Does face look better via strength training vs. running?

I'm not sure, but I think my face looks better/more attractive when I add strength training vs. just running alone, which in turns makes me feel better about myself, and in turn keeps me motivated to do strength training.

When just running (marathon training), I noticed my face is not as sharp (stays rounder maybe?).

But when I only did strength training, or recently included strength training with my running, I think I notice my face look more sharp or lean?

It's odd because you would think that running or cardio would make the face look more lean.

• Like 1

No idea where you came up with this. Your face will always look better when you are leaner. You will have sharp features. every model has sharp features. whether its from running or lifting weights, it doesn't matter. Less body fat, more attractive you will look.

Not everyone has the bone structure to look good lean and vice versa. It's not true that the lower the body fat the better you look.

I find that lifting vs much cardio gives me an overall better look as well. A healthier, fleshier, stronger body and good skin.

It's something you need to watch as you get older, I see many women in their 40s and 50s that do too much cardio and their face looks sunken and far too wrinkly as a result.

You need more meat on you as you get older.

• Like 1
  • Author
Not everyone has the bone structure to look good lean and vice versa. It's not true that the lower the body fat the better you look.

I find that lifting vs much cardio gives me an overall better look as well. A healthier, fleshier, stronger body and good skin.

It's something you need to watch as you get older, I see many women in their 40s and 50s that do too much cardio and their face looks sunken and far too wrinkly as a result.

You need more meat on you as you get older.

I should add, sun and food.

When running, I was not wearing a hat, just sunglasses. Wanted to tan. I think I was looking older than I needed to be (though I am 40). Now that I'm wearing a hat, skin is starting to look more appealing, I think

Also, training for races, I ate carbs more. I'm trying to reduce, while being able to still train well (have energy).

My face definitely looks different when I'm lean. I'm not sure if it's "better", but the difference is significant.

One thing that does make me look better is drinking a lot of water. I was drinking a gallon of water a day for a period and my skin looked great.

Keeping my body fat down, staying hydrated and getting plenty of sleep probably helps me look and feel my best.

thefooloftheyear

Unless you are carrying a lot of unnecessary body fat or retaining water, testosterone will make a face more chiseled looking...In addition to developing small muscles in the face and neck, there is also the propensity to lose stored fat in those areas...

Take a look at women who are steroid users...they lose the "softness" of their facial structure...

So then it stands to reason that weight training could have that kind of effect...

TFY

Leaner vs. not, well, yes your features are more defined when you have "less" fat. BUT...I have seen some less than attractive women out there who do too much of either. I don't know about the weight lifters, but some look too masculine. Steroids? And for those who run too much....gaunt. Neither attractive to me.

Romantic Gentleman

Depends what you're wanting out of your training. Are you just wanting your face leaner, or to live a healthy lifestyle? With a healthy diet, and light weight training, you will actually burn more calories with leaner muscle, compared to fat. Light weight, more reps will give you definition in your face, and body, compared to heavy weight training which will build muscle in bulk. A mix of light strength training, and cardio will give you the results I think you're looking for

• 1 month later...

It depends if one went to the what extreme. Just speaking for myself I classify marathon as a extreme in the running category and bodybuilding at high level comps on the other side. Both can change your face. I would say to my eyes 4 time out of five the people that do extreme running look more worn out and negatively changes the way they look. Had friends who have done both extremes.

From personal experience, the combination of the two seemed to work fairly well in my favour. Normally a daily routine would be 2-3 hours of cardio and 3-4 hours of intensive strength training.

It's personal preference really, one could be more beneficial than the other. But I do recommend both, as I believe that it'll help you maintain a healthy body but more physical strength at the same time.

I run, I swim, I lift. It's beneficial.

But actually I run, I lift, I swim.....because if I swam, I'd have to do a really good shower/scrubbing before doing anything else.

How does my face look? Like a ****ing rock star......that is not on drugs.

Ok, maybe on drugs. I'm pretty damn lean.