I could not live without my cat.

My cat has a heart murmur.I've known it for a long time and didnt think anything of it.Now all of the sudden Im very worried about him.I hope he will be ok cause I couldnt live without him.Im very attached to him.I hope it wont lead to heart failure.

Patty

Heart murmurs are quite common, not only in cars but in humans as well. Most of them are totally benign and harmless. The only difference when the are actually serious is that cats get nine chances...humans usually one or two.

Next time your at the vet, get your pet a CAT scan. My guess is that your pet is purrfectly normal!!!

• Author

It just freaked me out when I read about the cat mumurs on some site.I have heart murmur myself.Hes due to go the vet soon.

Thanks

Patty

HokeyReligions

Hi Patty, I'm a dog person myself, but I understand how you feel about your cat.

Cats can live with a murmur and it does not have to shorten their life. I had a dog who lived to 15 years with a murmur and I have another dog now who has a murmur. My mom has had a murmur since she was a baby and she's 76 now.

There is a good website http://www.acmepet.com that has some message boards about animals and health boards too where you can ask specific questions. I've found a lot of information there that I take with me to the vet and ask about. Sometimes I don't know what questions to ask when I'm there!

My dogs are my children and I couldn't love them more if I had given birth to them. Try not to worry about your cat -- he can pick up on your emotions and it can make him feel bad or scared too. Just love him and take care of him and make him happy -- he doesn't know he has a murmur! He just wants love and play and food and naps!

There's a lot of terribly bad and conflicting information on specialty Internet message boards, particularly those dealing with medical, medication, disease, etc. issues. Everybody (non-expert, unlicensed persons) has a different take on the same thing. You'll be doing yourself a major favor by not screwing your mind up from what you read.

Get authoritative information from you doctor or your pet's vet. Don't get it from a message board.

HokeyReligions

Tony is right and that's why I said in my last post that I get information from the boards that I take to my vet. I do the same with people health. The internet is a wonderful source of excellent information IF ONE KNOWS HOW TO USE IT.

Don't just take it at face value -- the same with the info on this board.