energy drinks or protein shakes?

xpaperxcutx

I've been doing alot of cardio lately, taking 3 45 minute classes a day ( mostly kick boxing and dance aerobics) coupled with 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of strength training. I've been upping my calories slowly because I know the energy I've expanded needed to be replenished, but because I'm at the gym most of the day, I hardly have time to eat save for breakfast and lunch. I prefer to workout on an empty stomach but once I'm done, I get hungry very quickly. I don't want my body to break down my muscles for fuel, so I'm wondering about what kind of shakes or drinks I should have immediately after my workouts?

I get out of the gym around 8 so eating at night so eating is not a good option for me because that'll just force my body to store fat. I'm trying to train to build my endurance and get my body into fat burning mode, so I've been upping my protein intake, but I also notice I need enough carbs to last me through my cardio and aerobics.

I know most meal replacements and shakes are empty calories in general but if I drink in between my classes I hope I won't tire myself out in between workouts. I've seen most people drink some sort of energy drink in place of water ( which is actually my beverage of choice).

I know there are certain drinks that are low in cal, I've checked certain products sold at GNC, and there are plenty of choices to choose from. But what I want to know is which is better, energy drinks ( that are high in carbs) or protein drinks ( that are low in carbs?

• Author
xpaperxcutx
Protein drinks

I know protein drinks will help build and repair my muscle but will they be good to drink in between workouts? I know they can fill me up and work better as meal replacements, but do I also need an energy drink to up my carbs? I'm a little wary about drinking my calories but if I have to, to stay energized I'll do it.

Protein drinks.

If you really need carbs, get low-gi carbs like in fruit.

The sugary hits from energy drinks like red bull are baaaad.

tanbark813

I vote for protein drinks.

An energy drink now and then is fine but if you're regularly working out on an empty stomach, not eating much, and consuming energy drink after energy drink you're just waiting for a crash and/or injury. Plus, you need good carbs not sugar.

Definitely protein drinks.

I drink a solution of whey even when I just do cardio. I feel better and a bit more energized than going off on a totally empty stomach.

Watered down gatorade is good too. Gotta get those electrolytes.

FleshNBones

If you really want some carbs then eat a sandwich, and wash it down with plenty of water. If you want extra protein then add some meat or lowfat cheese (some fat is necessary) in there. If you want more carbs, then throw in a sliced bannana.

Tour de france racers will eat sandwiches while on the go. Those racers are on a high carb, low fat diet. They also limit their protein intake.

I remember reading somewhere that a small percentage of protein in combination with carbs will increase the rate of glycogen absorption.

First you need to tell us what you're trying to achieve...Weight loss or Muscle building? They both are different...Muscle building you want protein, a lot of it...If you're trying to lose weight, cut the carbs. Also...

When you said...

"so eating is not a good option for me because that'll just force my body to store fat". I dont understand...thats a myth. You can eat anytime...if you have food digesting while you sleep, it still digests. A protein shake is ESSENTIAL before bed when you're muscle building.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been doing alot of cardio lately, taking 3 45 minute classes a day ( mostly kick boxing and dance aerobics) coupled with 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of strength training. I've been upping my calories slowly because I know the energy I've expanded needed to be replenished, but because I'm at the gym most of the day, I hardly have time to eat save for breakfast and lunch. I prefer to workout on an empty stomach but once I'm done, I get hungry very quickly. I don't want my body to break down my muscles for fuel, so I'm wondering about what kind of shakes or drinks I should have immediately after my workouts?

I get out of the gym around 8 so eating at night so eating is not a good option for me because that'll just force my body to store fat. I'm trying to train to build my endurance and get my body into fat burning mode, so I've been upping my protein intake, but I also notice I need enough carbs to last me through my cardio and aerobics.

I know most meal replacements and shakes are empty calories in general but if I drink in between my classes I hope I won't tire myself out in between workouts. I've seen most people drink some sort of energy drink in place of water ( which is actually my beverage of choice).

I know there are certain drinks that are low in cal, I've checked certain products sold at GNC, and there are plenty of choices to choose from. But what I want to know is which is better, energy drinks ( that are high in carbs) or protein drinks ( that are low in carbs?

I hardly have time to eat save for breakfast and lunch.

You are screwing your metabolism up by doing this, and hindering your weight loss. Make time to eat, and eat 4-5 meals a day. This is actually more important than sticking to your ridiculous workout schedule, because your Basal Metabolic Rate accounts for 80% of the calories that you burn.

I get out of the gym around 8 so eating at night so eating is not a good option for me because that'll just force my body to store fat.

Completely untrue. I sure hope that you eat after a heavy workout, you need to replenish the energy stores that you just used up. Additionally, if you do not eat after lifting weights, your muscles cannot repair themselves and you will see no muscle gain.

Get my body into fat burning mode

It's about calorie expenditure minus calorie intake. If you take in less calories your body needs to get those calories from somewhere else, ideally your fat stores but you are really over doing it. By taking 3 45-minute classes a day, running 30 minutes, and lifting for 30 minutes, you are not burning just fat, but you are burning a lot of muscle as well. Once you stop this insane workout plan, which you will, you will gain back all your weight and then some.

If you are serious about weight loss, make a reasonable workout plan. Try High Intensity Interval Training. Get on a weight training program, I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women (there is a weight loss program). Finally, join fitday and track your caloric intake.

And your original question - protein shakes, and get one with whey protein.

