Should I cancel my gym membership?

I have a gym membership ship and I go 4 to 5 times a week. However , I have been using work out dvds since I don't go as often in winter time. I love running outside in summer time but its not an option in winter time.

I felln in love using work out dvds .I find it more fun and convinient.I now find going on tradmil boring than before. So I have been contemplanting cancelling my gym membership and just stick to work out dvs .Also running outside in summer time.

The thing is, I am afraid that I am going to start slacking off if I get rid of my membership card.Just want some insight?

I find, the most important key factor when working out is that you are doing something you enjoy. When you enjoy doing it, you are much more likely to stick to it. So if going to the gym is boring to you, there wouldn't really be any reason to keep it, unless you have some super low membership rate.

Plus, any gym would be more than happy to sign you back up and take your money :laugh:

• Like 1
I love running outside in summer time but its not an option in winter time.

Unless the terrain near you is literally impassable or you live in an extremely cold region, then this is just a "comfort" excuse. I know it's not as pleasant to run during winter as opposed to summer, but you still can run during winter and many do.

People prioritize different things naturally and I'm not trying to force you outside but with that said, you should indeed do whatever is most convenient for you as long as it provides the results you desire. If you should feel like taking up gym again, you could do.

• Author
Two questions.

Is there a big penalty for canceling your membership and is there a big sign up fee if you ever sign up again?

No there isn't if I cancel but I have to pay to resign it and do the papers all over again. I could put it on hold and I would only pay 5 bucks a month if I put my membership on hold

• Like 1
SincereOnlineGuy
Should I cancel my gym membership?

Hold on,

Let me consult the Spongebob Magic 8 Ball:

It says:

"Don't Give Up"

• Like 4
thefooloftheyear

Gyms are about the best deal in the world these days...Its so cheap I have two memberships. one near work and one near home...

I dont know how much your place cost, but here in the most expensive place to live you can find, the gym cost me 300/yr...Thats less than a dollar a day..Cup of coffee cost more...And there are places that are even cheaper, but too many morons over there..:laugh:

My feeling is that even if you enjoy working out at home, keep it for a change of pace...

Just my .02

TFY

• Like 2

I would. You'll save on gas and your monthly gym membership fee could go towards savings for a trip or something fun. If you love DVD workouts, stick with those.

You can always drive to the nearby mall and lap the lower or upper levels a few miles a day, and if you get bored, take a shopping / coffee / snack break there or go see a movie. Good use for a mall, finally. Right? Much cheaper than a gym membership.

• Like 1
No there isn't if I cancel but I have to pay to resign it and do the papers all over again. I could put it on hold and I would only pay 5 bucks a month if I put my membership on hold

ok so put your membership on hold for 2-3 months. If you find you are slacking off, reinstate it. If your video thing is working, cancel it.

• Like 1
HazyCosmicJive
Unless the terrain near you is literally impassable or you live in an extremely cold region, then this is just a "comfort" excuse. I know it's not as pleasant to run during winter as opposed to summer, but you still can run during winter and many do.

People prioritize different things naturally and I'm not trying to force you outside but with that said, you should indeed do whatever is most convenient for you as long as it provides the results you desire. If you should feel like taking up gym again, you could do.

Maybe she has my problem. For some reason I get a strange reaction when I run in the cold. I get itchy all over and it becomes uncomfortable to the point that I have to stop running. I think it has something to do with being too cold when I start sweating, if that makes sense. I ski and hike in the winter and don't have this problem, it's only when I run.

• Like 1
HazyCosmicJive
I have a gym membership ship and I go 4 to 5 times a week. However , I have been using work out dvds since I don't go as often in winter time. I love running outside in summer time but its not an option in winter time.

I felln in love using work out dvds .I find it more fun and convinient.I now find going on tradmil boring than before. So I have been contemplanting cancelling my gym membership and just stick to work out dvs .Also running outside in summer time.

The thing is, I am afraid that I am going to start slacking off if I get rid of my membership card.Just want some insight?

If you think you don't need any of the equipment at the gym, then you should definitely cancel your membership. I keep mine because there are certain exercises that are either easier or only possible at the gym. I also work out at home and the park. I never used to stay focused enough to work out at home until I started using some DVDs. They kept me focused and now I can stay focused at home without even using them. If you find that you can't stay focused working out at home it may be better to keep the gym membership.

• Like 1