HIIT and strength training (female)

Would like to know if anyone is doing the above combination to lose weight?

workout 4-5X a week.

I have been at this for about 6mths, definitely built muscles/ higher metabolic rate/ weight increase (due to muscle mass) however clothes did not drop a size.

My arms bulked up. It looked bigger than before. which is the exact opposite I was working out for. Ladies with the same experience? What to do next?

Need more details on what you were doing exactly. I don't think you get big from doing HIIT, in fact it tends to make you leaner. What was your strength training made of? Did you change your diet?

6 months isn't long.

• Author
Need more details on what you were doing exactly. I don't think you get big from doing HIIT, in fact it tends to make you leaner. What was your strength training made of? Did you change your diet?

6 months isn't long.

Follow Bodyrock tv videos (which includes cardio and weights). Some days I do HIIT on treadmill- 10 rounds of 1min sprint, rest etc, finish off with squats/ dips/ push ups.

I thought so too. It appears that the biceps get quite toned and defined. My triceps fats didn't reduce. So overall, the arms look bigger.

Diet, no change however I don't binge and try to take less carbo.

deathandtaxes
Follow Bodyrock tv videos (which includes cardio and weights). Some days I do HIIT on treadmill- 10 rounds of 1min sprint, rest etc, finish off with squats/ dips/ push ups.

I thought so too. It appears that the biceps get quite toned and defined. My triceps fats didn't reduce. So overall, the arms look bigger.

Diet, no change however I don't binge and try to take less carbo.

Tricep fat may be one of those pesky areas YOUR body wants to keep fat on. Do you vary your diet? Change it up so your body isn't used to the same ol calories and whatnot every day? Are you eating enough?

• Author

highly possible that my arms are the most pesky...

I have worked my butt out on exercises. The only problem could be carbo? Switching my breakfast options to non-bread.

All the talks about women lifting weights and not bulking up, are nonsense. When I started, I engaged a personal trainer. He told me I am not getting bigger when I realized I could be heading in that direction. Well, I continued. Now it is absolutely obvious that I am bigger on the arms, by my own sight/ other people's comments. Disheartening! Lost on how to reduce the muscles on my biceps. Another problem on top of the fatty triceps. It looks worse :mad:

Priv: You are right. About 1 size or 1/2 size away from optimal. 3kgs more from ideal weight (when I started), though I am much heavier due to muscle mass currently.

You have no control over where the fat comes off. IOW arm exercises do not burn arm fat.

If you gained muscle and weigh the same then it means you did lose fat. I'm guessing not much since you didn't lose waist size. Only way to know what's going on is if you took body fat % before and after.

Most likely you need to dial in your diet. Your exercise routine sounds adequate.

PS. Guys think some muscles are sexy! Way more so than fat.

If even while doing HIIT you have bulked up, it is likely due to too many calories being consumed.

Since muscle is built from consuming more calories than you burn, it makes sense. It's just likely that you've still consumed a little more than what your HIIT is burning off.

Do you have any body fat measurements? You gained muscle but was there a noticeable difference in fat levels?

• Like 1
  • Author

I did have body fat measurements done at a clinic, will only be able to re-measure and compare next month.

You guys/ ladies are probably right. My train of thoughts are left with simply diet. It will be a challenge on further reducing my food intake, like I don't think I eat a lot. I will try changing the type of food I eat, substituting carbo with veg/ protein.

I did have body fat measurements done at a clinic, will only be able to re-measure and compare next month.

You guys/ ladies are probably right. My train of thoughts are left with simply diet. It will be a challenge on further reducing my food intake, like I don't think I eat a lot. I will try changing the type of food I eat, substituting carbo with veg/ protein.

I switched away from upper body training because basically I trained with guys and they tend to have bigger upper body as boxers and as I was slight build when I started strength training, gain on my upper body was more noticeable. At least I think so.

As I switched to lifts that focus on the lower body, I looked more balanced and my upper body looked smaller in comparison if that makes sense.

I have increased protein in my diet signifcantly at the expense of carbs yes but it is imperative that you eat enough! Otherwise you will waste your muscles and your body fat will remain.

However, maybe you need to build your lower body rather than focus on your arms in isolation? Build - I think - is relative. A balanced body looks good and if everything is in proportion, you get away with a lot. Only when you are skewed too much in one direction that smaller differences can look significant.

