Has anyone gotten results at Curves? I've been going for a month with very little change, except the week I way changed my eating habits (to nearly nothing). I need some push to keep me motivated.

I worked with a woman who went from a size 16 to a 4 by going to curves- I do believe she went everyday though.

• Author

Wow that's impressive. I go 3 times a week right now. The owner showed me a lady I met (still needed to lose) who lost nearly 100 lbs. she also goes daily. Okay so I can lose weight I just have to keep at it.

• Author

It's a type of fitness center. The machines are different and I wondered if they worked. They're hydraullic, I think.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine tried it out, she lost some weight but said it was not that different from any other training. Might still work for you though.

Kristine, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Perhaps you have hit a plateu..and now need to challenge your body. If you are weight training increase your weights...make sure you ae exhausting your muscles, or your are really not doing anything. Weight training is the ONLY way you are going to change your body. Make sure you're taking vitamins and supplements and getting plenty of rest as well....

Good luck!!!

I've never been but my mom has. She struggles with a weight problem. She was commited to curves for 1 year without seeing any results. Now remind you, she was not dieting (extensively) at the time, but she was going every day. It was really hard for her because she was not seeing any results.

Here is what I know about the system at curves (and please correct me if I have made any mistakes here as I don't personally use that gym): the routine never changes, the amount of weight never changes, and there is not real opportuity to get your heart rate up (required to boost your metabolism & burn more calories throughout the day). The only thing you can alter is the repetitions, but repititions don't cause change. To get results you have to continuously shock your body. This happens by doing a number of different exercise routines,say a different one for every day of the week that you work out.

Also, as your strength increases, you have to increase the resistance such that your body is always shocked, and your muscles have to push and get fatigued.

I know curves is a hot seller for women because it is all women, and there is a social aspect to it, and you don't feel the pressures that you feel at regular gyms. I know my mom, who is older and a little overweight, felt very self conscious at regular gyms.

I suggest to you, ask I suggested to her (not that you are at all in the same situation as she is), is to get a membership at an all women's gym, or at least a gym that has a woman's only section. Then you should get a personal trainer (I am not one, I have jsut been very active and envolved in physical activity my whole life), and ask to get a work out regime that you can do in a fitness studio (many gyms have fitness studios filled with weights and bozu balls etc. and you can use them anytime there is no class going on). This way you get a professional guidance, and a comfortable atmosphere.

Or I would also suggest picking up an Oxygen or Women's Health mag and trying some excersices from there. I developed all my work out routines from a magazine, getting the people working at the gym to assist me and make sure my technique was correct. Oh and don't forgetabout cardio. FItness classes are great and really motivating, and are usually offered at no extra expense at gyms.

Anyway I know this is the longest response, I hope it was somewhat helpful. Good luck with choosing a gym and workout routine.

AriaIncognito

I believe Curves only employs resistance training? Correct? I guess like Bowflex and the like.

There are stations and you do each station once or twice or whatever. A friend of mine went there, but didn't see much result. I think like everything else, it'll work for some, but not everyone.

StartingOver07
Has anyone gotten results at Curves? I've been going for a month with very little change, except the week I way changed my eating habits (to nearly nothing). I need some push to keep me motivated.

The real question is: what type of results do you want to get? If you want to lose weight, that's about making lasting changes to your diet -- what and how much you eat. If you want to "tone up," which is a function of adding muscle and reducing bodyfat, then you need some form of weight lifting in conjunction with dietary changes.