What keeps you motivated to exercise?

seekingpeaceinlove

Everyone has those days where they can barely muster the energy to exercise. What motivates you to power through and go work out anyways? For me, it's looking at my "chubby" pics to remind myself never to go back to that again. I looked so unhappy in those pics!

What's yours?

regine_phalange

The fact that I don't want my back pain to come back.

The fun I have during yoga. I think I am addicted, because I always look for time frames to squeeze it in.

The way I feel light like a feather during and after yoga.

The fact that I relegiously do yoga at least 40 min a day makes me feel good with my self, my commitment and dedication.

I don't feel the desire to eat weird stuff when I exercise consistently.

Clothes fit better. Skin is tighter.

• Like 1
Under The Radar

Motivation to exercise comes to me in many forms:

• My mental health/stress reliever.
  • Improved self-esteem.
  • At times, challenging myself is fun.
  • Rehabilitate old injuries/reduce aches & pains.
  • Prehabilitation - to reduce the likelihood of future injuries.
  • I Sleep Better.
  • I have a nicer appearance - more muscular and lean.
  • I tend to eat healthier and have a balanced diet when training is consistent.
  • I'm happier, when in shape, which means people want to be around me and my relationships are healthier.
  • I enjoy being light, but strong ...... it makes my activities of daily living easier and I can move through time/space more efficiently.
  • Leading by example is important to me ....... it serves to encourage others.
  • Experience is the best teacher and I learn more by doing. Understanding my body and how it works interests me.
  • On dreary days, when I feel lethargic, I remind myself of the old timers that pioneered the physical culture movement in the 1890's. It helps me remember how much harder life was back then. Yet, despite a lack of equipment, and a non-abundance of nutritional food, they managed to succeed.
  • Thinking about friends and family that are no longer able to work out because of death or severe disability ...... I still can.

In the end, I've relied far more on discipline than motivation over the years. It becomes a life style and it's comparable to a daily habit ...... like brushing my teeth. Some days you will not be motivated, but perseverance will always be that ingredient pushing you to succeed.

Edited by Training Revelations
  • Like 2

A big part of my motivation comes from this long term vitamin deficiency and its effects on my mind and body.

I think the exercise is really important for my mind, body, and the creation of new neural connections as I exercise and as my body's basic stores are replenished.

On the one hand, because of the deficiency my body seems determined to stay at the same weight level (I'm hoping it realizes soon that there will now and for quite a while be enough and switches out of starvation mode) I am not losing as much weight as I'd like. On the other, I can tell fat is reducing and muscle is increasing because I am looking better. And yes, that is a motivator for me.

Motivation to exercise comes to me in many forms:

• My mental health/stress reliever.
  • Improved self-esteem.
  • At times, challenging myself is fun.
  • Rehabilitate old injuries/reduce aches & pains.
  • Prehabilitation - to reduce the likelihood of future injuries.
  • I Sleep Better.
  • I have a nicer appearance - more muscular and lean.
  • I tend to eat healthier and have a balanced diet when training is consistent.
  • I'm happier, when in shape, which means people want to be around me and my relationships are healthier.
  • I enjoy being light, but strong ...... it makes my activities of daily living easier and I can move through time/space more efficiently.
  • Leading by example is important to me ....... it serves to encourage others.
  • Experience is the best teacher and I learn more by doing. Understanding my body and how it works interests me.
  • On dreary days, when I feel lethargic, I remind myself of the old timers that pioneered the physical culture movement in the 1890's. It helps me remember how much harder life was back then. Yet, despite a lack of equipment, and a non-abundance of nutritional food, they managed to succeed.
  • Thinking about friends and family that are no longer able to work out because of death or severe disability ...... I still can.

In the end, I've relied far more on discipline than motivation over the years. It becomes a life style and it's comparable to a daily habit ...... like brushing my teeth. Some days you will not be motivated, but perseverance will always be that ingredient pushing you to succeed.

This! I really like this.

My motivaiton seems to be innate, not necessarily about working out in particular but, I have to have something to focus on to keep occupied or I would be like a neurotic dog that is constantly tinkering with things to figure things out...maybe why I became an engineer. I am like the opposite of ADHD at times.

