How do you get a job without much job experience?

This is a question I've never really figured out the answer to.

Here's my situation. I'm still finishing college (I'm 24). Right now I'm taking night classes and I'll be a full time student in the Fall (hopefully). I'm currently looking for a day job. I've been temping here and there, but I want something more stable. I'd also like to do something fun for a change and avoid the soul-crushingness of office work, even if that something pays less. Ideally something where I interact with a lot of people because I need friends.

I was considering working at bookstore, coffeeshop, waitressing, what have you. Problem is whenever I fill out an application I don't know what to put in the past experience section. The last job I had was two years ago and it was a temporary, 5 month position. I can't even use them as a referral because the person I was working for left. Frankly, I don't think he even liked me, so I'd be hesitant to use him even if I could track him down. (I think I did a good job, but he just seemed to really dislike my personality. He seemed put off by my shyness.)

Before that I had short term temp assignments, so never really got to know any of my supervisors. I also had a job for two years editing at my college newspaper but that was ages ago and I can't exactly use a former fellow student as a reference (right?) -- my "boss" was another, older student.

So what the heck am I supposed to do about referrals?

There's also the fact that I'm way old for a college student because I took all this time off and was dismissed from my former school. I never know how to explain that bit.

I'm going to make the rounds of local establishments today and pick up a bunch of applications, but have no clue how to proceed from there. Ideas?

Edited by shadowplay

Can you list your temp agency as a work reference? I know with the local temp agency in my area you are technically an employee of them. That should cover one reference.

A professor, coworker, etc. can also be another good reference. You can also see if the school has any employment agency that might help you find a job or internship. Most schools have on campus jobs that don't pay well but do provide a good foundation for references.

melodymatters

Well, it's not like you are going out for a neurosurgery job, so I am going to give you rare advice : LIE !!!

Say you worked at xyz company for however many years and they closed, and then use a friends contact number ( prep them with the details obviously)

I am huge on honesty, but when it comes to the corportate world, sometimes you need to fudge things to get your foot in the door.

Just make sure it's something you can actually DO. I mean if you've never waitressed or whatever you aren't going to know the terminology.

As far as taking time off from school, either A) hey I needed money, had to work for while, so I took a year off or B) took a year off to help my family, sick relative etc.

And, too old for a college student ??? I know people in their 30's, 40's and 50's going back to school to change careers !

KenzieAbsolutely

There's also the fact that I'm way old for a college student because I took all this time off and was dismissed from my former school. I never know how to explain that bit.

first of all, you are NOT way old for a college student. i also went back to school at 24 and finished when i was 26 (it took some extra time because i switched schools AND changed majors). i wasn't dismissed from my first school, BUT i probably should have been. i was able to get out of some bad grades and incompletes based on a medical technicality. after that, i took well over a year off, almost 2, actually.

second, when i was applying to the school i did finally graduate from, i explained in my admissions essay that, although the medical situation did not help, i knew for sure that i was not ready to be a college student at the time i began. my heart wasn't in it, i didn't know what i wanted to do or be, and that no one had ever really asked me what i wanted to do or be; it was just decided that i would go to college--my only option at the time was 'which one'.

i explained that after a unfavorable first experience, and after some time off when i was able to do some real soul-searching, i was now older, wiser, and knew what i wanted, and that my previous experiences made me even more ready to tackle my new goals, goals that I MADE, that i knew could and would accomplish.

so don't get yourself down over. i didn't have a ton of work experience either, but for some jobs, it doesn't matter so much. and for others, the education you have under your belt matters infinitely more than working the counter at mcdonald's just to show you had a job at one time.

in my experience, some good old-fashioned, heart-felt honesty is highly appreciate by many people. they get tired of hearing the bull**** all the time, it makes them value someone who doesn't mind telling the truth.

use your judgment. i think you'll be okay. :)

This is a question I've never really figured out the answer to.

Here's my situation. I'm still finishing college (I'm 24). Right now I'm taking night classes and I'll be a full time student in the Fall (hopefully). I'm currently looking for a day job. I've been temping here and there, but I want something more stable. I'd also like to do something fun for a change and avoid the soul-crushingness of office work, even if that something pays less. Ideally something where I interact with a lot of people because I need friends.

I was considering working at bookstore, coffeeshop, waitressing, what have you. Problem is whenever I fill out an application I don't know what to put in the past experience section. The last job I had was two years ago and it was a temporary, 5 month position. I can't even use them as a referral because the person I was working for left. Frankly, I don't think he even liked me, so I'd be hesitant to use him even if I could track him down. (I think I did a good job, but he just seemed to really dislike my personality. He seemed put off by my shyness.)

Before that I had short term temp assignments, so never really got to know any of my supervisors. I also had a job for two years editing at my college newspaper but that was ages ago and I can't exactly use a former fellow student as a reference (right?) -- my "boss" was another, older student.

So what the heck am I supposed to do about referrals?

I'm going to make the rounds of local establishments today and pick up a bunch of applications, but have no clue how to proceed from there. Ideas?

I would use a professor for a reference if you can. And for the experience section just put down what did. If you indicate you are in college, they don't expect that much experience, and gaps in employment. And for a job thats not related to your major, I doubt they would ask much about your grades and stuff like that, so I don't think the two schools on your app would be that big of a deal.

I hire people with no experience in our field all the time.

They're fairly entry level positions and the job market is booming here atm, so I don't really have hundreds of people beating down the door to work here.

That said, it all comes down to how well they do at the interview. If it's a Customer Service role you're interested in, the interview will be doubly important as your personality and confidence will sell you.

You can use just about anyone as a reference, you just have to not tell the whole truth, for instance your best friend used to work with you, so you can tell them that she was your coworker and use her as a reference, you don't have to tell them that she is also your best friend. Use your "boss" from the college newspaper, there is no harm in that.

As far as listing you past experience write down the jobs you have had and your responsibilities there, it doesn't matter if there are gaps, you can explain that when you talk to them in person.

Most employers will not ask you why you stopped attending a school (especially since you are in school now) so there is no need to bring it up.

You're balancing education with casual/temp positions, that's only to be expected. At least in the country I live, you are an employee of the agency, not the companies you actually do the work for, so jdeedee is probably right there.

Depending on the wording of the form, references don't have to be professional. They can be character references as well.

There's no harm in listing your temp positions as employment history, they still count. All you can really do is throw your applications around and see if any interest comes back.

And try not to lie too much, keep any embellishments you care to add grounded mostly in truth.

Cheers,

D.