Hey All,

I've been depressed recently and thought maybe some people here might have some insight, advice, whatever, on how to pull myself out of it. Or at least hear from people who can relate.

Basically, I'm in a horrible rut, I wake up nearly everyday feeling there's no reason to get out of bed. I work on part-time basis for a non-profit organization. I love the organization itself. We work with celebrated, incredibly talented artists, both established and rising, for a humanitarian purpose. It's great but I make very little money doing what I do. I'm constantly on the lookout for part-time and freelance work, whether at a museum, retail, restaurant, design, whatever, I always apply. Most of the time though it hasn't worked out. Recently there's been a trickling of freelance work but it always pays very little(regardless I'm still happy to have it).

Because I make so little I can't do anything. I can't get a beer with friends, can't do dinner, can't go on trips. I hardly see any of my friends anymore. I sometimes struggle to pay for train fare to get to work/go to an interview/do anything. I struggle to buy groceries. I'd like to be out and active, but I just end up sitting in my room. This has been going on for a while..8 mo to a year and it just getting worse. It's a cliche but the idea of dealing with the day is horrible and it just gets harder. My best friend lives in another city, he's as supportive as he can be, but what can anyone do for me? This is a situation I have to get out of on my own. I feel alone and isolated.

I'm home all the time so I've been thinking of other routes I can take that can help me out of my rut. I have a design portfolio but it's from college and getting progressively more and more outdated. I started making my own projects, like identity and print design for a cafe or for a logo and package design for a jewelry company. Some of them look good but aren't practical, some of them are beautiful and smart. I've shown them to people and ask for their opinion, but then I don't have a printer or money to produce them. I also applied to teach english in a Spain and a few other Spanish speaking countries for a year, since I've always wanted to go to Spain and South America and learn spanish, but that costs all together $5,000, with fees, housing, plane ticket, etc. I'm losing motivation on all counts.. it's difficult to even get to work when I don't have the money to even get there.. tomorrow I'm going to have to walk the hour it takes to get to work.

I guess I am stressed, feeling isolated, joyless.. it's difficult to see/find opportunity when I'm so limited. I'm young, 26, I shouldn't feel this way. can I do except what I'm doing?

Mr Scorpio

I guess I am stressed, feeling isolated, joyless.. it's difficult to see/find opportunity when I'm so limited. I'm young, 26, I shouldn't feel this way. can I do except what I'm doing?

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Although I have a few years on you, I can relate to the depression that comes with a lack of full-time employment. Even in a down economy, it seems many people still under-estimate the burden that not having a lot of money can place on ones social life.

As for what you can do? That is hard to say. I'm rolling the dice on furthering my education. As to whether or not it pays off, we'll see.