elliptical vs. treadmill

Hey all,

Just getting back into doing cardio again and just wondering, does the elliptical burn the same amount of calories as the treadmill. I always feel I am working harder on the treadmill then I am on an elliptical. I like the elliptical as it is less stress on the knees but I always feel I get a better workout on the treadmill. Thanks in advance.

I would be interested in knowing as well..

I was looking at them tonight .

I was thinking of getting both as I can't seem to run right on an elliptical.

I am going to be buying an elliptical trainer in a week. I made the decision to go with an ET over a TM, because I want to concentrate on my upper body, too. ET's have the dual action handlebars. I would think that an ET would burn more calories because of that ability.

Treadmill's seem to concentrate on just the lower portion of the body.

Just my two cents.

At the gym I go to most people say the elliptical machines burn more calories. I personally like the elliptical machines better because I feel you get a better workout.

If you don't think you are getting enough exercise on the elliptical then turn up the tention.

They both have monitors and I don't know how reliable they are but I can burn 800 calories in an hour on the elliptical.

I guess the most important part is you use either one, they won't do you any good just setting in a room. :D

• Author

yeah Im going to start doing that high intensity interval training on the elliptical I decided. Anyone ever do the HIIT training I guess it works great. I will let you know. Im a long time lifter and now that Im done playing football I dont see the need to be as bulky anymore so I am trying to cut some weight. Thanks for your help.

Ellipticals are great! I own one. Just make sure you have plenty of room. The one I got is kinda big and takes up quite a bit of space lengthwise. Also, make sure your ceilings are high. If you're tall, like I am, it might pose a problem in a room with regular height ceilings.

This last week I just put in a real nice home gym, treadmill and an elliptical.

It took me 11 hours to setup and install the damn stuff but I got in a good workout tonight..

30 mins on the treadmill and 20 mins on the elliptical... and then upper body and legs on the leg press.

I use the treadmill/indoor track in the winter and the outside track during the summer.

I've never actually used the elliptical.

brokenhart2007

I do half a cardio work out on elliptical and the other half on the TM. I like elliptical better, first because it's non-weight baring (better for joints)...it's hard to say about what calories it burns, because it depends on the intensity of which you are exercising at. I, personally, burn more calories on the ET but I also mostly just walk/jog on the TM. On the ET I go pretty fast.

If you do the elliptical with no hands, you will acquire great balance ability. You are mostly using your torso to balance, so your abs, buttox, and waist will shape up nicely after doing it long enough. The TM puts more emphasis on the legs, obviously. But I love ET cuz it targets everything in the middle!

I'm the opposite, I feel like I work much harder and get a better work out on the ET, and feel like I'm doing hardly anything on the TM. But everyone is different. I still use the TM because of the weight baring exercise benefits...good for osteoperosis prevention.

• 1 month later...

I believe that the elliptical burns more calories. I HATE/DESPISE/CURSE running. I use the elliptical for my cardio workout three to four days a week. It's much easier on the knees than running.

Mustang Sally

Put in my vote for the elliptical.

I also concur that it is much easier on the knees, and not as noisy (important for those of us who only get to work out after the babies have been put to bed...).

After using both for the last couple of months I have found that I get a harder better workout on the Elliptical..

But the TV is easier to watch on the the treadmill :laugh:

I use the leg press on the universal first before I run though.. just for the xtra burn..

LaughMachine

The elleptical burns callories faster and leaves you less tiresome. In my opinion. I love the elleptical !