I have a case of itchy scalp recently and am trying to look for a permanent cure for it.

I've been having this issue for quite some time and I've been coping by going for scalp treatments. They do work but they're not cheap and the itch returns after about three weeks thereabouts.

There's no visible dandruff or lice or anything, just ITCH, and honestly, it's killing me! I'm currently using Head & Shoulders but it doesn't seem to help. I alternate it with Aveda's Shampure, supposedly for scalp but it doesn't seem to be working!

The hair's been crazy fuzzy recently too by the way. It looks dull and limp.

And if it's of any use, I'm taking Vit C + Zinc supplements and Cod Liver Oil.

Anyone with similar experience, please do share your thoughts on this.

Thank you!

RecentChange

Many people are sensitive/ allergic to SLS- sodium lauryl sulfate. It is a sudsing agent added to shampoos, body washes and toothpaste. Common symptoms are an itchy scalp, and mouth ulcers for those having trouble with their toothpaste.

I recommend trying a sulfate free shampoo, there are a number on the market, especially if you go to a specialty store. But even a grocery chain should have options. If it is also free, the product will most likely be advertised as so on the front.

Head and shoulders isn't a great product, and relies more on coating the scalp rather than leaving it clean ans healthy.

Nioxin shampoo is another option. Kinda spendy but a great product (designed for thin hair) that leaves the scalp clean ans refreshed, I have seen it help people who suffer from scalp irritation.

(I worked at a high end beauty store way back in college!)

There's a salve called Sulfur 8 which you can buy at the drugstore and some grocery stores. It's smelly and greasy so you should use it on the weekend when you're alone, but it WILL stop the itch.

This will come from left field but how are your teeth and gums? do you have any pain or infections that you are waiting to get fixed..

Teeth, gums/infections can cause all kinds of issues with your scalp.

Check out Lush products. They only use fresh natural ingredients. :)

Hair | LUSH

If you're in the UK be aware of Lush - even the conditioners contain SLS.

Head and Shoulders is a very harsh shampoo.

Avena is also actually.

Go look up LongHairCommunity forum for advice.

It does sound like a SLS & silicone issue to me.

• Like 1
RecentChange

More about LSL - My husband has a pretty severe allergy (very itchy skin, scalp, and mouth ulcers if exposed) so we have played around with a number of products.

First - there is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - which many people have problems with, there is a natural alternative called Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate - most people do NOT have problems with this natural alternative:

Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate sounds similar to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, however, the two molecules are quite different from each other. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is a large molecule ingredient. Large molecule ingredients are considered to be mild, gentle, and non-irritating, as they cannot penetrate the skin.

For my husband, Jason brand products are a winner - naturally derived and LSL free:

http://www.jason-personalcare.com/body-loving-products/hair

The Aloe Vera shampoo and conditioner work well for him:

Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera Shampoo (IASC Certified)

• Like 1

If you decide to get a SLS free shampoo, also get a conditioner which is free of silicone. Any product on the ingredient list ending in 'cone' is a silicone product. The silicone coats your hair and the end result is dull and fuzzy - just as you describe.

My daughter just changed from regular to these shampoo and conditioner combo and has gone from having frizzy hair to defined curls.

Also, if your scalp can bear it, do a detox by rubbing a paste of bicarb soda and apple cider vinegar through your hair just as you make the switch. It will strip the silicon from your hair and immediately remove the fuzz.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you tried antihistamines? I had a similar problem which I realised came on after I'd been out walking under trees. I think they drop pollen or something on my head which I'm allergic to. I have a tendency to allergies. I don't know what it is that sets off the head itching thing, but I realised it was an allergy. It goes when I've washed my hair and washed off the allergen but until then antihistamines get rid of the itching.

• Author

Thanks for the suggestions!

Recent discovery - if I shampoo first and condition last, my scalp would itch. But if I condition first and shampoo last, it itches less.

I found this conditioner called SUKIN PROTEIN CONDITIONER. I love it! It's made of natural ingredients and is silicone free. Not sure if they have it at where you are, it's an Australian brand.

I'll try to keep using the method I mentioned above and see if it'll eventually eliminate the itch. I'll update!

Is anyone here using the no-poo method?

Yes, I'm a no poo (shampoo)

I've not used shampoo for over 5 years - at least not in any way regularly - only on odd occasions where I've been time strapped and needed to clean off an overnight oiling quickly. The shamppo I own mostly gathers duct in my cupboard and gets used maybe once a year.

I think what is happening when you condition first and shampoo last is that you're creating a heavier barrier to the shamppo working as quickly - it has a tougher job to do so doesn't strip your hair as much as doing it the other way around.

If you have dyed hair especially then your hair will love protein rich conditioner - but also undyed hair loves it as a boost in most cases.

After a time using it though you will find that your hair length will become lack luster - basically you don't want to use a protein conditioner for too long or too regularly as eventually it'll 'overload' (even silicone free ones) your hair. When your hair no longer wants protein it'll basically tell you! :)

If you want to go the no poo option then you'll need to make sure all products you use on your hair are silicone free.

Plus you're better to look for cheap, runny type supermarket conditioners and check the ingredients. Words ending in 'ane' and 'one' are the main ones to look for but is you see a word like that which has 'PEG' at the beginning it means it's water soluble so you won't need shampoo to remove it from your hair.

Tresemme is a brand which a lot of folk use but I found it too drying on my hair and it gave me an itchy scalp.

I use a cheap coconut conditioner from Tesco. It's about 90p a bottle and I use about a bottle a week. If you wash with conditioner you use much more than if you wash with shampoo.

You also need to massage your scalp much more thoroughly.

The first couple of weeks of going no poo you'll likely find your roots are greasier as they're over producing oil expecting to be stripped every time you wash but this goes away.

If you do want to try it out then first off use a sulphate shampoo (making sure there's no silicones in it either) before you start to get rid of any potential build up of silicone.