Question Regarding Acne Medicine

Well I actually went to the dermatlogist today and she gave me some antibiotics. I am just a bit confused (plus, I am a scaredy cat) she gave me some antibiotics called Doxycycline that are only 100mg, they are samples, but in one week I have to go get my prescription which is Tetracycline and that is 500mg. Do you think she got confused? I cannot call her because her office is closed right now until Monday and I am soooo curious about it.

Also, do you know of any side effects from Tetracycline?

• Author

Anybody there?

Also, someone just told me that using antibiotics can actually be bad for acne, does anyone know if this is true?

I can totally understand your questions, i myself have been through different types of acne treatment.

When i was in my mid-teens i took anti-biotics for acne, it worked really well at first but after around a year my body grew resiliant to it and my acne returned. My doctor was also worried that i wouldnt be able to take anti-biotics for other infections/flus etc since my body developed a tollerance.

I was then put on the contraceptive pill..(i was still a virgn, not sexually active) and started seeing a dermatologist. She recommended the pill because i was getting desperate to get rid of the acne..and within 2 months my skin was perfect! unfortunately, after stopping this medication my acne returned, not as bad, but i could notice it. I didnt want to keep taking the pill..and i hope my skin would stay clear but it returned which sucked.

Im 22 now and still trying to find a way to get clearer skin! So hopefully the anti-biotics work for you, depending on the type you are prescribed.

• Author

So when you stopped using antibiotics the acne came back? You see that's what I don't want. I don't want to be on antibiotics for a long time. How long where you on them?

It's not really a good idea to ask other people about their experiences. Everybody's body is different and will react differently so whether or not they worked for one person doesn't mean the same thing will happen to you.

If you have questions about meds, you're best to call your pharmacist.

tetracycline's side effects are diarrehea, gas, cramping, abdominal pain, staining of the teeth, etc.

It's used for mild-moderate acne cases.

Accutane is actually known to be the best and most effective.

They probably gave you a cream too.

I have the same problem where acne comes on and off.

Use Proactiv...it works best, no joke! F*ck this other med sh*t, it will dry your skin out, give you the runs, and stain your teeth permanently.

Proactiv works wonders...it's worth the money, and I speak of experience.

• Author
Originally posted by katie79

tetracycline's side effects are diarrehea, gas, cramping, abdominal pain, staining of the teeth, etc.

It's used for mild-moderate acne cases.

Accutane is actually known to be the best and most effective.

They probably gave you a cream too.

I have the same problem where acne comes on and off.

Use Proactiv...it works best, no joke! F*ck this other med sh*t, it will dry your skin out, give you the runs, and stain your teeth permanently.

Proactiv works wonders...it's worth the money, and I speak of experience.

I actually used pro-activ a while back but this time around it did not work for me.

i went to my dermatologist to talk to him aboutmy skin. i dont really break out anymore its just the marks that i want to get rid of.

he gave me some samples of nicodyme or something like that and im going to have laser resurfacing done. i dont know the full details of the procedure but they gave me stuff to make my skin numb so when i go there im ready to go. then i think he puts this gel on my face and basically burns off the layers w/ the lazer. this will eventually lead to new, fresh skin. it will take a few days to heal but its worth it. the procedure costs about $600.... thats like my whole account lol but its worth it for me to behappy u know. i think some places also have finance plans. like you could put $100 down, and pay $100 a month till its payed off. no more makeup! im so excited. my appointment is for feb 4th so ill let u know how it goes

I have had acne ever since high school, I am 26 right now. I saw tons of dermatologist and was prescribed lots of topical stuff that never worked and usually made it worse. After I moved away at 21 I got fed up and tried Proactiv, it worked wonders for a couple months and then I built up a resistence to it. Didn't use anything for another 5 years, various over the counter stuff. Nothing worked. Got fed up again last year and went to another dermatologist again, this time he gave me something called Benze-Clin, another topical, but its 10% benzyl peroxide, 10% Clindamycin(anitbiotic). It has helped enormously, I thought I had some sort of skin infection it would get so bad. Turns out that its no infection but when I would get them subconsciously I would sit and pick at them, making them worse and I would be touching my face constantly due to stress. With the topical stuff and trying not to touch my face at all, it cleared up pretty good only an occasional break out. i also realized that I cannot use any over the counter soaps or toners on my face and have to be very careful of what and how much make up I use. I wash my face at night with just warm water and about once a week a wash rag and apply the cream at night. Just wash off in the morning. I am also on the pill but that only made it worse not better. That is just me though, might want to talk to your dermatologist about other options. I personally did not want to be on oral antibiotics because they cancel out my pill :)

