Using Wii to Exercise...?

Hubby and I bought a Wii this weekend, and started to use it to exercise. My husband hates the gym so it's hard to get him to go. The Wii is more interactive for us and fun!

We each have a goal of losing 10-15 pounds to put our BMI's at 22.00. We also plan on riding our bikes, hiking, figure skating (me), and taking Iado (me and hubby) and Aikedo (just hubby here, I can't) classes to improve our cardio and overall health...

I had brain surgery four months ago so I can't exercise the way I used to prior to surgery, but the Wii is helping me get back into being active at a comfortable pace, in the comfort of my home. Before surgery I figure skated 2 x a week, took a two hour Iado/Aikido class, went hiking, went to the gym...I even had a personal trainer for 10 sessions to learn the basics.

I have looked up calorie burning information to help me keep track of my goals. I have read several websites that the calories burned via the Wii are conservative (directly from the game) so I am using those to make sure I burn more, not less, then I need to. Supposidly you can burn 127 calories playing the Wii boxing game for 15 minutes (w/ high intensity)

I was talking to one of my best friends about it today and she was mocking me, and extreamly negative about this.

I confronted her on why she wasn't being supportive and she replied that she is supportive of my goal to lose weight, but doesn't like the Wii as a solution (which it isn't, it's one of many tools I plan on using). I thought it was rude and she made me feel like I was being an Idiot, which I am not. Deep down I feel that she is being negative because she is highly competative and doesn't want me to lose the weight.

Anyone else use the Wii and did you have any results?

Also, I plan on making sure I am always working at a high intentisty to get the most out of my workouts and general game playing.

I am 148 pounds and would like to weight 130 or so (maybe less). I would like to lose 1 pound a week, by burning 250 calories more then I take in and eating 250 calories less to equal the 500 calories needed to lose a pound a week...I feel that these are easy goals that I can encorporate for the long run, not just until I meet my weight loss goals...

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

tallbrunettmom

I used my Wii fit for about 6 months and absolutly never gained but never lost. I ran for 20 minutes and stepped for 10 minutes. I did though have some muscle tone so it wasn't a lost effort. But as far as weight went it pretty much was the same. But good luck....any exercise is good exercise.

• Author

Bummer, well then hopefuly by also cutting out calories I eat I will notice some results. I have to say the Wii Fit so far isn't very intense, but the EA Active game is, and there is a 30 day challenge. The good thing is that there is a routine setup so the exercises come one after the other with out having to pause to select the next exercise. This will help maintain my heart rate.

Thanks again for the info!

well in comparison to typical stuff it isnt very good as far as being efficient. But i agree with the previous poster some is better then none. Sorry to hear about your surgery and do what you are comfortable doing.

15 minutes on the wii is about 127 calories.

15 minutes on a elliptical is about 450 calories.

15 minutes on a treadmill is about 700 calories.

White Flower

It sounds like you are well on your way and you'll just have to prove your friend wrong!

I started using the Wii and have lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks. I hadn't exercised regularly in a while, so it was like starting over. Any exercise is better than no exercise, right?

Good luck in your recovery and your new regimen.

I started using the Wii and have lost 12 lbs in 6 weeks.

What programs are you using ? Running ?

I had always heard that the Wii was just a mediocre routine...

White Flower
What programs are you using ? Running ?

I had always heard that the Wii was just a mediocre routine...

Running and step aerobics. The Wii system gives you little tidbits such as it's better to work out 3 times per day at 6-9 minutes each time instead of doing it all at once. Nobody ever told me this and guess what? It's been working for me!

Running and step aerobics. The Wii system gives you little tidbits such as it's better to work out 3 times per day at 6-9 minutes each time instead of doing it all at once. Nobody ever told me this and guess what? It's been working for me!

Thanks.. I might pick that up.. I never seem to have time to go downstairs anymore to ... elliptical, treadmill and universal gym..

The little runt is always upstairs :)

well in comparison to typical stuff it isnt very good as far as being efficient. But i agree with the previous poster some is better then none. Sorry to hear about your surgery and do what you are comfortable doing.

15 minutes on the wii is about 127 calories.

15 minutes on a elliptical is about 450 calories.

15 minutes on a treadmill is about 700 calories.

Whoa. These numbers are way wrong! Here's a site with some reasonable estimates of calories burned per hour of activity for differing body weights. Keep in mind that the more fit you become, the fewer calories you will burn, and also that this chart represents total calories burned, not just the incremental caloires from the activity (you'd burn something just in doing "nothing" for that same hour).

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Best way to lose weight is to eat less. Second best is to add some sort of weight training to your program so that you will increase muscle mass, which has a higher metabolic rate than fat.

White Flower
Thanks.. I might pick that up.. I never seem to have time to go downstairs anymore to ... elliptical, treadmill and universal gym..

The little runt is always upstairs :)

Yeah, just go at it for 9-10 minutes at a time during a break from whatever 'the runt', lol, is doing. See if that helps. I'm thinking of adding the Wii yoga into my daily regimen. And I should think about some weight training so I can burn more fat.

• Author

Hi All! Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while. So the Wii does make you sweat, and breath heavy. Sometimes in between certain exercises it's slow, so I will jog in place to keep my heart rate up...

I haven't really lost anything .7 lbs, which prob. doesn't count for much... but it's a start. Thanks for the info, I will post back my progress.