Dieting in College: Tips Needed

I'm in college so I don't exactly have the best diet and it gets hard to find time to go to the gym. I try to take the stairs whenever possible and go to the gym when I find time but I just can't seem to get in gear and lose these lbs. I'd really like to drop about 20 lbs for the summer. What are some easy things to do in the course of everyday to help lose weight?

I was also wondering what some of the better natural stimulants were for losing weight (ie:green tea). I've tried carrying the meal bars or slimfast with me but they never fill me up and I usually end up just eating more. I try to always carry a big bottle of water w/lemon to my classes to fight the munchies but I'm addicted to sweets... is there anything out there that fights those cravings? ...I feel like I've tried almost everything but I just can't lose the pounds with my erratic schedule.

Thanks,

Tex

but I'm addicted to sweets... is there anything out there that fights those cravings?

fruit. I guarantee, snack on fresh fruit for the better part of the week, and sweets will start tasting *too* sweet and kind of stale because your taste buds have grown accustomed to that fresh fruit.

also if you follow the food pyramid and focus on trying to meet your five daily vegetable above all else, believe me, you'll fill up fast. Another trick is to choose the snacks that keep your tummy filled/feeling full longer. Candy bars are bad because they're "fast" sugar, they go through your system pretty quickly and you're hungry not long after you eat them. But make a snack of an apple (or graham crackers) with peanut butter, the peanut butter will take longer to digest because it's a protein and the apple/cracker fulfill your sweet craving.

imbibing water throughout the day is the best habit you can get into because it keeps you hydrated. I've never found it to "fill" my stomach to keep me from being hungry, but it does well otherwise!

Cut back on sugar. I did it. I used crave sugar all the time! About 3 months ago, I decided to cut a lot of sugar out of my diet. I switched from regular soda to diet soda, and I only drink water besides that. I try to walk/jog at least three times a week (though when its raining like crazy outside it makes it more difficult). Stop eating fast food, or limit yourself to a meal or two a week. Don't eat at least three hours before you sleep. I know as a college student thats difficult, but it'll help.

Ya know that "freshman 15" you are suppose to gain your first year? Well, mine was the opposite, I lost 15 lbs in a few months. I didn't eat well, or much for that matter. My diet consisted of beer, and lots of it, lol. I wouldn't recommened that though, just brought back memories of college.

Seiously though, cut out on sugar and eat more whole grains, fruits, and veggies, and low fat meats, poultry, fish, ect. Take walks when you have the time.

You don't necessarily have to go to the gym, although going helps establish a routine. 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, even walking, three times a week would only take 90 minutes a week. It will be really difficult to lose the amount of weight you want to lose without this, without making major changes to your diet. You used the term "addiction" to sweets and that may be accurate. As with any addiction, it takes a good week or two without catering to the habit before you are in more control and have less cravings (withdrawal). Green tea may help, especially if it is replacing sodas, but there is no magic pill or food that will get you where you want to be safely. Also, if you need fast food, try hitting subway or quiznos.

And most fast food joints offer salads or a grilled chicken sandwich. I don't like salads as a meal, but I am ok with a gc sandwich. Order that with unsweetened iced tea or water. This isn't always perfectly healthy, since they may still use some form of fat to prepare it, but it is going to be much better than a burger with fries. Let your friends know you are trying to eat healthier, if you think you may get strange looks if you order that, and they may actually try to help you out with keeping you to your diet.

Here's a link with the nutritional info of a lot of restaurants, including fast food joints like Burger King, Mcdonalds, Jack in the Box, Whataburger, Taco Bell, etc.

http://www.dottisweightlosszone.com/Restaurants/1allrestaurants.html

I am a busy person too, I mean really busy. I worked two jobs and took care of my house while going to the gym and weight watchers. You have to find the time, even if it is just taking the steps. I found that eating several small meals and snacks through out the day kept my hunger at bay. Make sure you take things like string cheese or lunchmeat a piece of fruit, etc... You will need to balance the amount of protein to your sugar intake. Oh and watch the movie "Supersize Me", you'll never eat fast food again and you won't miss it either :)