• Author

Well thank God you told me that, my dermatologist gave me Benza-Clin and I started using it yesterday. I was a bit scared cause it says it may cause colitis ( :confused: ) but I have to take my chances, right?

• Author
Originally posted by NiCoLe20

no more makeup! im so excited. my appointment is for feb 4th so ill let u know how it goes

Please let me know how that goes.

I guess so. I think it works wonderful. I am supposed to use it 2x day but I only use it once a day because my skin is so sensitive. Never heard about the colitis thing, but I have been using it since March or April of last year and have never had any problems. I wish you luck this crap is a never ending battle.

• Author

Do you put your make-up on top of it? Sometimes I get scared that it's gloing to rub off if I put make up on top of it.

No because I wear it at night and wash it off in the morning. Then don't use any in the morning. I wear very light make up also. No foundation, just concealer(dark circle he--), powder, eye make up.

Hi,

I've also suffered with acne, and am still on medication for it (have been for bout 2 years now)

I'm on oxytetracycline, which sounds pretty similar, if not the same!!!

Its worked for me, altho u won't notice a difference for at least a month, and ive never suffered with ne side effects!!!

Good Luck, hope it works 4 ya!

• 3 weeks later...

I had some acne as a teenager and tried EVERY medication - tetracycline, acutane, etc. and none of it worked at all. You just have to drink plenty of water, wash your face with antibacterial soap, exercise, eat right and wait a few years until your hormones balance out...

Ive just recently starting using proactiv actually, you know, the three-step infomercial stuff :)

It actually works! It's amazing, i've never found a topical solution or any type of face wash system that has worked for me before.

• 2 weeks later...

when i was younger the dermatoligist gave me tetracycline& Doxycycline,then early 20s gave i up for a minute tryd the pro active it didn't work ,about 4 years ago i did acutane it worked well for me ,and there are some birth control pills that help too.

don't give up keep trying til you find a medication that works!!good luck

After trying everything I just did my own thing and my skin has never been better. Not one pimple expect maybe for when that time of the month comes.

I used pro-active as well but for some reason I felt my skin really dry and I still had some pimples. So now what I do is I was my face everymorning and every night with Antibacterial Soap. At night after washing my make up with the antibacterial soap ( it does not dry my skin and I put on lotion afterwards) I put on the Pro-activ toner let that dry and then the repairing lotion.

In the morning I wash with soap then put the toner then repairing lotion. Then I bought neutrogena concealer with acne make-up in it and I put that on. Then Mac bronzer for that natural tan look then mascara and some lip gloss.

I also try to use the pro-activ mask once a month. Or once every two weeks during that time of the month because my skin gets really oily.

I try not to wear too much makeup during the week and no make-up on the weekends unless I am going out.

This routine has really worked for me I have not had a huge breakout in months. When before I would always break out in the same places. Right on my cheeks or my chin. Or right between my eyebrows. Ugh I hated that.

• Author

Doxycycline had a lot of side effects on me, it was the worst!!!!! Now I am taking Tetracycline and its working beautifully, my skin is almost back to normal. I just hope that it's not a temporary thing. I do wash my face EVERY night now!!!!!! I learned my lesson.

i have had acne for 3 years now and the other day my acne just stopped! i found a cleanser called "clinique clarifying lotion" its a pink liquid in a bottle. i use this twice a day morning and night after a shower, then i use panoxyl (benzoyl peroxide) aswel. however my skin got reali dry so i also use OIL FREE moisturiser! i also change my pillow case every 2 or 3 nights, which also helps. i take vitamins in the morning and eat 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day. i cant believe how much they cleared up!! im soo much happier atm! try it, uve got nowt to lose! please post how ur getting on, id love to know if this works for others too! cheers xxx