How much rest is too much?

fitnessfan365

When you strength train, you're actually causing micro-tears in your muscle fibers. So you actually get stronger and see gains when you're resting. That's why you never want to work the same muscle groups two days in a row, and you want a bare minimum of one complete rest day per week. I actually have clients take 2-3 rest days off per week because we do very intense full body workouts and athletic conditioning.

Also, after every 2-3 months, taking an entire recovery week is a GREAT idea. This is where you cut back to 2-3 low intensity workouts during the week and have complete rest days on the other 4-5 days. Low intensity means things like walks, hiking, slow paced free style swimming, etc.. Just avoiding lifting and high intensity exercise. Also, make sure to get in a lot of stretching and keep your nutrition tight during the week. Taking a week like this every 2-3 months not only lets your body recharge physically, but you also recharge mentally with your focus and drive going way back up again. Helps to avoid burn out.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 4

I take at least 2 rest days a week and a complete week off every 3 months.

I always find after that week off, I feel so much fitter!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A typical week for me sees 4 lifting days, 1 cardio day and 2 rest days or 3 lifting days, 2 cardio days and 2 rest days when cutting.

Unless of course I get itchy on a rest day and end up reaching for the dumbbells in the living room.......

• Like 1

The most I could see you resting is a week. Between those days do some stretches. Rest is critically important and underrated. Resting som days or a week can givd your body chance to form and you'll go into your next workout stronger than ever. It's also a mental test: can you go these days without freaking out?

As long as you eat right, your body should not go through a major change with a few days of rest. If you're doing strenuous exercises, and I mean going very hard, I'd recommend a week worth of rest after the first month. Do some light stretches and balance strengthening instead.

• Like 1

I'd say a few weeks. However, the longer you rest, the harder it is to get back into your routine and motivated! Trust me, I'm there right now and wish I never took a break!