Hi all :)

Ok, so I'm new to doing weights exercises.

I've done workouts with some weights, but its new that I'll actually do a whole ~45 minute workout that's just weights.

I'm currently doing them 3x a week.

I learned how to do the form correctly for the different exercises.

I have a few questions:

1. What's a realistic timeline with a 3x/week weights workout? - I mean is 3x a week enough to see good results in ~5 months, or is that not realistic - ie, it will take much longer.

2. How often should I increase the weights I use?

In the very beginning, when I did the workout, I totally felt it the next day - I haven't felt it like that since.

I don't lift stuff that's too heavy and I do things that by the end of the 2nd set, it feels a bit challenging, but I still don't feel that soreness like I did.

- My muscles feel tired right after the workout, but I don't feel sore the next day

Everything I do 2 sets of 10 of

Here's what my workout is made up of:

- Squats (20lb + the bar)

- deadlifts (20lb + bar)

- Dumbell rows (12 lb )

- barbell rows *** (20lb + the bar)

- dumbell fly (?), forget the name (5 lb)

- forget the name (I call them twisties) - they are the ones where you lift straight up and then twist the arms a bit, and then do that in reverse on the way back (10lb)

Then I do - I think they're called hamstring curls

then I do some calf raises on the stairs

then end it with bicycle crunches

where I have *** - I do the different exercises for the rows because they feel different to me.

Anyways, is there anything good to add to help with overall strength.

What do you think about my 2 earlier questions.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi. Glad to hear you are working out. The benefits will be excellent in time.

Typically you want to work a body-part two times a week. Say you follow a basic routine of: upperbody: chest, triceps, and shoulders on Mon, and Thur.

A lower body of: back, traps, and. Biceps on Tuesday and Friday. Legs on Wednesday and Saturday(Sunday off).

Say that as a routine (example). This gives the muscles each two days or rest. Rather adequate. But also means you work these muscles out, twice a week. This alone is good enough to see nice gains. In five months, it will show or should show the amount of effort you have applied into your workouts.

You needn't or shouldn't work any one muscle out three times a week. They need rest to build. You should do four-five sets of reps with the weight you lift. Slowly raising the weight as you go from set to set.

Say you do: 200lb bench press for six reps, your fourth and finale set. Say after two weeks of doing this, eventually you feel you can do more reps: so you increase from six to eight and eight to ten.

By the tenth I'd say you should be adequate enough to move up to the next level. I'm reality, you should be aiming every-time you work your chest(or any muscle) to keep raising the amount of reps for each set. That way, your body can adapt and grow, so you can move on in weight.

You will see results if you keep at it, keep it intense, and push yourself. But the lifting of weights themselves is only the conduit, the key that opens the door. What will really build you is your diet and good rest(body recovers the most during sleep).

Thus, you need to find what your bodies needs are and supply it according to those needs. If you want gains, est more calories(somewhere from 500-1000 more than your Max.) I don't of course mean for you to just eat anything to gain your increased calories. Gain to your calorie level in terms of; protein, carbs, and fat.

Last: it depends on your body type on how fast you see gains. Endomorphs are naturally big. Ectomorphs are usually lean(very small muscle ) and then there's mesomorph: these see very quick gains in muscle(overall best body type)

So do not just think of your weight lifting as the way to get bigger: it's a science. Eat well, sleep well, and workout well. Gains will come

• Like 1

I see you wanted additives to your workout, and that you are a female(sorry.) If you want a firm butt, and nice thighs, try doing a walking-lunge. They are amazing, and you will feel it. I actually like them better than squats. Basically, take two dumbells, and do ten steps(each step, from your right and left, count as a step), while you make the step, go down like you typically would in a lunge form, then make another step.

This is amazing, and as a female, it will be wonders for your rear and thighs.

• Like 1

As far as how long it will take to see results, it's going to be very difficult for anyone to really quantify without knowing

a) what your goals are - are you training to "tone up" (gah, I hate that term), enter a powerlifting competition, for a sport or event such as triathlon, etc.

b) what kind of starting point you're at in terms of bodyfat levels, basic conditioning levels, etc.

When it comes to increasing the amount of weight you're doing, the most basic rule that I try to apply to my own training is to "go as heavy as you can go while maintaining safe and effective form and while remaining in the rep range specific to your goal".

What this means is that if your goal is developing maximal peak strength on a lift, chances are that most of your sets will be in the 1-5 rep range. However, if one's goal is to get bigger, a rep range of 6-15 tends to be more conducive to that goal. If I'm using a weight that I can only lift 5 times safely, then I'm training for strength effectively, but I'd want to lighten the load and get more reps if size (hypertrophy) is what I'm after.