I agree with "On Edge". You are totally jacking up your body. First your body needs fuel, think of a truck pulling a heavy load on very low fuel! You should NEVER go to bed hungry! What do you think you body is going to do, just forget about being hungry the whole night. WRONG, it will rob that from your muscle, cause it want to survive! If you are serious about results. You must eat properly! Workout( weight resistance and cardio ) and REST! One day workout, then rest the next day. If you want to trim and get lean, drop the sports drinks, if you want to bulk up, have the sports drink, and then have protein shakes with-in one hour after the workout. Look up the majic hour after a workout! Your body is not dumb, if you think your are burning fat calories on a empty stomach, think again, its going to keep that fat, and steal your protein from your muscles, cause you are not providing it the nutrients it needs! I don't want you to waste your time! Good Luck! I have been wanting to trim up, so I lost almost 20lbs in the last few months, while keeping my muscles. I watch what I eat, and do not skip meals! Smaller meals throught the day! Also, at night if you are hungry, have a tablespoon of honey!

J

http://www.ehow.com/how_5222491_lose-lbs-fast.html

• 2 weeks later...
Lauriebell82

Wow, it sounds like you are working out WAY too hard. Like others said, you are going either injure yourself or just get so exausted that you stop working out completely (the ladder has happened to me)

That being said, protein drinks are the way to go. My fiance buys "Muscle Milk" which really helps him. I buy the girly version the Muscle Milk light in order to maintain energy and lean muscle.

Slow down at the gym and drink some protein. You'll be good.

It's not exciting and it takes longer, but you need to work out the old fashioned way by developing your strength and conditioning naturally, over a period of weeks and months.

In a choice between the two, it's definitely a shake. A protein shake is good if you haven't really eaten much by the time you begin your workout; however, you don't want to make that a habit. Instead, get your protein, calories, and your workout "fuel" naturally. Eat eggs, fish, meats, and poultry, and don't forget your vegetables.

I would avoid energy drinks like the plague. They are not harmful in limited quantities, but the mistake people make is to drink them as if they are some sort of natural supplement, which they absolutely aren't. They're loaded with caffeine and sugar. You might as well have coffee and a few cans of Mountain Dew. Energy drinks basically take those things and condense it into one drink with maybe a splash of fruit juice or extract - not at all healthy. An energy drink is fine if you're studying for final exams and need one last boost to stay awake during a cram session, but it's bad for general fitness.

Instead drink plenty of good fluids: a good sports drink like Gatorade isn't a bad idea. It's safe to drink and it will immediately replace your body's salts and minerals that you lose when you sweat; however, water is good as well, it's minus the sugars which you're trying to get rid of during a workout, and it's cheaper.

As for your endurance, don't rely on special supplements for that -- bad idea. Instead just gradually build up your natural endurance on your own through good dieting and regular exercise. Avoid the temptation to skip workouts; try your best to maintain you regimen religiously unless it's otherwise unavoidable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
It's not exciting and it takes longer, but you need to work out the old fashioned way by developing your strength and conditioning naturally, over a period of weeks and months.

In a choice between the two, it's definitely a shake. A protein shake is good if you haven't really eaten much by the time you begin your workout; however, you don't want to make that a habit. Instead, get your protein, calories, and your workout "fuel" naturally. Eat eggs, fish, meats, and poultry, and don't forget your vegetables.

I would avoid energy drinks like the plague. They are not harmful in limited quantities, but the mistake people make is to drink them as if they are some sort of natural supplement, which they absolutely aren't. They're loaded with caffeine and sugar. You might as well have coffee and a few cans of Mountain Dew. Energy drinks basically take those things and condense it into one drink with maybe a splash of fruit juice or extract - not at all healthy. An energy drink is fine if you're studying for final exams and need one last boost to stay awake during a cram session, but it's bad for general fitness.

Instead drink plenty of good fluids: a good sports drink like Gatorade isn't a bad idea. It's safe to drink and it will immediately replace your body's salts and minerals that you lose when you sweat; however, water is good as well, it's minus the sugars which you're trying to get rid of during a workout, and it's cheaper.

As for your endurance, don't rely on special supplements for that -- bad idea. Instead just gradually build up your natural endurance on your own through good dieting and regular exercise. Avoid the temptation to skip workouts; try your best to maintain you regimen religiously unless it's otherwise unavoidable.

Yeah I understand, I guess I'm just really impatient. I know results are more lasting if I can take it one step at a time and not resort to something as extreme as yo-yo dieting.

I was previously addicted to Redbull but it gave me the jitters and since I've been off that ( for 3 months now) I find I'm much better with anything resembling a stimulant.

I try to keep my diet as clean as possible. I'm a vegetarian, so I only eat (organic) vegetables and fruits, but I'm particularly finicky about the fruits I eat. I've occasionally gone on periods of raw foodism to eating mainly salads etc.

Hydration is important. I only drink water, and I avoid anything carbonated. I like protein shakes but sometimes they're too sweet for me ( they often have too much sugar substitute) and I avoid energy drinks now because they feel like empty calories.

Yeah okay, I know my diet is extreme, but I'm trying to eat better. I have added suppliments ( Centrum) and CO Q10. I'm also trying to eat healthier so I don't need to drink too much protein for energy use.

One day at a time I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Energy drinks will do nothing for you in terms of helping to get in shape.

I prefer to workout on an empty stomach

Why? It doesn't have any benefit to do that.

The 'don't eat carbs after sunset' rule is crap, especially considering all the exercise you're doing.

If you're an active person, you need carbohydrates as well as proteins, fats too!

As long as you're not eating 2kg of ice cream in the evenings you're not going to store excess fat.