't think I could EVER do that!

I am enjoying an espresso over ice as I type! :p

• Like 1
I quit drinking coffee today!!!

Can I get a high five?!?

I am so proud of myself!!! :D

A fellow coffee quitter! Well done. I'm on my fourth week of being coffee free. I've been drinking green tea instead. For me, there was a general goal of improving my health - and a specific goal of reducing my migraines (I know that coffee helps anti migraine medication work more quickly, but it can also contribute towards more migraines in the long term).

What were your reasons for quitting coffee?

• Like 2

FL, I love you so yes, high five!

But as an unapologetic coffee addict, I share Tman's incredulity. :D

What was the impetus?

And did I say congratulations??

Congratulations!

• Like 1
I quit drinking coffee today!!!

Can I get a high five?!?

I am so proud of myself!!! :D

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during your time of troubles.

::hugs

• Like 1
  • Author
Forever Learning

Thanks everyone!! :D

At the risk of over-explaining everything, here goes on why I decided to quit........

I was not a big coffee drinker to begin with, maybe 1 -2 cups each morning, but I was certainly dependant both emotionally and physically on it.

I started not liking the feeling of "HAVING" to have that coffee, to get happy and get going. So that was reason # 1.

It felt alot like a drug addiction.

And, since caffeine is a drug (some say) - I feel comfortable calling it a drug addiction. Others might freak at that statement, but that's how I view it.

I spent the night away from home the other night (settle down kiddos, no story to tell there, you pervs. Hell, I wish there was!! :) ) and I realized my main focus in being away from home was that I was quite worried about how I'd get my coffee in the morning!!

Addiction.

The next problem was, how much sugar I put in my coffee. I put milk too. But the problem was the sugar. I would make it soo sweet, most of you would have tasted it and spit it in the sink. No really. Sickeningly sweet. I actually tried to taper off the amount of sugar used, without much success. I just liked it to taste a certain way. Sickeningly sweet, just like me!! :D

PLUS, the sugar was part 2 of a 1 - 2 punch to shock my system in the morning, into awakeness. Which was great!!

Until about 2 hours later, when I would crash.

That was not so great.

I'd usually drink more coffee. But I could never reach that good feeling that I'd get from the first cup. There were things going on.

Blood sugar things. Insulin things. Don't ask me what exactly. But it didn't feel right. It was roller coaster-ish. I'd get a little shakey, and just not feel quite right. I sometimes wouldn't feel balanced, normal, and finally like myself, until after lunch-ish. It didn't always effect me like that, back in my twenties and thirties. But I'm 43 now, and the old body ain't as resiliant as it used to be. Heck, I can get a really bad, all day long hang over from just 3 beers now. Three beers wouldn't phase me in my twenties, as far as a hangover the next day.

I had read an article a while back, not sure which one, but here is one like it:

Does Caffeine Slow Weight Loss By Spiking Insulin? | LIVESTRONG.COM

It mentions that caffeine, can cause an insulin spike in blood sugar (which among other things, insulin can hang around and cause havoc all day long, and also impede weight loss, for those trying to lose weight).

Adding the vast amount of sugar to my coffee as I did, was great for the initial wake up 'blood sugar shock', but it went downhill afterwards into a yucky, shaky feeling.

So that's why I quit coffee!

I am eating All Bran cereal instead (I know, I know, you're gonna say don't forget the prune juice - HA! Beat you to it, slow pokes), -hopefully it is low on the glycemic index and will level out my blood sugar. I will have to check on that. I need a breakfast food that burns SLOWLY for sustained morning energy.

Whats really neat is, this morning wasn't so bad - I was expecting an intense, nasty, throbbing (there you go again pervs) headache - so I took a generic headache relief pill that contains Acetaminophen, Aspirin and Caffeine (65mg). And no headache to be found. Awesome!

Thanks again for the high fives everyone!! And yes Taramere, I'm going to drink some tea as well tomorrow morning, to further distract myself with a hot drink in hand. I've already hid the coffee pot away. You should see all the extra counter space I have now, it's super neat. Cheers loves!! :D

Edited by Forever Learning
  • Like 2
  • Author
Forever Learning

Day 2 - and still going strong! Easy peasey japanesy!!

More congrats and high fives are always accepted! :)

My kids are impressed. They hate coffee breath kisses. They noticed the coffee pot gone and went into celebration mode and gave me high fives. It doesn't take much for cause for celebration at our house!

And then they wanted donuts for further celebration, and I told them no.

Hey, I'm good, but I'm not that good.

Mean mommy!

Edited by Forever Learning
  • Like 1
Day 2 - and still going strong! Easy peasey japanesy!!

More congrats and high fives are always accepted! :)

My kids are impressed. They hate coffee breath kisses. They noticed the coffee pot gone and went into celebration mode and gave me high fives. It doesn't take much for cause for celebration at our house!

And then they wanted donuts for further celebration, and I told them no.

Hey, I'm good, but I'm not that good.

Mean mommy!

Nahhh... Doughnuts are just a gateway drug to coffee, so I think you made the right choice.

• Like 1

You're right, no need to get all this caffeine from coffee, glad you quit. Just go out and buy the caffeine pills like I do. That's right, proud caffeine addict right here! And that crap about worrying that it's gonna spike insulin levels and make you fat blah blah, don't worry bout that.

• Like 1
whichwayisup

Tea has just as much caffeine in it so make sure you do decafe. And try honey in your tea, no sugar!

• Like 2

Caffeine content varies according to type of drink (black tea, green tea, instant coffee, espresso or filter) but on all the health and fact sites I've ever seen, a cup of tea is estimated at having roughly one half to a third the caffeine content of the average cup of coffee. eg

Caffeine In Green Tea Vs. Coffee | LIVESTRONG.COM

Edited by Taramere
  • Like 1