i don't know if this is done in every city, but they are having one here (a stair climb) in about 2 months. so, all these people at work signed up and think they are doing a huge thing by climbing stairs one day during the entire year. a co-worker approached me and asked if i was going to participate. i laughed at her, and was like "no, you know i exercise every day of the year, so i think i'll take that day off while you guys try it." ok, kinda snide, but seriously? one day and they think they're accomplishing big feats of fitness. geesh... fitness isn't a one-day event or a one time run. why even bother?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed rude derogatory remark
GorillaTheater
Hey you know, it could be the kick-start they need to get going and make it a life long thing.

That's what I'm thinking. Every little bit helps.

I used to do that competively in Houston. Nothing like 70 floors to get your heart rate up.

• Like 1

Aren't these things also to raise money/awareness for a cause? I've seen them for 9/11, for the AMA, and others.

Hey you know, it could be the kick-start they need to get going and make it a life long thing.

This. So why discourage it?

I workout every day and wouldn't be scoffing at someone asking if I'm going to do the annual 5k run for (insert charity). To them, it's a big deal and something they're looking forward to doing.

• Author
Aren't these things also to raise money/awareness for a cause? I've seen them for 9/11, for the AMA, and others.

This. So why discourage it?

I workout every day and wouldn't be scoffing at someone asking if I'm going to do the annual 5k run for (insert charity). To them, it's a big deal and something they're looking forward to doing.

they never mentioned charity, but it could be for that, it makes sense. it is just incredibly lame (to me) to look forward to one day of exercising. if they need to get going on a fitness regime why wait for 2 more months and look forward to that one day?! it makes no sense to me to be excited about working out 2 months from now for 1 hour.

fitnessfan365

Haha.. I found this topic funny.

You should be encouraging them to do 30-45 minutes of stairs 2-3x a week on a regular basis. There's a nasty set of stairs near my place that has 250 steps over 15 LONG flights. Going up and down that repeatedly is BRUTAL. Stairs are definitely one of my favorite forms of conditioning though.