AnotherSadSong

I am health conscious and have an excellent training program. I have had depression, hopefully momentary, and have not worked out for a week. If I jump back in tomorrow, I should be okay and gain back the strength and top physique? I thought I knew, the answer but many articles expressed different facts about stopping for even a few days.

Some articles said you lose a lot of what you gained in a week. Is this true? Others say you do not.

JJCaliGirl

From experience, having time off helps. You should be able to get back into the swing of it within a few days. You may be a little sore, but I always find that to be a good thing! :)

• Like 1
loveweary11

Depends entirely on your fitness program and goals.

Days off are actually quite helpful as the rest can help you push past limits.

• Like 1

often when i go on vacation, of about 7-10 days i cannot exercise like i can at home because the equipment and environment is not the same. so, i end up not doing too much at all on vacations. i read up on things before, like whether stopping exercise for X amount of time impacts you, and most articles indicated that no more than 2 complete weeks off. breaks are good.

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't really a set answer to your question. Yes, taking off periods from the gym or from exercising is good. A few days, up to a week is optimal. If you're a hard core lifter, a week is sometimes suggested regularly. If you do it just to be fit, typically a few days a week doesn't negate any gains. On your return, it's typically best to ease back into it; going 75% if you've been off the iron for a little while. You have nothing to worry about, you will quickly regain your strength within a couple of weeks. It comes faster back if you once had it, than if you never had it at all.

Whatever you may have lost will come back right away. Maybe the first few times will suck, but you'll bounce right back to where you were.

I take a week off every 3 months.

You won't have lost anything in a week, I find that after my week off I can do even harder than I did before!