im 24

nothing but a fat ugly f**ker

im 6 foot

240lbs

my jobs just sitting down

im clueless on diets

it feels like no way out

RiverRunning

I've lost 80ish pounds. My heaviest weight was 295 pounds (and I'm 5'8"). I should add that at 240 pounds and 6'0", you're about 55 pounds overweight (according to the BMI). That's not THAT bad and you are NOT as fat as you likely think you are - especially being male, I wouldn't be surprised if more of your weight isn't muscle.

The others can give you many, many great resources. I'll talk about a few.

1. Look up a daily calorie maintenance calculator (google it). For a desk job, as you currently have (according to my calculations), you need to ingest about 2500 calories a day to maintain your weight. As you lose weight, the numbers of calories you will need to maintain your weight will drop (so I recommend recalculating your calorie maintenance numbers every time you drop, say, 10 pounds).

2. You need to burn about 3,500 calories per week to lose a pound. 7,000 a week to lose 2 pounds per week. If you shave off 500 calories per day from your daily calorie maintenance (ingest about 2,000 a day), you will lose about a pound per week.

3. Look up an exercise calorie calculator (Google that exact phrase again). An hour of walking at 4 MPH will result in a calorie burn of about 500 calories. Do that 7 days a week, and between that and shaving off 500 calories from your daily diet, you've got the magic in the works for losing 2 pounds per week.

This is a very simplistic "how to lose weight" guide - I haven't spoken about proper nutrition, weight training, etc. I figure the others can get more into the bones of that.

I realize you can't PM yet, but once you get the ability to do so, you can feel free to drop me a line.

• Like 4
  • Author

thanks for the reply, i am a large boy i would day, a fat belly, man boobs, i even snore as im so fat...

im to low to join a gym, im clueless on foods and what to eat and when, i work 5 nights a week alone, just sittin in a office so i tend to eat.

like now as i will be up all night in work and finish at 7.30am, i have eaten in 24 hours, a egg an tomato baguette, 5 bananas, an not sure what else but nothing thats good for me

pureinheart

(((((((((hugs))))))))) Hang in there brother. Loosing weight is not easy. I've been up and down all my life with weight. I have to tell you, the worst was when I couldn't gain weight. I got really skinny at 110lbs a good weight for me is around 130-140. It really scared me.

So this is the possitive side...loosing weight is less scary when you have it to loose.

Your hours suck, but still doable. If you can stay away from fast foods and processed foods. Foods that you have to prepare take time, but are worth the effort. Stick to fruits and veggies. Stay away from red meat...AND sugar products, ALL sugar products...you know it's a healthier way to live anyway:D

whichwayisup
im 24

im 6 foot

240lbs

im clueless on diets

it feels like no way out

-You are young!

-You are NOT 'nothing' and you're not a fat ugly f,,ker. Don't say stuff like that about yourself! It's negative and makes you feel bad/worse.

-Tall is good!

-You can lose the weight. Get help, talk to your family Dr. See a nutritionist, join a gym, get on a weigh loss program that helps you in more than just losin weight but also can combo it with counseling to help you gain self confidence.

Your job is sitting down all day? Get up and walk around. Take your breaks and go for a walk outside on nice days.

There is a way out, you just need to ask for help. I know it's hard sometimes to reach out, but if you want change, you need to be the one to make the changes.

Hope this helps.

Since you're in the UK, surely you can see an NHS dietician or nutritionist. Otherwise join Slimming World.

• Like 1

My job consists in sitting at a series of desks, one for 3 hours, another for 4 hours, staff meeting at another desk for an hour, then lunch for 30 min...I get so bored I started hitting the vending machine. Now instead, I munch on carrots and broccoli, occasional salad, some melon, I just had to find things that weren't high calorie or processed.

I hit a gym before and after work, nothing strenuous, but consistent. That is what's the most important.

• Like 1

I'd say that, for men especially, exercise is the key to getting healthy. Remember, it took you a long time to get to the weight you are so it will take a fair while to lose it. You've taken the first step - asking for help - and that can be the hardest one so well done!

Start with exercise you can keep up, such as going for a walk. If you can, walk more of your journey to work, and at work. When you have time off, go for a walk in the park or country.

Get some comfortable trainers. Your feet and knees are taking a lot of pressure so good shoes will help you *want* to do exercise.

When you get the urge to eat, have a glass of water and wait 30 minutes. If after that you're still hungry, eat.

Try eating more vegetables: take carrots with you to work and nibble on those.