• Author
I switched away from upper body training because basically I trained with guys and they tend to have bigger upper body as boxers and as I was slight build when I started strength training, gain on my upper body was more noticeable. At least I think so.

As I switched to lifts that focus on the lower body, I looked more balanced and my upper body looked smaller in comparison if that makes sense.

I have increased protein in my diet signifcantly at the expense of carbs yes but it is imperative that you eat enough! Otherwise you will waste your muscles and your body fat will remain.

However, maybe you need to build your lower body rather than focus on your arms in isolation? Build - I think - is relative. A balanced body looks good and if everything is in proportion, you get away with a lot. Only when you are skewed too much in one direction that smaller differences can look significant.

Thanks Emilia. How does your typical meals look like? Experimenting to count my calories. I realized the salad bowl I made for breakfast cost me near to 600 calories?! How can I hit a calorie deficit in this way?

I am moving away my strength exercise from upper body.

Thanks Emilia. How does your typical meals look like? Experimenting to count my calories. I realized the salad bowl I made for breakfast cost me near to 600 calories?! How can I hit a calorie deficit in this way?

I am moving away my strength exercise from upper body.

Lots of carbs and protein. On lifting days (plus the day before and the day after) I drink protein shakes in the morning and in the evening as well as have breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat lots of chicken and rice (prepared in many different ways), a good steak, my pasta sauce special with lots of minced beef, etc. Have to say salad is not my forte :laugh:. Love a good burger and chips but not often. Love Asian food, Indian, Sri Lankan, Vietnamese, Japanese. I drink my protein shakes with milk for nice strong bones.

It's really hard to give advice without seeing you but I very much doubt calorie deficit is a good idea. Probably moving from carbs more towards protein would be. Not deficit though, I don't think that would help your body composure. I think being patient for 3 months at least and balancing out your training would benefit you the most.

• Author
Lots of carbs and protein. On lifting days (plus the day before and the day after) I drink protein shakes in the morning and in the evening as well as have breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat lots of chicken and rice (prepared in many different ways), a good steak, my pasta sauce special with lots of minced beef, etc. Have to say salad is not my forte :laugh:. Love a good burger and chips but not often. Love Asian food, Indian, Sri Lankan, Vietnamese, Japanese. I drink my protein shakes with milk for nice strong bones.

It's really hard to give advice without seeing you but I very much doubt calorie deficit is a good idea. Probably moving from carbs more towards protein would be. Not deficit though, I don't think that would help your body composure. I think being patient for 3 months at least and balancing out your training would benefit you the most.

Like you mentioned, I am swinging from carbs to protein. Although I can't tell you how much I love my bread!!! Especially for mornings.

Another 3 months, yup. It is just quite frustrating to train so hard for months and see the outcome I didn't want.

Like you mentioned, I am swinging from carbs to protein. Although I can't tell you how much I love my bread!!! Especially for mornings.

Another 3 months, yup. It is just quite frustrating to train so hard for months and see the outcome I didn't want.

We all have to learn what works for our bodies and we do this by developing imbalances. You wouldn't know otherwise. Most women need upper body strength as it's the weakness of our sex and once you've corrected this, you will be fine. 3 months is nothing. You will be doing things for years and years and will have to deal with obstacles. It's how it is.

• Author
We all have to learn what works for our bodies and we do this by developing imbalances. You wouldn't know otherwise. Most women need upper body strength as it's the weakness of our sex and once you've corrected this, you will be fine. 3 months is nothing. You will be doing things for years and years and will have to deal with obstacles. It's how it is.

I have muscles on my biceps. Strength alright!

You are right. Maybe this routine I had followed would have helped another lady become leaner/ lose weight. It doesn't mean the same for me.

3 months here I come :laugh:

• Like 2
seekingpeaceinlove

I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from, May! I started weight training about 8 months ago and all the advice I received told me that as a female I would not bulk up...well even though I was losing weight my thighs were getting bulkier and I wasn't even lifting real heavy! My jeans were looser around my waist but tighter around my thighs.

So, now I'm changing up my routine completely. Lower weights, higher reps and more cardio to lean out!

I have muscles on my biceps. Strength alright!

You are right. Maybe this routine I had followed would have helped another lady become leaner/ lose weight. It doesn't mean the same for me.

