Do you know of any homeopathic remedies that you have heard of or better yet tried and think they work, or any that failed to live up to the lore?

For example, instead of a drastic stomach pump I started taking vinegar for my food poisoning and it seems to be doing the trick. (Do not try any of this without consulting with your medical doctor first of course!).

Do you mean "home remedies" or "homeopathic" remedies? They are two different things...

I don't put much faith in homeopathy.

Homeopathy is the most unscientific health 'science' on the planet.

There is absolutely no scientific proof that homeopathy works. There is only anecdotal evidence from the last 100 years, which for me doesn't cut the mustard.

I actually know people who have been made sicker by homeopathy.

If it worked, why don't the leading homeopaths invest some of the millions of pounds they make off gullible punters in some decent randomised control trials to prove so, and therefore give themselves more credibility in the world of medical science?

Even a few published journal articles demonstrating pilot studies would be better than what exists now, which is SFA.

So many people slag off western medicine, but at least billions of pounds a year is invested in accurate scientific research to make sure it works and is safe before it reaches our pharmacies.

The same can't be said for homeopathy, and I wouldn't put that stuff into my body- some of it is derived from poisons. Nice.

Rather than "homeopathic remedies," I'd rather use "alternative medicine." I agree that the evidence behind homeopathic remedies is often anecdotal at best, while many aspects of alternative medicine (acupuncture, meditation, herbal treatments) have some science behind them.

That said, the alternative treatment for depression that I take--rhodiola rosea--has been very effective to me. I tried a series of traditional prescribed antidepressants and suffered the side effects (extreme fatigue, dizziness, loss of appetite, horrible taste in my mouth, lack of any emotion whatsoever). The drugs may have helped the depression, but I couldn't tell because I was so out of it from the other effects of the drugs.

I weaned myself off those drugs and looked for alternatives. Tried Panax ginseng, which worked, but the studies of it only go for three months. It can be toxic beyond that. So at three months, I stopped taking it. However, for me, it was very effective and had no side effects.

Then I read about another herb, rhodiola rosea. It's definitely difficult to use the Internet to find legitimate studies of these treatments. Most sites are geared to selling supplements, rather than to explaining the pros and cons of herbal treatments. However, I managed to find legitimate informational resources and found that rhodiola rosea also has no side effects and no known long-term repercussions. That was good enough for me to try it. And it worked. I take it every day, along with a B-complex vitamin. While they don't cure the depression, they alleviate it substantially.

Anyone should talk to their doctor or therapist before trying an alternative treatments of any kind, but I would recommend finding a traditional doctor who is open to the idea of alternative treatments. (I wouldn't see one who isn't informed about these approaches.) Like traditional medications, not all alternative herbal treatments work the same for everyone. It takes trial and error. But I do believe they work, and there's evidence to support it.

• Author

There is absolutely no scientific proof that homeopathy works. There is only anecdotal evidence from the last 100 years, which for me doesn't cut the mustard.

What about the Chinese who have used it for thousands of years and live to be the oldest in the world?

I actually know people who have been made sicker by homeopathy.

And I know more who have been made sicker by regular medical care.

If it worked, why don't the leading homeopaths invest some of the millions of pounds they make off gullible punters in some decent randomised control trials to prove so, and therefore give themselves more credibility in the world of medical science?

There are lots of successful trials done.

Even a few published journal articles demonstrating pilot studies would be better than what exists now, which is SFA.

They can't publish them in regular medical journals. The pharmaceutical lobbies which control those journals don't accept them.

So many people slag off western medicine, but at least billions of pounds a year is invested in accurate scientific research to make sure it works and is safe before it reaches our pharmacies.

On that's why every year there are so many recalls such as for heart and cholesterol medications after people start dying left and right after taking them or suffering from irreversible severe side effects.

