Any tips on how to stop binge eating?

The reason I over eat, I think, is that after eating a meal I still feel hungry. I eat fairly balanced meals throughout the day but I still feel hungry afterwards. I may eat "healthy" meals but the things I go for after are always horrible. My family have no interest in being healthy so they always have chips and other crap food around the house, and of course because it's there, that's what I grab, and I seem to have no will power to only eat a few.

So, has anyone overcome binge eating? How did you do it, is it just a matter of will power?

I used to at times. What sort of worked for me was actually talking to myself and literally stepping back and analyzing my food intake and internalize the fact that whatever I just ate, at that particular sitting was more than sufficient for any human being. Then I started intermittent fasting and on the days when I ate I would literally eat the entire fridge. You need to find a balance, and it's essentially all in the mind. I used to think of the many pounds I would gain if let's say I went for the extra slice of pizza, Chinese food, burgers, what have you. Anxiety revolves around this, keep calm and try to control it the best you can.

• Like 3

Sometimes people binge eat to fill a void inside themselves. It's called emotional eating. Check it out.

Keep a food journal for a week to gain some awareness on how much you actually consume and jot down how you're feeling at the time.

Know yourself by becoming more aware of how food relates to your life.

People should eat to live...not the other way around...

• Like 1
  • Author
Sometimes people binge eat to fill a void inside themselves. It's called emotional eating. Check it out.

Keep a food journal for a week to gain some awareness on how much you actually consume and jot down how you're feeling at the time.

Know yourself by becoming more aware of how food relates to your life.

I don't eat for any emotional reason. I'm a trained chef, so I love food, and that also makes it easy for me to make balanced meals. But I eat because my body still feels hungry, or unsatisfied, if you will.

stepping back and analyzing my food intake and internalize the fact that whatever I just ate, at that particular sitting was more than sufficient for any human being.

I think this is what I need to do. Instead of running for more food, I should be aware that what I ate was enough. As simple as that is, I've never even thought of that before. :laugh:

I think this is what I need to do. Instead of running for more food, I should be aware that what I ate was enough. As simple as that is, I've never even thought of that before. :laugh:

Become more aware as stated previously. You will eventually understand by simple self-analysis. And of course the process won't be perfect, don't beat yourself up over it. This will simply prepare you for whenever you get the urge (and you will) to binge again. Recall how you felt after eating such substantial amount, in your body and mind, and simply tell yourself that you don't want to feel that way again.

There's a big difference between overeating and binge eating. Binge eaters generally don't feel hungry, but eat for comfort and in HUGE amounts of high-carb, sometimes fast food meals. (Ex. Super-sized Big Mac meal, coke, hot fudge sundae, AND an Apple pie)

Try drinking a large glass of water before you eat and add plenty of protein to your meals. This should help you feel satisfied after a portion controlled meal.

Any tips on how to stop binge eating?

The reason I over eat, I think, is that after eating a meal I still feel hungry. I eat fairly balanced meals throughout the day but I still feel hungry afterwards. I may eat "healthy" meals but the things I go for after are always horrible. My family have no interest in being healthy so they always have chips and other crap food around the house, and of course because it's there, that's what I grab, and I seem to have no will power to only eat a few.

So, has anyone overcome binge eating? How did you do it, is it just a matter of will power?

Crap food has been designed to be addictive. It is called bliss point engineering. And the snack companies have gotten very good at it. These foods don't trigger our natural sense of satiation. That is why nobody can eat just one!

You said you eat well. But what do you eat? And about how many calories per meal?

I have really have no idea how lean you are, or what your physical setpoints are, leptin sensitivity and/or your dopamine levels sensitivity, level of stress or if you have a history of drug abuse or not...I'll just try and explain what I know from a physiological perspective.

One of the common things that tends to occur when (normal, not genetically gifted) people diet for long periods (or undereat), the hormone leptin tends to take a dive fairly quickly.... And rises quickly when you overeat especially carbs. Leptin is produced in your fat cells and when adequate leptin reaches the blood brain barrier binding to D1 and D2 dopamine receptors, this normalizes neuropeptide Y and corticotropin-releasing hormone which in turn normalize other functions including appetite, hormone release, thyroid output, nervous system output and metabolic rate. Therefore, the master hormone leptin via dopamine binding activity controls a bunch of sh*t downstream.

One of the ways is to find ways to control dopamine release via whatever makes you happy, ie the reward system of your brain amongst other things. Many dopamine receptor agonist do just this, but it does not change your actual setpoint.

It some people's theory that through regular exercise and intermittent fasting (and less stress) can actually help to sensitize receptors to your own hormones.