active day in lieu of exercise

just curious. today is Saturday and i have an active day planned. can an active day take the place of your regular exercise routine? or it is the increased heart rate through exercise that makes the difference?

What do you mean by "active day"?

If your heart rate is elevated to the fat burn zone for a total of 30 minutes throughout the day, I'd say yes. But just being busy? No.

• Author
What do you mean by "active day"?

If your heart rate is elevated to the fat burn zone for a total of 30 minutes throughout the day, I'd say yes. But just being busy? No.

i was asking about the "just being busy" part b/c i figured being out/about also burns calories

i was asking about the "just being busy" part b/c i figured being out/about also burns calories

So does breathing. :)

You need to get your heart rate up for it to count, I think.

• Like 1

I work everyday in a very physical environment, meaning I use my body to perform work tasks, like lifting, leveraging, digging, etc. While often strenuous, it's not sufficiently aerobic to markedly affect my state of fitness or weight. In order to do that, I need targeted exercise like hiking (heh, not on a sidewalk!), cycling or swimming.

While an active day might, overall, be healthier than a sedentary day, IMO it doesn't replace targeted exercise regimes.

• Like 1