Any tips for an almost beginner?

I've done this on and off over the years but I'm now at the point where I am considering this for my walk to and from work and also my weekend rambles.

• Like 1

Why?

Unless you are walking on a beach (where the terrain moulds to your foot shape), I would think the potential perils of stepping on street crap and debris would outweigh whatever benefits would be received from being in bare feet.

What is the problem with a good pair of walking shoes and why do you think being barefoot is more beneficial?

• Like 1
  • Author

In the summer free feet feels amazing no matter what surface (I'm not at gravel stage but concrete and pavement is fine).

I don't want to deal with clumpy walking shoes, plus the arch supports make your arch lazy and heels in that type of footwear encourage heel strike.

Walking barefoot does neither.

ETA: Where I live there is no debris on the streets, they get cleaned early each morning.

Edited by GemmaUK
  • Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Agree with the other poster....

Nothing worse than stepping in dog shyt and feeling it squish through your toes...:eek:.:laugh:

I wouldn't do it, but hey, that's me...Sorry I couldn't be more help...:)

TFY

• Like 2

Nice on a sandy or pebbled beach, but the streets of any town or city are filthy.

Fomites are not your friend.

Fomite Exposure

Fomite exposure requires an inanimate object to carry a pathogen from one susceptible animal to another. Fomite exposure often involves a secondary route of exposure such as oral or direct contact for the pathogen to enter the host. Examples of fomites include contaminated vehicles, shovels, clothing, bowls/buckets, brushes, tack, and clippers.

Traffic Transmission

A subtype of fomite exposure, traffic transmission involves a vehicle, trailer, or human, which causes the spread of a pathogenic agent through contaminated tires, wheel wells, undercarriage, clothing, or *shoes/boots by spreading organic material to another location.

Source here.

Edited by Satu

I don't want to deal with clumpy walking shoes, plus the arch supports make your arch lazy and heels in that type of footwear encourage heel strike.

To me, that's why Birkenstock were invented...

But I live at the beach and I walk everyday in the sand bare feet.

• Like 1

I don't have any experience myself, but if you are unfamiliar with minimalist shoes with "zero-drop", they may be a good introduction to going full barefoot. Maybe they can help with the transition.

Also, barefoot hiking and barefoot running communities online may be of help.

Edited by rester
  • Like 1

Consider going with a five toe shoe instead of pure barefoot.

Unless you've done barefoot walking/running before, start small. Maybe a half mile run or a mile walk. You'll be surprised at the muscles you use. I remember the first barefoot/5 toe shoe run I did - I went three miles and well, walked like Frankenstein for a week.

• Like 1

I don't walk walk in the city barefoot but I do when out in nature. I carry a pair of shoes I can slip on easily, if it's a fairly flat environment, only a pair of flip flops. I have quite strong ankles and legs though from lifting so I'm not worried about ankle support.

• Like 1

I love it how people are phobic of walking on the pavement barefoot but will do it at the beach? The sand there isn't any cleaner than the pavement you know. People spit, throw rubbish, cough up lurgies and flick bits of flotsam out of their nose onto the beach too....In fact the sand particles have probably been inside someone's jocks rubbing up agains their genitals. :laugh:

Has anyone here ever touched a pedestrian crossing button? Put your hands on a bridge or stair rail? Then you are exposing yourself to possibly more pathogens doing that than walking barefoot. People go to the loo, don't wash their hands and then touch those items all the time. :sick:

I walk barefoot all the time in summer.

• Like 2

One answer: Vibrams 5 toed shoe.

I love these. Find them so comfortable. Tried running in them but I didn't like it ...but walking or other forms of exercise...YES!

Getting the right fit on these can be tricky. Go for the larger size in my opinion.

My neighbor says my vibrams are ugly, but I think they are cool....and ohhhh sooo comfy! Look them up.

• Like 1
I love it how people are phobic of walking on the pavement barefoot but will do it at the beach? The sand there isn't any cleaner than the pavement you know. People spit, throw rubbish, cough up lurgies and flick bits of flotsam out of their nose onto the beach too....In fact the sand particles have probably been inside someone's jocks rubbing up agains their genitals. :laugh:

Has anyone here ever touched a pedestrian crossing button? Put your hands on a bridge or stair rail? Then you are exposing yourself to possibly more pathogens doing that than walking barefoot. People go to the loo, don't wash their hands and then touch those items all the time. :sick:

I walk barefoot all the time in summer.

I finished a six month course of treatment for Tuberculosis last week, which involved taking the five strongest antibiotics known to man.

After my diagnosis, I became very careful about what I do and don't touch, even though TB is mostly transmitted by coughs and sneezes.

Since then I never touch doorknobs, rails etc directly.

I'm like Howard Hughes minus the Valium, and I care if anyone sees that as something odd.

Edited by Satu
I finished a six month course of treatment for Tuberculosis last week, which involved taking the five strongest antibiotics known to man.

After my diagnosis, I became very careful about what I do and don't touch, even though TB is mostly transmitted by coughs and sneezes.

Since then I never touch doorknobs, rails etc directly.

I'm like Howard Hughes minus the Valium, and I care if anyone sees that as something odd.

Wow, that's interesting. TB? You are the second person I've met to have contracted a disease most people think of as extinct in recent times. It's all very interesting actually. I'm a subscriber to the theory that you keep your immune system strong by keeping it busy. The widespread use of hand sanitisers seems to be synonymous with the widespread rise in interesting and stronger diseases.

Edited by Buddhist
  • Like 1
In the summer free feet feels amazing no matter what surface (I'm not at gravel stage but concrete and pavement is fine).

ETA: Where I live there is no debris on the streets, they get cleaned early each morning.

Gemma,

This from an old fart who is barefoot most of the time when not at work.

I'm from the desert Southwest where everything is hot and either pokes you, stings, or bites you.

My advice, get yourself a big can of "Bag Balm" and apply thoroughly at the end of the day.

Happy barefooting....

griff

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for the replies!

I had a quick look up for xero drop and Vibram's and both looked far too encasing for me which is what I want to avoid but they did lead me to discovering huarache sandals and I now have my eye on some which look pretty good for use on tougher walks.

I was out and about yesterday and decided to abandon my shoes for a bit, it felt so amazing! I put the shoes back on after about half a mile so as not to do too much and had to take them off again so did just over a mile in the end.

I looked up Bag Balm too - even though I live in a town (:laugh:) - there were some great reviews so I have a can on it's way to me!