3 months here I come :laugh:

• Author
I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from, May! I started weight training about 8 months ago and all the advice I received told me that as a female I would not bulk up...well even though I was losing weight my thighs were getting bulkier and I wasn't even lifting real heavy! My jeans were looser around my waist but tighter around my thighs.

So, now I'm changing up my routine completely. Lower weights, higher reps and more cardio to lean out!

It is SOOOOoooo irritating, isn't it? I was trying to fit into my old jeans but realized I still can't and now I have bulky muscular arms to top it off :lmao::lmao::lmao: What is your cardio like and how heavy are you lifting now? I have been getting comments on my broader/ bulkier arms *extreme sadness*

That's because the weight wasn't heavy enough! You have to understand how percentages of your 1 rep max work to see what they do to your body. It's likely that you were lifting the weight that was growing your muscles at a maximum. Cardio and low weights will not make you lean out, especially if you don't eat properly, it will make you lose muscle and leave your body fat % untouched!

T Nation | From 0 to 100: Know Your Percentages!

• Author

Emilia: how heavy are you lifting? I bought two 4kg dumb bells, so I use them while I follow home workout videos. For chest press etc.

Emilia: how heavy are you lifting? I bought two 4kg dumb bells, so I use them while I follow home workout videos. For chest press etc.

My current 1RM in deadlifts is 95kgs so my 3/2/1 programme takes me between 70 and 85% of that. My support exercise is 5 x 10 reps of 60% (currently 52.5kgs) of my 1RM.

I'm UK size 10, 62kgs (about 135lbs) and 5'6'' (168cms). Target is lifting 125kgs (2 x my body weight). Not sure what my body fat % as I never measure it... probably around 25%? Could be down to 22% but I think some fat is more feminine.

Used to bench 42.5kgs when I used to do all four lifts (bench, shoulder, squat, deads) and wasn't any bigger than now. When I used to go to a weightlifters' gym and train pretty hard, I was about 1 kgs heavier than I am now and slightly smaller. I do more hypertrophy work, especially on my glutes and hamstrings, than in the past.

Edited by Emilia
  • Like 1
  • Author
My current 1RM in deadlifts is 95kgs so my 3/2/1 programme takes me between 70 and 85% of that. My support exercise is 5 x 10 reps of 60% (currently 52.5kgs) of my 1RM.

I'm UK size 10, 62kgs (about 135lbs) and 5'6'' (168cms). Target is lifting 125kgs (2 x my body weight). Not sure what my body fat % as I never measure it... probably around 25%? Could be down to 22% but I think some fat is more feminine.

Used to bench 42.5kgs when I used to do all four lifts (bench, shoulder, squat, deads) and wasn't any bigger than now. When I used to go to a weightlifters' gym and train pretty hard, I was about 1 kgs heavier than I am now and slightly smaller. I do more hypertrophy work, especially on my glutes and hamstrings, than in the past.

Wow Emilia is some strong lady! If ever I am going to lift so heavy, I would have to find a trustable trainer. I basically just do home videos/ gym (treadmill/ some weights). My body fats according to the weighing machine in the gym is 22%. Calipers will be more accurate. UK size 8-10. I aim to go back to UK size 8.

Wow Emilia is some strong lady! If ever I am going to lift so heavy, I would have to find a trustable trainer. I basically just do home videos/ gym (treadmill/ some weights). My body fats according to the weighing machine in the gym is 22%. Calipers will be more accurate. UK size 8-10. I aim to go back to UK size 8.

Ah then I should bow out of this thread because I think you are/will be too skinny. I still forget that so many women are obsessed with this because I'm surrounded by people that aren't.

• Like 1
  • Author
Ah then I should bow out of this thread because I think you are/will be too skinny. I still forget that so many women are obsessed with this because I'm surrounded by people that aren't.

I 'liked' your post, but I have to disagree- I am not stick thin and am not obsessed like the young girls. Overall I can be at peace with my fats. Only can't stand my arms. Just measured my arms. Top biggest is 32cm (bicep muscle/fat bulge).

seekingpeaceinlove

Damn, I never studied the science behind lifting and understanding my %! I really need a trainer...

That's because the weight wasn't heavy enough! You have to understand how percentages of your 1 rep max work to see what they do to your body. It's likely that you were lifting the weight that was growing your muscles at a maximum. Cardio and low weights will not make you lean out, especially if you don't eat properly, it will make you lose muscle and leave your body fat % untouched!

T Nation | From 0 to 100: Know Your Percentages!