In fact pharmaceutical companies, which are the largest lobbiests in the world, even wanted vitamins and herbal supplements to be available only with a prescription so that doctors would prescribe medical poisonous alternatives instead so they could continue their profit levels. I think the UK was the closest to pass that law.

The same can't be said for homeopathy, and I wouldn't put that stuff into my body- some of it is derived from poisons. Nice.

That makes no sense. Chemo for example is a highly toxic poison.

Rather than "homeopathic remedies," I'd rather use "alternative medicine."

That said, the alternative treatment for depression that I take--rhodiola rosea--has been very effective to me. I tried a series of traditional prescribed antidepressants and suffered the side effects (extreme fatigue, dizziness, loss of appetite, horrible taste in my mouth, lack of any emotion whatsoever). The drugs may have helped the depression, but I couldn't tell because I was so out of it from the other effects of the drugs.

Like traditional medications, not all alternative herbal treatments work the same for everyone. It takes trial and error. But I do believe they work, and there's evidence to support it.

I absolutely support many alternative therapies, and as a registered, practicing health professional, I try to work with my patients to find therapies that work for them if they ask me to.

I too have successfully used rhodiola rosea, acupuncture and several other alternative therapies.

What about the Chinese who have used it for thousands of years and live to be the oldest in the world?

I think you may find that homeopathy and traditional Chinese medicine are actually two very different branches of alternative therapy.

And I know more who have been made sicker by regular medical care.

I wasn't aware this was a competition. You asked for opinions, I have given you mine. A very good friend of mine was made very ill by homeopathy, but as it isn't as regulated as conventional medicine, she couldn't complain, she couldn't hold the homeopath accountable, she couldn't even get her money back.

Conventional medicine does fail people. However conventional medicine is regulated and can be held accountable if that happends. Conventional medicine has improved in leaps and bounds in the last 100 years, and in most western countries has significantly increased the average life expectancy. you can't say that about homeopathy.

There are lots of successful trials done.

They can't publish them in regular medical journals. The pharmaceutical lobbies which control those journals don't accept them.

They must publish them in some peer reviewed journals though? Where are they? I would really like to read them.

You don't have to be accepted by the pharmaceutical community to do trials that are acceptable to the scientific community.

Again, I ask why the homeopaths don't publicise more of their research to give them more credibility. Even the head of the UK Homeopathic Society couldn't quote any research when I last heard him speak.

On that's why every year there are so many recalls such as for heart and cholesterol medications after people start dying left and right after taking them or suffering from irreversible severe side effects.

Umm, can you name some of these drugs please? I haven't heard of any that have been recalled recently, and I am regularly updated on such matters.

In fact pharmaceutical companies, which are the largest lobbiests in the world, even wanted vitamins and herbal supplements to be available only with a prescription so that doctors would prescribe medical poisonous alternatives instead so they could continue their profit levels. I think the UK was the closest to pass that law.

The petroleum industry is the largest lobbying industry in the world, not the pharmaceutical industry.

Would you be happy if the pharmaceutical industry ceased to exist tomorrow? What a great thing that would be.

The pharmaceutical industry is constantly being reviewed and questioned by the medical profession. It cannot exist for profit alone. That is a paradox.

Chemo for example is a highly toxic poison

Yes, you are right. However that is the whole idea behind chemo. It is MEANT to be a poison, and it works in a large number of cases, as the substantial evidence shows.

I don't know why you are getting so defensive Fun2BMe. Its entirely up to you what you do to your body, I just gave my opinion (which happens to be relatively well informed, as I try to keep as up to date as possible with my profession).

Examining different views on anything is always a good way to find out more about it.

I've always favored mixing alternative treatments & traditional medicine.

I have had great success using acupunture in conjunction with western medicine.

I also believe meditation and yoga are great for helping some chronic illnesses. Plus lifestyles changes are also vary important.

I am somewhat scepitcal of some homeopathic medicine. But i have also had success with feverfew & vitimans.

ANd I agree ther eis a difference between homepathy and chinese medicine.