Make sure you sleep well. Since you work nights, get some eye-shades (get them in Tesco or Boots) to make sure its dark when you're sleeping. We often confuse tiredness with hunger.

In fact, we often mix up hunger and other feelings, and comfort eating is just that. Try and identify what is really bothering you at any moment and deal with it, rather than reaching for comfort food.

Good luck.

Feelin Frisky

Obviously you need to start changing things. There is no overnight formula and things will take time. But you are young and have the time whether you realize it or not. One thing that I've found motivating to lose weight and otherwise excel is to have a "love interest". Working nights can be very bad if you're single and have a propensity to gain weight. What you want is a day job that exposes you to lots of females where chances are you'll take a liking to one--even if you can't get her. Just knowing that your existence registers on a bunch of people--especially of the opposite sex--gives you some reason to make better choices that work to improve or enhance your image. I did exactly this myself (although I wasn't single. My evening hours at work were causing friction with my g/f and contributed to the demise of our relationship.) I got a different job where I knew soon after I was going to have to speak publicly and be seen and scrutinized by a lot of people, mostly women. The busy-ness of all this activity kept me from falling into the old pattern of pleasure eating to pass the time and this commitment I made to change my trajectory really delivered me from a boring existence where I came to feel like "somebody" again. Put one foot in front of the other and just keep making steps that cause you to rise to the occasion.

im 24

im 6 foot

240lbs

im clueless on diets

it feels like no way out

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

Listen man, you have to pick yourself UP! 240 pounds and 6 feet tall is not bad at ALL!

Go for walks before or after work. Buy a tread mill or exercise bike. If you can afford one, you can just buy a device that has pedals. You sit in your own chair and you pedal. It's called a pedaler. Some are cheap and flimsy. Some are very well made. Check out Amazon.com. Start out small. Eat more healthy. By some books that teach you how to eat healthy. You can do it. Take baby steps and stop putting yourself down.

thanks for the reply, i am a large boy i would day, a fat belly, man boobs, i even snore as im so fat...

im to low to join a gym, im clueless on foods and what to eat and when, i work 5 nights a week alone, just sittin in a office so i tend to eat.

like now as i will be up all night in work and finish at 7.30am, i have eaten in 24 hours, a egg an tomato baguette, 5 bananas, an not sure what else but nothing thats good for me

Sounds as though you're not facing up to how much you really eat in a day.

You would see plenty of large people in the gym, but perhaps for your own confidence you need to lose some weight before taking that step. A really good piece of equipment is the elliptical trainer. I use one at the gym, and burn about 500 calories per hour on it. I'm female and just a bit over half your weight...so if I can burn up 500 calories per hour on an elliptical trainer, think how much you'd burn up!

That said, you'd have to take it slow to start...but the advantage of it is that it's very low impact so you wouldn't be putting strain on your joints, and you really don't feel as though you're working hard on it...but probably 30 minutes per day would be enough for you - because much more than that and you'll feel it so much the next day that it could put you off.

You need to burn off 3,500 calories to lose a pound of weight. I think at your weight, and assuming some light exercise (a bit of walking and some time on the elliptical trainer) you could very easily lose two pounds per week on a diet of 2,500 calories per day. Once you get fitter and able to do more exercise you'll be able to step up that weight loss. Perhaps you could go to a weightwatchers' class for added support. In fact, I think you should do exactly that if you're feeling low. It'll help you to see that you're not alone.

It's such an eminently fixable problem, and something like weightwatchers will solve your "don't know what I'm supposed to eat" dilemma. With its help, you'll be able to put together a nutritionally well balanced diet that will optimise your weight loss. I went to support a friend in losing her pregnancy weight years ago. Throughout the latter half of my teens, I'd wanted to lose 7 pounds and would embark on all kinds of stupid fad diets that never worked. Three weeks at Weightwatchers, and the extra 7 pounds had vanished - and it stayed off. At your size, you would likely lose far more than that in the first three weeks.

Do it. Do a search for Weightwatchers classes in your area, and go to one ASAP. Then come back and confirm that you've done it. The will to lose the weight is there, now you need to transform that into action. While you're at it, why not get one of those self hypnosis CDs to help you with the motivation. Paul McKenna ones are pretty good - you could probably pick one up from Amazon for next to nothing.

YourHealthCoach247
im 24

im 6 foot

240lbs

im clueless on diets

it feels like no way out

Heyy, I'm a Health & Wellness coach and I specialized in targeted nutrition and building personalized nutrition plans based on individual health goals. I'm really interested in helping you!

Email me at [email protected] so we can chat!