LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Fitness for stress relief/happiness?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2012, 1:10 PM   #1

Fitness for stress relief/happiness?

Has anyone embarked on a workout plan mainly to help with stress or to try and achieve more peace? What have you found to be the most helpful? Cardio? Yoga? A combination of these or others? Did this lead to productive results?
Anywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 1:13 PM   #2
Established Member

Just going outside for a long, brisk walk really lifts your spirits. And it's free.
Old 1st June 2012, 1:31 PM   #3

That's a good idea, but I want something scheduled. I'm fighting depression and I think something that I have to make myself do at a certain time could be a good idea.
Anywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 4:56 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywhere View Post
That's a good idea, but I want something scheduled. I'm fighting depression and I think something that I have to make myself do at a certain time could be a good idea.
I try to walk everyday after work for half an hour. Then on alternate days I use my DVDs and weights for resistance training. Sunlight is a natural form of Vitamin D that fights depression and strengthens bones.

You also need to clean up your diet. Google foods that fight depression.
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 9:35 PM   #5
Established Member

Anything that gets your blood flowing will work just fine, I've never heard that cardio will improve your mood more than yoga or weights or anything like that. Any type of exercise gets some of those feel-good endorphins released. So pick what you like most and make a schedule out of it or follow a premade program. And like FitChick said get your diet in check as well. Try to keep it clean and natural. Things like sugar or comfort foods can make us feel better until the effect wears off and then we feel worse again, and it becomes a constant game of eating these bad foods to try to feel better. I'm currently on a mission to stop using sugary foods to this affect, need to break the cycle.
Exit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Established Member

you need to actually break a sweat. exercise and push your body hard.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
You need something that makes you work very very hard. Perhaps joining a group exercise class would work well, that usually motivates people. The more tired you get by the end of it, the better you will feel.
Emilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 12:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Has anyone embarked on a workout plan mainly to help with stress or to try and achieve more peace? What have you found to be the most helpful? Cardio? Yoga? A combination of these or others? Did this lead to productive results?
I have founded yoga exercise to achieve more peace and meditation is also useful in this way. Cardio is a good exercise but it can't help to reduce all stress and it good for only weight loss.
ivanhabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Can you find a friend to meet you regularly once or twice during the week or on the weekend to go for a walk outside or do some physical exercise?

I find that exercising with friends outdoors is really fun and actually lifts my seasonal affective depression which happens because where I live in the Midwest is dark and cold for 6-7 months every year and my Vitamin D level dips due to lack of sunlight exposure which means taking Vit. D during the fall, winter and early spring months until I can get outside and enjoy the sunshine.
writergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 2:32 PM   #10
Established Member

Do you like dancing? That would be a good cardio workout that you might find less boring.
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhabia View Post
I have founded yoga exercise to achieve more peace and meditation is also useful in this way. Cardio is a good exercise but it can't help to reduce all stress and it good for only weight loss.
Incorrect, the exact opposite is true. Cardio is very good at busting stress and releasing serotonin and dopamine.
Old 14th June 2012, 8:39 AM   #12

On a bodily level, yoga increases strength, versatility and elegance. But incredibly important, yoga will decrease levels of stress by the procedure for recovery and cleansing the mind together with healing the body.
Ronnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 8:54 AM   #13
Established Member

mumbo jumbo. it's the effects of the happy hormones that you get from exercise
Old 19th July 2012, 2:26 AM   #14

Definitely yoga being used as a tool for physical fitness, physical therapy, and spiritual development.
Old 20th July 2012, 6:23 PM   #15
Established Member

I have found both running and yoga to be helpful. Yoga is good in the sense that classes are scheduled so it became part of my weekly routine, plus a lot of the poses are designed to help release negative emotions. Running is free and good to do if you're stressed out and need to feel better ASAP (I used to get anxiety attacks and would go running to deal with it)

Biking is nice too though if you have a bike.

Try different things and see what you like best.
SpiralOut is offline   Reply With Quote