Everyone has those days where they can barely muster the energy to exercise. What motivates you to power through and go work out anyways? For me, it's looking at my "chubby" pics to remind myself never to go back to that again. I looked so unhappy in those pics!

What's yours?

This is what separates the real women from the girls and the real men from the boys.....you have to be disciplined, once that is in check then it becomes a psychological / mental thing.

My body is programmed to between 11am - 12 noon time for a run every single days, 365. Yes it's snowing, baking hot or raining outside....dress for the weather and get out there and do it. I guess you will rather stay indoors and stuff your face or sit on the couch doing jack?

I just love seeing the fake runner during the summer all dressed up trying to get attention...oh look, it's nice out....am going for a run in my yoga pants and my ipod on :rolleyes:

Go hard or go home...that is how I roll ;)

I am also an engineer for my sins :-) I can be seen with my GPS watch on, even though I know my own body by now and how many calories am burning and how far have gone. It has just become part of my accessories for running

***For those that are not that disciplined, find that boot camp sergeant that will give you a kick in the backside when you are not feeling like going out to exercise

Edited by Tayken

Some people at my gym and I were just talking about this tonight. I seem to have lost my motivation, and with it my drive to eat healthy, and while I'm in this funk I'm losing strength and stamina as well, despite that I'm still actually going to the gym...I'm not giving 50%, let alone 110%.

So we sat down and talked about why I joined this gym in the first place--to lose weight. They said maybe I need something other than weight, and maybe to set some goals.

So my short-term motivation right now is to go because it makes me feel better. When I work hard and feel better, then it rolls over to other parts of my life...I eat better, I make sure to get more sleep, and I'm more kind to myself mentally (not beat myself up).

Knowing how great I'll feel afterward.

Fitting in my clothes.

My cute running clothes! A new running skirt makes me want to hit the trails.

Feeling my muscle tone, and wanting to keep it.

Wanting to stay off cholesterol drugs (bad genes).

Knowing my dog needs a run, even if I'm feeling lazy.

Knowing how great I'll feel afterward.

Fitting in my clothes.

My cute running clothes! A new running skirt makes me want to hit the trails.

Feeling my muscle tone, and wanting to keep it.

Wanting to stay off cholesterol drugs (bad genes).

Knowing my dog needs a run, even if I'm feeling lazy.

beat motivation for me

haha i love putting on my lingerie, looking in the mirror, and saying, "day-um i look good"

not the only reason why i am motivated to exercise and eat healthy, but definitely one important reason. :)

what motivates me to exercise it is 1) lifestyle 2) when I run I like hearing my heart beat makes me feel alive 3) I like doing pbs

what helps me to keep working out or running (I run any where between 80+120 mile weeks) is my will and desire to push my useless body and see where it goes and what it can handle been like these since I was in the military always striving to improve

Same. Exactly what happened last night. Got to the gym, started changing and reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyy didn't want to be there. Still carried on because I knew the feeling would pass. The first 5-10 minutes were lack-lustre but of course I got into it. It always gets better, after a while you become conscious of this.

• Like 1
My dog needs to run everyday. I do it for love. :love:

Yeah! Damn those big puppy dog eyes!!

For me its mostly...lifestyle I guess....like I'm so used to it I wouldn't know how to stop.

If I don't, like if we're too busy or travelling or something my body feels awful, like really restless and I get cramp in my legs - so I guess that motivates me, like a drive to release energy.

That combined with:

• Setting challenges/competing in events
  • Because I want my body to be at its peak physical fitness
  • Knowing that the harder I push in training the better i'll perform on the football pitch and at work
  • I feel healthy
  • Because I see my gf checking me out when I have my shirt off and I intend to keep it that way ;):laugh:
  • Because I want to set a good example for my boys!

Probably all underpinned by the fact I was born incredibly competitive, people bike London to Brighton - I biked the alps, my brother did a marathon in 3:45 - I wanted to go sub 3:30, Cheryl Cole climbed Kilimanjaro - you can bet I'm working on it!! :p:laugh:

bubblesbursted

What keeps me hooked to working out? Its the thoughts of my ex. Whenever such thoughts come to my mind I start working out :lmao: , lame but it works :D