Some years ago I made radical changes to my diet and lifestyle. Along the way I discovered the benefits of Metamucil. I started taking it to help regulate my blood sugar, which is one benefit in addition to helping reduce cholesterol. But now I see it as a basic requirement for a healthy diet. As for the natural laxative aspects of it, what comes out of you will scare you! :laugh: Seriously! It is hard to get enough fiber but when you do, look out!

I'm a huge fan of this product now, have been for years, and highly recommend it for everyone. I try to take two doses day. You may well notice that you feel better the first day you start taking it.

PS. Start with one dose a day until you get used to it! :laugh:

Edited by Robert Z
  • Author
  • Author

The only reason people need this stuff is because their diet was bad to begin with.

I can't see me ever needing to supplement my diet long-term, with something that is meant to be a temporary measure.

I honestly believe that in a few years' time, you may see the kind of side effects you really hadn't banked on. And they won't be beneficial....

Have you consulted a qualified dietician?

Have you been recommended by dietary expert that it's perfectly ok to take this stuff in the way you do?

• Like 3

If you're taking it for supplements that help with your diabetes, that's good.

If it causes your body to forget how to process foods naturally I'd be concerned that you would become dependent on it to process foods the way nature intended.

• Like 1

Try Prune juice, high in fiber and does the job for regularity. Not being rude here....taken daily...it regulates ...and does so naturally. A Gastro Intestinal Doctor can best tell you the truth about metamucill....I already got my lecture on it.

Our bodies get enough processed chemicals....

Bravo on the dietary changes.

• Like 2

I didn't read all of the articles... referring specifically to the second article it states that M absorbs water in the intestines.

When I used it (I used psyllium husk from the health food store), it was a part of a colon cleansing process that saved my life and set the stage for the rest of my life to be 'problem free' in that area. I mixed it in water, lots of water as the idea was for the psyllium to absorb the water (typically in the glass before drinking it- it turns into a gel-like substance) prior to drinking it as it only takes seconds... I mastered (lol) drinking it before it completely absorbed all of the water and most likely absorbed the rest in the stomach ... anyway, the idea was for it to take water into the intestines to loosen up any impacted matter. It really did save my life.