As to how often to up the weights: refer to the first rule, but it's always good to try and "beat" your previous personal records (PRs). Whether you attempt to do this every training session, every week, or every 3 weeks (it's completely arbitrary) depends on your goals and level of training. More advanced trainees might take even longer to up the weights being used. The common theme is to be constantly improving something, whether it be peak strength, strength endurance, mobility, etc.

Basically, as long as you keep striving to improve your performance from the previous session in some way, you'll be doing the right thing. The people who see the least amount of results are the ones that just go through the motions without regard for long term improvement through small incremental increases in performance.

• Like 1
  • Author

Todd, thank you so much!!

You explained things to me so well.

My bf tells me about the importance of rest to build, but I thought 1 day in between is good enough and I do take the weekend off.

I will try to alternate the different muscle workouts like you explained, and therefore give the diff groups more time to rest/build.

I will also try to do more sets. I never thought of increasing the sets, I just thought I'd have to increase the weight - this makes a lot of sense.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion about the lunges. I will definitely be trying that on the next workout. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks Tman :)

I'll tell you more about my goals/where I'm at right now....

My main goal is to gain strength and tone up.

I've been trying to also lose weight (I'm "average" or a medium, so I'm not way over the edge) and I do other exercises, I am watching my diet and eating pretty healthy right now.

I do pole dancing and I know that if I build up my upper body strength more - that will definitely help with that.

I got a little confused when you mentioned doing the biggest "comfortable" weight in an exercise. I think (since I'm really new to this and I think I have what you pros :) consider a typical 'girly outlook" - yes I am afraid that doing big weights will give me crazy Madonna arms and make me look bulky) ... is that really such a crazy assumption?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing 2-5lb, I'm doing weights that I find big (for a beginner), and my goal is to get strong and be able to do a few pullups, or dips

right now, on my goal list is (1 pullup, 1 dip, non-girly pushups)

I like your advice about trying to improve on 1 thing with every workout. I think that would make a difference.

Todd, thank you so much!!

You explained things to me so well.

My bf tells me about the importance of rest to build, but I thought 1 day in between is good enough and I do take the weekend off.

I will try to alternate the different muscle workouts like you explained, and therefore give the diff groups more time to rest/build.

I will also try to do more sets. I never thought of increasing the sets, I just thought I'd have to increase the weight - this makes a lot of sense.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion about the lunges. I will definitely be trying that on the next workout. :)

Yw! I am glad to be of help. Just make sure to keep your back straight as possible on a walking lunge. Use ten lb dumbbells held straight at hip level. Arms loose not tense. Step one leg forward, go down like a typical lunge(bend knee/leg down as comfortable as possible) watch a video if you must. I don't want you getting hurt.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yw! I am glad to be of help. Just make sure to keep your back straight as possible on a walking lunge. Use ten lb dumbbells held straight at hip level. Arms loose not tense. Step one leg forward, go down like a typical lunge(bend knee/leg down as comfortable as possible) watch a video if you must. I don't want you getting hurt.

Thanks for the tips Todd - I'm very excited to try it out :bunny:

.....I already get compliments on the booté, but damn! after this, I'll be sure to credit the commotion I cause to you and your tips :p

Thanks for the tips Todd - I'm very excited to try it out :bunny:

.....I already get compliments on the booté, but damn! after this, I'll be sure to credit the commotion I cause to you and your tips :p

I appreciate that, but the effort will surely be on your end. I would compliment you. Yes, not only will your booty be more toned, but so will your thighs(really firmer). Your boyfriend will die everytime he sees you lol.

• Like 1

It's not a crazy assumption to assume that you'll get bigger muscles by lifting weights, but as a female, your body does not produce enough natural testosterone to cause you to look like a female bodybuilder. In terms of what you consider to be "too big", I suppose that's just a judgement call you'll have to make.

THAT SAID, lifting heavy weights alone is not going to put a bunch of bulky muscle on you. Yes, you'll gain some muscle mass, but most people, guys included, don't just wake up one day looking like Hulk.;) Google Nia Shanks. She's waayyyyy too skinny for my tastes, and yet she deadlifts 315 lbs. My fiancee and lifting partner squats 205, deadlifts 265 for 3, and can barbell row 135 with ease. Yes, she has some "chick guns", but she doesn't look bulky.

Basically, don't be afraid of lifting heavy weights. You're not going to end up looking like Starla from Napoleon Dynamite unless you take supplemental testosterone.

I think the best thing you can do for your goals right now is stay the course with your 3x a week total body training (switch up the exercises every few weeks, and always try to improve something). Splitting your training up into body parts is fine, but the only real advantage to it is if you're doing a lot of volume or if your intensity is so high that you need the additional time to recover each movement or bodypart. Since you're not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, you don't need to worry about doing that.

