I want to start working out and eating right. Its hard because i have no motivation and am just generally lazy, i still do stuff to help my family or a project i want to finish but otherwise im a couch potato. I watch tv and movies all day and lay in my bed. I cant ever commit to a workout plan and we arent rich so i have to eat what my dad buys which is a freezer full of meat and cupboard of beans, tomato soup stuff like that. I have a job so i think im gonna start buying my own healthy foods once i get my check. I have a horrible sleeping schedule ever since i was young, i would stay up to 3 reading or watching tv and take small naps in school. Ive been meaning to go to a regular schedule but never could keep it going. I started going to the doctor for sleeping pills but i hate taking them and they only work half the time. I cant lay in bed and think myself to sleep i have to be physically tired or intoxicated and ive been sleeping with the tv on set to sleep mode for years. I dont have a regular sleep time its always random and i end up taking naps.on somedays. I think this ties in with me not being able to workout, i always feel sluggish. Theres no changing my sleep schedule now since i work a 3rd shift job. Im asking anyone whos had similar experience for advice to get active, energy drinks and caffeine doesnt help. I want to lose weight and build muscle to help my self esteem so i can maybe meet women easier. I need to get in shape for my physical and mental well being.

january2011

From what I remember, there have been a number of studies regarding how working the night shift correlates with poor health.

I'd advise changing shifts and looking for a weekend job until you finish school. I suspect that your motivation and laziness are due to your poor sleeping patterns resulting in the lack of good quality sleep.

In the meantime, focus on your need for convenience and change your habits. If you just eat whatever is in the house, then I second your idea that you buy your own healthy foods - though I wouldn't consider beans and tomato soup unhealthy. Also have portable healthier snacks to hand, such as nuts, fruit and some veg.

Build in exercise into your day by keeping some weights nearby as a visual reminder and by walking/running/stretching whenever you've got a spare moment. If you can fix a chin-up bar to the doorway of your room, that might help.

Don't watch TV or go on the internet, read a book instead. Or listen to music while you do your evening prep.

You have to create healthy habits so that they become second nature. This may require visual cues, such as a timetable or list tacked to your wall, to prompt you to take action.

• Author

Ive been out of school a couple years now, and it would be hard to change jobs at the moment everything pays less or is further from town. Id rather keep the night shift because it pays a premium. But even so would it be healthy so long as I maintain a good schedule around work, like stay up a couple hours after work and sleep till a couple hours before work? I mean do the light levels matter and like melatonin and your circadian rhythm play in by being nocturnal? I think the advice on food is good but theres not many other foods they eat and i dont particularly like those things especially having to cook the meat with nothing to go with it but the visual cues might help ill try it. Today is a good case in point ,I actually have been up all night i took an ambien a couple hours ago watched a movie and im still up. I planned on running errands and looking for a second job today but i know if i fall asleep now i wont wake up before the staffing agencies close so now while typing this under that drugged feeling im just going to have to stay up and take care of everything now then fall asleep around noon wake up idk when. Lol when will it end

january2011

You can be healthier, but I still strongly suggest looking for another job that has more sociable hours, possibly with a view to re-locating.

From memory, there are long-term health implications of working the night shift that result in a shortened life-span. Unfortunately, I don't remember the findings in detail. A quick Google brought up the following articles:

Night-shift workers warned of health risks

Night Shift Workers in a Whole New Light | Psychology Today

The risks of night work

I understand that in the short-term, it's a means to and end. However, presumably you don't want it to be like this for the rest of your life - having to rely on drugs to keep you going when you don't have a health condition that justifies it.

It ends when you do something to make it end.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, lose the energy drinks (liquid sugar) and Ambien (exercise will help you sleep). Your sleep habits are vital - if you don't get sound relaxed sleep you will not have energy, pure and simple. That's hard if you work overnight, or are a night owl like me - maybe a blindfold and earplugs would help?

Start an exercise regimen slow - no sense training for Ironman or UFC right off the bat. Anything cardio will help, especially if you're interested in being more attractive to women (your cardio level determines your stamina in bed, BTW). Yoga will also help you relax and sleep better, and just be physically active as much as you can. There's a ton of low impact workouts on Hulu and Netflix if you can afford that.

I hear you that family will not listen to your requests for healthy food - parents have ways of getting back at their grown children, :laugh: yes they do. Forego as much as you can and go to the farmers' market as much as you can afford.

My observations, that's all.

Take at least 1000 iu of Vitamin D3. Since you are sleeping during the day, you aren't getting enough sunshine which your body needs to convert D3.

Nothing wrong with eating tomato soup and meat. Just add in lots of vegetables. They are cheap when sold in large bags in the frozen food section. Cook them and put salsa on them for flavor. No French fries, though. Choose different colors of vegetable, i.e carrots and spinach or squash and broccoli. Fresh tomatoes as a snack. Buy the little ones and eat them like candy.

Edited by FitChick