It would seem that most of the residents of Loveshack don't have any problems with physical fitness and weight.

Well I have. I need to stop my smoking. Are there ex-smokers in the forum? I would like to know how you did it.

• Author

My other problem is that I can't see my feet anymore when I stand up. Anybody with this kind of problem?

I'm an ex smoker, and I'm losing weight. I had my stomach stapled like Carnie Phillips did to lose weight, and in order to do that, I stopped smoking, so I wouldn't have complications with them putting me under.

Stopping smoking wasn't hard for me. Once you get past the initial cravings for smoking, you are ok. They have perscription medication called Wellbutrin that is designed to help you stop smoking AND lose weight...its also used to treat depression. Ask your doctor about it.

I've never, ever taken even the first puff out of a cigarette.

But my father smoked all his life and watching him die of cancer...shrinking from 180 pounds to less than half that...turning yellow when the cancer matasticized to his liver...watching him not able to swallow and being given tiny chunks of ice in his mouth for liquid...seeing him suffer like this especially in his final two weeks....made me so very happy I have never smoked.

A video of my father's last days would have cured anyone from ever smoking again. It's suffering like you could never imagine.

I went to my doctor for help, he prescribed Welbutrin and a Nicatrol inhaler. After the first week I pretty much had beaten the craven. I can remember the days getting harder by each day. Though, it seemed by the 6th or 7th day I wasn't climbing walls any longer. From that point on it takes mental strength.

I was living in Miami at the time and I had quit for a full month to the day. I was preparing for a category 4 hurricane and was having panic attacks every hour on the hour as it drew closer, I lost my nerve and bought a pack. Ive been smoking since than.

( I figured I was destined to die that night anyway! ) LOL

So learn from me, don't smoke no matter what stressful situations life may through your way.

• Author

I was able to stop smoking for about a year and a half. But I had to stop going out with friends. Almost became a hermit. Then in the wake of my grandfather, my friends came.

Wakes in the Philippines are a festive affair. Practically a party. Well beer and rhum flowed, then I lighted a cigarette again. Haven't stopped since.

Though medicines you mentioned haven't reached the Philippines yet. And I know that it would be very expensive. So that means that I have to rely on willpower alone.

I did that too. Went out and partied with some friends and let the urge take over me, I smoked my first Menthol and I was hooked on them. It took a lot to quit, but I still want one...I guess I always will. It's so hard because every day I want one, but it's all about mind power.

It's intresting that you are talking about smoking. I have a boyfriend who is against smoking, and I quit smoking for a while, but I have started back again. I feel guilty because I know he hates it, but does he really have a right to ask me to not smoke?

i think this is a hard Qn...

yes, it's harmful as hell and u'll likely die from it

but the question is - do u care how and from what u die?

if u don't, and u consciously make this choice, go ahead and smoke!... some people just don't care. perhaps they're planning on suicide before cancer gets to them. who knows.

i personally don't smoke because i think life's more enjoyable with a healthy body. i'm also undecided on having kids, and i know if i do, i'd raise them in a smoke-free house.

on the other hand, i LOVE the smell of smoke. i love it when my clothes smell like it after i go to a bar. i also love kissing guys who just smoked and then took a mint into their mouth. the minty smoke taste is very on-turning for me ...

on the third hand, smokes are a waste of cash. i'm sure everyone can find better stuff to spend those 25 bucks a week on ...

my personal resolution is ... i aint smoking; as for my man, he can smoke socially if he likes, but not every single day, and not in my house.

that's my view!

-yes

i think your bf has the right to ask u to quit

and u have the right to refuse

and he has the right to leave u - whether b/c of inconsideration or b/c of personal health concerns or b/c he doesnt wanna go trhu seeing his s.o. die of cancer

but perhaps he'll overlook all this and stay with you!

hell, he might even start smoking, too...

-yes

• Author

Bought this used book about how to quit smoking. No-Nag, No-Guilt something was the title.

I haven't really sat down to read it. But in the first few pages, they explained why smoking is so addictive. It has been educational for me. I just have to follow the techniques mentioned in the book.

I'll update you guys on my progress. As of now, I smoke an average of 2 packs a day. I plan to cut it down to 1 pack by December. Wish me luck.

out of curiousity, what brand do you smoke? My husband switched over to some off-brand packaged in Latvia, and I've noticed that he doesn't smoke near as much. Not only that, for some reason the fumes aren't as bothersome as when he was chain-smoking an American brand. Don't know if the tobacco is "cleaner" or what, but we're both satisfied with this new product.