Does anyone here train in this particular way? I'm looking for somewhere in London where I can train with a group.

Plyometric training is good, when applied properly, for increasing a person's ability to handle shock and increase power (the ability to apply force over a small amount of time).

There are a lot of trainers who misapply plyometrics; specifically, you see a lot of people using plyo training for fat loss/work capacity conditioning and performing way too much volume. When you combine the high impact of plyometrics and high volume, one's injury potential increases substantially. Not to pick on the CrossFitters here, but the high rep box jumps that they perform are a prime example of this-a snapped Achilles tendon is not very conducive to productive training. ;) And yes, this has actually happened.

In addition, people who are unable to perform the plyometric exercise with good form or are carrying a lot of excess body mass (i.e. fat people and/or inflexible people) should probably steer away from such training until they are lighter and more mobile.

I recommend that you take a hard look at your fitness goals and ask yourself whether or not the potential risks are worth the rewards. Perhaps attend one of the group training sessions and observe how things go.

• Author

Thanks tman, you always give such good advice. I'm a boxer and I'm in excellent condition but I need to take it further. I'm quite good at easing myself into something new, I've never had a significant injury only really small ones. Of course that's not to say that I'm blaze about it.

I need to up my explosive power and plyo looks very good. I train about 4-5 times a week boxing, weights, core, running so I'm used to high impact. I don't want to do crossfit, more something along these lines:

Thanks tman, you always give such good advice. I'm a boxer and I'm in excellent condition but I need to take it further. I'm quite good at easing myself into something new, I've never had a significant injury only really small ones. Of course that's not to say that I'm blaze about it.

I need to up my explosive power and plyo looks very good. I train about 4-5 times a week boxing, weights, core, running so I'm used to high impact. I don't want to do crossfit, more something along these lines:

Ahh gotcha. Yeah, I didn't know anything about you, but if you're already pretty well conditioned for boxing, you probably won't have any troubles with some properly applied plyo training!

• Like 1