Prenatal Vitamines - safe or not when not pregnant?

Okay, I have been checking out this bottle of Rainbow Light prenatal tabs for two weeks now, and I haven't bought it yet. I heard a lot of people saying it's good for your hair, skin, and nails even without being pregnant. Some even say women should take them at least one year prior to conceiving. On the other hand, I read an article saying that experts claim it is not safe for non-pregnant women to take it, because of the levels of iron and zinc, which are way too high for women who are not expecting.

Now I don't know. Is it good or not? Ughhh

slubberdegullion

Check with your doctor. Anecdotal evidence is worse than useless, and "natural" drug proponents often have a political axe to grind.

With a healthy diet and decent lifestyle you don't likely have a need for vitamins anyway.

It is safe to take prenatal vitamins when you're not pregnant. I was taking prenatal vitamins throughout my pregnancy, and noticed how fast my hair and nails were growing. I loved it!!! So, after I had my daughter, I asked my doctor if I could safely continue to take these because of the results of the hair and nail growth, and he said that it was safe :D , and whatever extra vitamins were in my system, I would just pee out. So, I've been on them since the birth of my daughter, which was 9 years ago, and I have not experienced one problem.

• Author

Actually, I found an alternative. I looked up what exactly in those prenat vitamins is good for hair, skin and nails, and found out it's mainly folic acid and vitamin E. So, I bought both lol Those can't be bad at all, and that way I avoid the other 500 ingredients that are found in prenatal stuff, and which I don't even know how to pronounce (always beware of the things you can't pronounce :D ) Plus, it's cheaper that way! Hah.

Actually, your hair and nails reflect your overall health so your best bet is to be sure you're eating right, drinking enough water, getting enough rest - you know - same old sameold advice but it's all good.

• Author

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with it. I just want it to grow faster :p which I read folic acid could definitely boost.