Feel Better Running on Less

Almond_Joy

Hi everyone,

I just started Focus t25 yesterday. I haven't yet started following the nutrition guide but had already started eating better beforehand because I wanted to lose some weight. Well today so far I've only consumed about 500 calories - I had a 250 calorie snack before the workout this morning and a 250 cal lunch now. I feel really good, not tired or starving.

....that seems off to me. Is it ok or should I be forcing myself to snack? I'm worried because yesterday I had maybe 1100 calories all day and felt great too. I always read you need at least 1200 calories a day.

BTW I'm a late 20's female weighing nearly 150. I was easily consuming 2000 - 2400 cals a day before I started tapering down...don't know if that makes a difference.

• Author
Almond_Joy
Congrats on your efforts.

Your body uses calories consumed and also uses your fat stores. You are getting enough energy. The issue is are you getting enough quick release energy for your level of activity...the answer for this is in how you feel. If you don't feel lethargic, then no problem.

I'm 5'4" and 118lbs. I consume about 1600 calories a day. This is is enough to make me feel energetic when I go for a run, hit the gym, dance, etc.

Anyways, you are on track to shed a pound a week or so. A healthy loss.

An aside...check out recommended weight charts. We use these on our ward...and 'the average' is no longer an acceptable goal. If you are under 5'6" then a good target weight is on the low 130's.

Yeah I'm 5'4 shooting for 130 to 135 - glad they assessed those charts! Last time I checked one out it said I was suppossed to be like 119 or 122 or something -____-

Thanks!

I don't think you're on the route to any serious health problems, assuming you feel fine and are of normal weight, AND getting enough nutrition (protein, vitamins and minerals, etc).

That being said, if you continue this for the long term, there is a risk of your body's metabolism slowing down to accommodate the lack of calories (also known as starvation mode). This is a huge contributing factor in why some people gain all their weight back and then some, after stopping a severe dieting regime. So just be mindful of that.

My suggestion would be to shoot for 1300-1500/day, really. 2000-2400 is definitely too much for a woman unless you have an extremely physically gruelling job. And 500-1000 is definitely too little.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1

From personal experience I think your body knows sometimes when it needs to lose weight and won't bust you with hunger even if you only eat a little. I looked in the mirror with my shirt off for the first time in a while the other day and haven't felt hungry since on 1000 calories a day and I'm taller and male.

As long as you're not stressing out over it your metabolism should be fine.

• Like 1