Various allergies

Just wondering who on here has food allergies. Not talking severe types that land you in the ER, but more like food sensitivities, mild allergies.

I've noticed wheat has affected me. Maybe gluten too, not sure on that quite yet but for sure wheat makes my body hurt. I ache and get weird pains in my legs right to my feet.

Gonna do the elimination test again and make sure that it is wheat I'm reacting to.

Just had a full physical, my blood work is fine though I do another ovarian cyst (not related to the body aches) that's formed so that kind of sucks.

If you have a wheat allergy, what are your symptoms?

• Like 2

I am allergic to apples, pears, kiwis & strawberries. When I was younger my lips & tongue would tingle when I ate them. Now my throat can close up. I still love them & occasionally have small bites but I keep Benadryl handy.

As I type this I'm very annoyed because I seem to be allergic to our Christmas tree. DH & I put it up Sunday & I felt my hands itch. I washed my hands immediately & seemed to fine. Got home from work yesterday & reached under to water the tree. My hand immediatly developed small hives, which I managed to transfer to my other hand. Even though I washed, my hands still itch like crazy this morning.

DH didn't want a real tree & is already bitching about the fact that he's charged with watering it & he's going to have to do the lion's share of the work taking it down. I did put a box of rubber gloves in the living room to try to protect myself.

genuinelyloverly7

My sympathies OP! I have self diagnosed by elimination over a 10 year process (I guess it could be other stuff in the products, but if so, what's the difference? I still can't eat it) that I have sensitivities to wheat/gluten, corn, soy, dairy, and eggs. The wheat/gluten gives me skin issues, as does the dairy. I get itchy, red, my psoriasis goes haywire (flaky, itchy, blotchy…). I also get gas/bloating and other unpleasant digestive side effects from all of the foods I am sensitive to. I get tired/lethargic, fuzzy head, and swing from grumpy to emotionless, with joy being a rare occurrence.

I do notice it gets easier to digest whole, unprocessed versions of stuff when my digestive system is more on track, after abstaining for a while, and eating probiotic foods like kombucha (no yogurt for me). Like corn and even small amounts of bread, rice and beans and quinoa (I LOVE quinoa!!!). And this is truly the best way to find out if it is actually that one thing. The elimination diet, as you mentioned.

I went through all the alternative foods- but with so many sensitivities, there was almost NO packaged products that I could actually eat. So I went 90% raw vegan (I still ate some meat…) Because I couldn't eat anything but fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, and meats, I decided I didn't want to give up meat too. It felt like I was giving everything else, because I was being forced to, so I was going to keep what I could of my former eating habits.

But now my ethical beliefs are coming around to understand that eating animals that are treated inhumanely means I am just as responsible for that suffering as the one who treats them so horribly. So I am cutting out meat too. I may at some point eat some sustainable, humanely treated meat, but that isn't necessarily on my list of to-do right now.

Over the years I have learned to notice how quickly ciggies give me a migraine, or perfume/cologne. How radically better I feel when I am eating a majority of greens and healthy-fat foods.

I am also sensitive to chemicals and especially chlorine. So no public water fun for me, and even my shower makes my palms itch when I stay in too long. I am working on getting a whole house water filter for that, but it is expensive!

Also, about the aches and pains. Gluten does that, but so does blood sugar stuff. Since you mentioned an ovarian cyst I want to mention that it could be related to the blood sugar stuff. I have PCOS, and that is all hormonal. Insulin is a hormone. So blood sugar irregularities throws off your hormonal balance. My PCOS is completely regulated (and thrown out of whack) by my diet. And I also get quite bad muscle pains when I am eating too much sugar and refined carbs. This has something to do with how your muscle cells uptake and use glycogen (the last in a series of chemicals produces after eating food to create energy) and how that is messed up when you have hormone issues.

• Like 1
  • Author

All my blood work was fine, no thyroid or any low blood sugar problems, no hormone issues either.

:o Kind of embarrassed here, it's very possible my ache pains and tingles in my legs are from the mattress and the position I sleep in. Time will tell!

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Well, I still don't know what is going on. For a week or so I can be totally fine then for 3 days get those leg aches, it's like my blood inside is itchy too. Very odd feeling.

Recently I was diagnosed with a dermoid cyst, so eventually that sucker will have to come out by surgery (THAT terrifies me). Wonder if it's possible this d cyst is causing the weird symptoms? Anybody have one of those cysts?

regine_phalange
Well, I still don't know what is going on. For a week or so I can be totally fine then for 3 days get those leg aches, it's like my blood inside is itchy too. Very odd feeling.

Could it be bad circulation?

I have problems when I eat cabbage, bran, commercial soy milk, commercial almond milk. I don't have problems with homemade almond milk though. Garlic also makes me lightheaded. My brother has the same problem, must be something in our genes.

i have a major allergic reaction to maltitol. it's a sugar alcohol. so i have to carefully read labels and cannot have anything labeled low-fat or with a sugar substitute. i have to eat real white sugar! not a bad thing!