As far as improving your training routine, I'd definitely check out Nia Shank's website. She's got some great resources there for training ideas. They're female-centered, but definitely not "fru fru", if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

Get Margaret Richard's DVDs. Start with Good'n'Strong. I love her stuff and I've never looked better. If you want to be teenytiny, Tracy Anderson DVDs might be the way to go. Works for Gwyneth! Youtube has videos from every instructor so you can get a feel for their workouts. A month is plenty of time to see results.

• Like 1
  • Author
From Nia Shank's website: 30 Rules to Lift Like a Girl & Look Absolutely Awesome - Nia Shanks

I think it's a good summation of where you want to focus.

Bookmarked that site!

It was really informative and motivational.

I'm feeling more confident that I will not end up looking like the hulk ;) if I up the weights.

I'm so excited to work with weights and try to reach my goals and keep switching it up with time - it seems like there would be no shortage of goals and things to change and improve on that it can't possibly get dull.

Thanks again Tman :)

• Author
Get Margaret Richard's DVDs. Start with Good'n'Strong. I love her stuff and I've never looked better. If you want to be teenytiny, Tracy Anderson DVDs might be the way to go. Works for Gwyneth! Youtube has videos from every instructor so you can get a feel for their workouts. A month is plenty of time to see results.

Thanks for the tip FC,

I'm normally not a fan of the video workouts, but I looked at some of the youtube stuff and if I just remember how to do things - I can do it all without the vid, so that's awesome!!

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been lifting off and on for 12 years now. I love free weights- push jerks and snatches (sorry for the jargon but im addicted to these).

How fast can you see results?-hmm, what kind of results? Strength, tone, weight loss? Since i'm female and asian, I really cant see muscles even if I workout 3x a week for several months. I do get toned and I get lifts at the right places.

Since one of your goal is strength, try adding a few pounds, but decrease repetitions. If you feel comfortable, add reps. If you dont have a trainer, be very conscious of your form.

Losing weight. Hmm, ditch the scale and get a tape measure. You may lose fats but gain muscles so the scale will not be a very good friend. Or take pictures :)

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
I've been lifting off and on for 12 years now. I love free weights- push jerks and snatches (sorry for the jargon but im addicted to these).

How fast can you see results?-hmm, what kind of results? Strength, tone, weight loss? Since i'm female and asian, I really cant see muscles even if I workout 3x a week for several months. I do get toned and I get lifts at the right places.

Since one of your goal is strength, try adding a few pounds, but decrease repetitions. If you feel comfortable, add reps. If you dont have a trainer, be very conscious of your form.

Losing weight. Hmm, ditch the scale and get a tape measure. You may lose fats but gain muscles so the scale will not be a very good friend. Or take pictures :)

A woman talking weights :love: And knows what she's talking about double :love::love:

• Like 1

TheFinalWord... thank you. i saw TigerCub is a girl, so i might be able to give some tips :o

and yes, it would be impossible for girl to bulk up like man. it frustrates me though. i don't look like i lift weights haha

i do increase my protein intake (chicken breast and fish with white meat). i might try protein shakes.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
TheFinalWord... thank you. i saw TigerCub is a girl, so i might be able to give some tips :o

and yes, it would be impossible for girl to bulk up like man. it frustrates me though. i don't look like i lift weights haha

i do increase my protein intake (chicken breast and fish with white meat). i might try protein shakes.

You might be more toned than you think lol I always think "I'm not that muscular" then a friend that hasn't seen me in a while will say "Man TFW, you're arms are insanely huge" :p Eyes can play tricks.

Protein shakes are awesome. Literally, every day for the past 10 years I have had a protein shake, 1 cup oatmeal, and a multivitamin pack for breakfast. :) I'm using a different one called "Carnivore" now (love that name); it's beef-based instead of whey-based. Interesting, but the chocolate tastes good.

I did neural charge workout yesterday. Interesting change of pace :)

Edited by TheFinalWord
You might be more toned than you think lol I always think "I'm not that muscular" then a friend that hasn't seen me in a while will say "Man TFW, you're arms are insanely huge" :p Eyes can play tricks.

Protein shakes are awesome. Literally, every day for the past 10 years I have had a protein shake, 1 cup oatmeal, and a multivitamin pack for breakfast. :) I'm using a different one called "Carnivore" now (love that name); it's beef-based instead of whey-based. Interesting, but the chocolate tastes good.

I did neural charge workout yesterday. Interesting change of pace :)

i watched it :)

on non gym days, i do burpees.

but im feeling lazy these days :D

i hope the OP can update us.