StudentUser

Hi,

I am wishing to define my pecks. At the moment they are flat :laugh:

I have been doing dumbbell bench presses, dumbbell incline presses and dumbbell flyes with 6kg in each hand.

But whenever I do them I never feel any burn or strain on my pectoral muscles. Instead its all around my shoulders.

So really I'm asking is this the best way to define my pecs? Or should I be considering other ways that are known to be better.

i can only tell you what worked for me.my chest was also lacking,tried alot of different things. i also felt it in my shoulders after lifting. my traps were my strong point,and was taking away from my benching. so i started doing shrugs"before" any benching,flyes.that made a huge difference.i had to go alittle lighter,as i didn't have traps to assist anymore.but it does fry the pecs.

Hi,

I am wishing to define my pecks. At the moment they are flat :laugh:

I have been doing dumbbell bench presses, dumbbell incline presses and dumbbell flyes with 6kg in each hand.

But whenever I do them I never feel any burn or strain on my pectoral muscles. Instead its all around my shoulders.

So really I'm asking is this the best way to define my pecs? Or should I be considering other ways that are known to be better.

First off:

How old are you?

What's your height/weight?

How many reps are you doing per set?

No offense meant but 6kg sounds really light. Maybe you need more weight. You also might need to have your elbows out more to focus more on using your pecs.

You should also be doing bench presses with a barbell. Flat, incline, and decline.

Also, eat a lot of protein after lifting. The working out only stimulates growth. The growth itself comes from the right nutrition.

• Author
StudentUser
i started doing shrugs"before" any benching,flyes.that made a huge difference.i had to go alittle lighter,as i didn't have traps to assist anymore.but it does fry the pecs.

Thanks I'll give it a try :)

First off:

How old are you?

What's your height/weight?

How many reps are you doing per set?

1. 16

2. Weight ~65kg

3. 10 reps a set

No offense meant but 6kg sounds really light. Maybe you need more weight.

Haha no offense taken. Well I usually use 8kg on each arm, but this is after about half an hour of using them so I normally tone down a bit on the weight.

You also might need to have your elbows out more to focus more on using your pecs.

I've got some pretty detailed notes on how to do them: I reckon I've got my elbows locked low enough.

You should also be doing bench presses with a barbell. Flat, incline, and decline.

No access to one. Only have dumbbells and a bench.

Also, eat a lot of protein after lifting. The working out only stimulates growth. The growth itself comes from the right nutrition.

Yeah yeah I know :) Got a protein drink.. That is enough, right?

3. 10 reps a set

How easy is the 10th rep? Ideally you should be using a weight where you can just barely finish the 8th or 10th rep.

Haha no offense taken. Well I usually use 8kg on each arm, but this is after about half an hour of using them so I normally tone down a bit on the weight.

What are you doing for a half hour beforehand? If you're mainly concerned with your chest you might want to work that first.

Yeah yeah I know :) Got a protein drink.. That is enough, right?

Depends on the drink. :D The rule of thumb is 1g of protein per pound of body weight (2.2g per kg of body weight) per day. You can probably get by with less than that as that's the standard for bodybuilders.

You can find a lot of info at www.bodybuilding.com

They have a forum that's really helpful as well as a bunch of articles.

Also, what I said above are just general opinions rather than absolute facts.

heartoutside

I usually do incline bench, regular bench and a cross over pull....you can google the cross over pull.

But what tanbark is saying is dead on.

Agree with Tan's advice too. The 6kg does seem light. I've also heard that if you've got enough strength left to do a 4th set, your weights are too light.

In addition, sounds like you might be an ectomorph, though it's tough to tell with guys your age though as the metabolism is usually pretty crazy.

Eat lots of food, especially protein. Make grilled chicken your best friend.