LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

I like cardio more than weights

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2017, 10:04 AM   #16
Established Member

To Eight:

Thanks, I for sure will Google that!
Glad to hear of your success too!
Eight likes this.
Cersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 9:55 AM   #17
Established Member

Forget that 5x5 crap, it's the slowest approach you can take to making gains. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I currently do 8 sets of 10-15 reps. Normally it would be 12+ sets of 6-10 reps when I'm lifting heavier weights.

If you want the best overall workout for fitness, do circuit training. It's a great combination of cardio and resistance, and the chance of injury is low since a lot of it is calisthenics. Here's a sample program:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/worko...-training-work

When you're feeling fit and ready, up it and do more of a Crossfit style workout. Personally I think that is the best workout for overall fitness, I'm just not big on the cultish aspect of it, so I design my own workouts.
KBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 10:51 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBob View Post
Forget that 5x5 crap, it's the slowest approach you can take to making gains. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I currently do 8 sets of 10-15 reps. Normally it would be 12+ sets of 6-10 reps when I'm lifting heavier weights.

If you want the best overall workout for fitness, do circuit training. It's a great combination of cardio and resistance, and the chance of injury is low since a lot of it is calisthenics. Here's a sample program:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/worko...-training-work

When you're feeling fit and ready, up it and do more of a Crossfit style workout. Personally I think that is the best workout for overall fitness, I'm just not big on the cultish aspect of it, so I design my own workouts.
Your link is broken.
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 11:54 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
Your link is broken.
Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out. It won't let me edit it so let's try this again:

https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/work...ining-workout/
KBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 12:54 PM   #20
Established Member

Well I took CautiouslyOptomistic's suggestion. I just got home from my 1st Body Pump class. Holy crap! That was exactly what I needed. I think every muscle in this body is going to hate me tomorrow. But I used lighter weights and I could not keep up at times. But I kept going. There is another class on Tuesday that I plan to go to. It was not pure hell like I thought it might be.

At this point for me I think the group/class setting is best for me as a person. I sometimes take the easy way out and it would be super easy to just avoid the hard stuff that challenges me. (Or only do a couple reps and say screw it.) As I get stronger I will hopefully see it differently.

---------------------------------------

Circuit training was mentioned. Well here is how little I know:
There used to be a chain here called "Curves for Women" where there was a circle of different pieces of equipment. After so long (not sure how long, I never ever went) you move to the next machine. I thought that was the true definition of circuit training. Ooooops.
Cersei is offline   Reply With Quote