LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Health Insurance (USA)

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Old 8th October 2012, 3:50 PM   #1
Established Member

Health Insurance (USA)

Hi everyone,

Can anyone enlighten me about health insurances in the US?

I had watched the movie "The Third Wheel" time ago, where the main character hit a homeless guy with his car, then he takes him to some hospital and I guess he covers the expenses with his own insurance.

So I'm just wondering if a US citizen can cover health costs (like emergency) with his own insurance coverage for someone else. It'd be for a short time, like a week.

What do you think?

Thanks.
justwhoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 3:56 PM   #2
Established Member

I don't think so. The person would have to be included in your plan.
Like a "family plan" which defines the family members insured, your deductibles etc. Maybe you can include someone in your "plan" for a certain period of time for a higher premium, but not a random stranger.
Minnie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 4:00 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie09 View Post
Maybe you can include someone in your "plan" for a certain period of time for a higher premium, but not a random stranger.
Ok. So do you think it's possible?
Old 8th October 2012, 4:11 PM   #4
Established Member

If you have health insurance through your employer, ie you're part of their group plan, it will not be possible to just include someone else just like that. And if you are insured directly with an insurance company, which is expensive as hell, and you want to add someone, it will be super-expensive as hell. It's not going to be any cheaper than taking out your own health insurance for that period. So if they give it to you, you'll pay. They will do it for sure if they can make a profit.
Minnie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 7:02 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndge9584 View Post
I would recommend that you get a personal plan along with the group policy.
I can get a sort of plan as a tourist for a limited time. But what I was wondering and is not clear yet is if I can be included in a US citizen's plan (a friend). He said only family members can be included, or partner for gay couples, but proof must be supplied that they are living together.

I'm not entirely sure it's like that. That would exclude straight de facto couples.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
I had watched the movie "The Third Wheel" time ago, where the main character hit a homeless guy with his car, then he takes him to some hospital and I guess he covers the expenses with his own insurance.
This is the crucial part that no one else is mentioning. His CAR INSURANCE could cover the person he hit; not his own, personal health insurance which cannot cover another person unless they are listed on his policy for some reason (i.e., family member).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
But what I was wondering and is not clear yet is if I can be included in a US citizen's plan (a friend). He said only family members can be included, or partner for gay couples, but proof must be supplied that they are living together.

I'm not entirely sure it's like that.
Yes, this is true. You cannot be listed on a friend's policy. Only family members. Even some "partners for gay couples" have difficulty and have to jump through a lot of loopholes to be put on another person's policy.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 1:47 PM   #7
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
I do know of some instances personally where, prior to local hospitals requiring photo ID, a person used another's health insurance card to obtain services, being admitted under that name instead of their own.

Emergency services in my area will not deny anyone treatment, but they will seek to be paid by someone. If the recipient is indigent or lacks insurance, it'll go to the state for payment and/or collections.

I was self-insured for about 20 years and started buying insurance after getting married.

Generally, members listed on the policy is governed by the policy/insurer. Often, there are rules about cooling-off/pre-existing conditions, etc. None pertain to actually obtaining treatment, but rather to coverage for paying for that treatment.

Proceed with caution.
carhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 1:47 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
This is the crucial part that no one else is mentioning. His CAR INSURANCE could cover the person he hit; not his own, personal health insurance which cannot cover another person unless they are listed on his policy for some reason (i.e., family member).
Yeah, that seems like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Yes, this is true. You cannot be listed on a friend's policy. Only family members. Even some "partners for gay couples" have difficulty and have to jump through a lot of loopholes to be put on another person's policy.
Ok. Thank you.